Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Aug 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2271219)   #1
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
F1 2008 Round 12 - European Grand Prix, Valencia - 22nd-24th August 2008

The 2008 European Grand Prix will be the twelfth round of the 2008 Formula One season. It will be held from August 22 to August 24 at the Valencia Street Circuit in Valencia, Spain.

Kimi Räikkönen's third place at the Hungarian Grand Prix means he closes the gap to championship leader Lewis Hamilton of McLaren to 5 points. Räikkönen's Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa is in 3rd place, 3 points behind the Finn.

Scuderia Ferrari lead the Constructors' Championship by 11 points from McLaren-Mercedes after Heikki Kovalainen won the Hungarian Grand Prix for the English Constructor. BMW Sauber are 10 points behind McLaren.

Although it will be the first race at Valencia, the European Grand Prix has been held 17 times in Formula One. Fernando Alonso won the 2007 European Grand Prix at the Nürburgring, Germany for McLaren-Mercedes. He and Rubens Barrichello are the only former European Grand Prix winners in the field.

The European Grand Prix has been held in Spain twice before, both times at Jerez de la Frontera. The 1994 race was won by Michael Schumacher, whilst the 1997 race was made infamous by Michael Schumacher's attempt to run Championship rival Jacques Villeneuve off the track, handing Villeneuve the title. Mika Häkkinen eventually won the race.

(I got lazy again! So the above race blurb courtesy of WIKI!!)

Drivers standings AFTER the HUNGARIAN GP (unofficial)
  DriverTeamNat.
L.HamiltonMcLaren-Mercedes
104P136810RETP1010104
K.RaikkonenFerrari
1108106P9RET8536
F.MassaFerrari
RETRET108106410P136P17
R.KubicaBMW-Sauber
RET86558104RET21
N.HeidfeldBMW-Sauber
835P94P14885 P10
H.KovalainenMcLaren-Mercedes
9M.WebberRed Bull-Renault
RET22425P123P10RETP9
(1x4th)

10T.GlockToyota
RETRETP9P11P13P125P11P12RET8
N.PiquetRenault
RETP11RETRETP15RETRET2RET83
R.BarrichelloHonda
DSQP13P11RETP1432P146RETP16
N.RosbergWilliams-Toyota
6P141RET1RETP10P16P9P10P14
8 (1x3rd)
K.NakajimaWilliams-Toyota
3P17P142RET2RETP151P14P13
8 (1x6th)
D.CoulthardRed Bull-Renault
RETP9P18P12P9RET6P9RETP13P11
6 (1x3rd)
S.VettelSTR-Ferrari
Davidson only last on countback as Sutil has a 19th. Bother Drivers have each got a 15th and 16th position.

EDIT:Some comestic changes to fit the page.

Last edited by Bononi; 20 Aug 2008 at 11:43.

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 21:55 (Ref:2271221)   #2
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Constructors standings
 TeamPoints
Ferrari

European GP: Recent Results

Year1st place2nd place3rd place
2007Fernando AlonsoFelipe MassaMark Webber
2006Michael SchumacherFernando AlonsoFelipe Massa
2005Fernando AlonsoNick HeidfeldRubens Barrichello

DriverLaptime
2007 Fastest lapFelipe Massa1.32.853
2007 pole positionKimi Räikkönen1.31.450
Lap recordNoneNone
Laptimes a bit pointless as different track

Weather Links

BBC Weather: www.bbc.co.uk
Weather UnderGround www.wunderground.com
Animated Rainfall Forecasthttp://weather.msn.com (Click "Precipitation forecast" just below the map)
Rainfall Radar http://www.meteogroup.co.uk

And especially for all those Martins out there!! GOOGLE EARTH WEATHER HACKS!

European Grand Prix Time Table (local)
DAYLOCAL TimeUK Time
Fri 22nd August 2008   
Friday Practice 110:00-11:3009:00-10:30
Friday Practice214:00-15:3013:00:14:30

Sat 23rd August 2008  
Saturday Practice11:00-12:0010:00-11:00
Qualifying14:0013:00

Sun 24th August 2008  
Race14:0013:00

European Grand Prix LIVE Chat

Please don't forget to join us in the ten-tenths chat room for live coverage of the Grand Prix!

At the time of going to press the web chat is down. But usually you can log-in through the web here If you can change the "Racer" nickname to your tenths name that
will be helpfull also.

So for now to access the chat you'll need to use a client.

If you're using Firefox, download the Chatzilla addon as the best alternative
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16

Else, download any other IRC client, e.g. http://www.icechat.net/site/

The IRC server is irc.phishy.net, and the room is #motorsport (type "/join #motorsport" without the quotes when you're connected).
If you need any help in joining the chat room.. PM me and I'll try and help if I can.

Other Links

Live Timing
Race Schedule (and other f1 news)
Direct link to 2008 F1 Predictions - Round 12, Europe
All other F1 Predictions Contests

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 22:31 (Ref:2271234)   #3
Good Times
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey / Texas
Good Times should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see Alonso has said Renault have a surprise for this race.
Is that beer can's on the track & nutter's !
Old 18 Aug 2008, 23:21 (Ref:2271250)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Maybe Alonso's surprise will be a visit to the podium.

I'll post these webcams....again.

http://webcam.comunitatvalenciana.co...ncia-puerto-71

Nice work again Cougar.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 23:57 (Ref:2271257)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sticking this one for Fast Cougar !
Old 19 Aug 2008, 00:24 (Ref:2271263)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Cougar, your work, and your effort are really stunning..Am I repeating myself?
Old 19 Aug 2008, 09:46 (Ref:2271435)   #7
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
This should be an interesting race. What are everyone's predictions?

I can foresee two of the BIG FOUR putting themselves out of contention with unforced errors (probably Hamilton & Massa), and the other two having lacklustre races.

Alonso will ride the wave of public support to finish 1st.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 14:14 (Ref:2271573)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just thinking about how much track he is willing to use in places like Monaco, Hamilton's aggressive style may just be a disadvantage to him here. but i suspect a few drivers will introduce themselves to the barriers.

Alonso winning would be awesome. a low fuel quali a la Spain to get pole and then just staying ahead of the pack could be his ticket to gold.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 15:03 (Ref:2271593)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we will see a race with several SCs (possibly getting near Canada 07) and driving a mistake-free race will be important. Hamilton could win this one, but I think Massa won't do well here.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2271598)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Massa's GOT to do well here d_t!

Alonso will figure high up maybe in qual, but I doubt he'll have enough pace in the car for the win, good as it would be!

I'll be interested to see if Glock can once again humble Trulli and get the Cologne car in the top 6 again?
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:56 (Ref:2271647)   #11
hyphen
Rookie

hyphen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
attending anyone?

I'm in Tribuna 4 at turn one & pit exit.
anyone else experiencing Valencia's first F1 live?

PM me if you want to hook up

_h
Old 19 Aug 2008, 22:06 (Ref:2271873)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I wouldn't be surprised to see Renault take the 'low fuel, high grid position' approach with Alonso, as they did at the Spanish GP. I don't think it works particularly well, but maybe he likes a glory run in front of his home crowd.

I think it could throw up a couple of surprises - maybe another unusual visitor to the podium - but I've been horribly conventional in my entry to the predictions competition. I think after Hungary, Hamilton and Massa will both be pretty fired up - although that's not necessarily conducive to getting through the race without stuffing it in a wall.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 19 Aug 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2271875)   #13
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The hot weather will play in Ferrari's hands and going against my predictions post I now think it might give Kimi his first win since April.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 23:42 (Ref:2271900)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I wouldn't be surprised to see Renault take the 'low fuel, high grid position' approach with Alonso, as they did at the Spanish GP. I don't think it works particularly well, but maybe he likes a glory run in front of his home crowd.
It's a track that has a high safety car possibility,so a short fuelled car is taking a very high risk of being caught out.Anyone going for a one-stop strategy will have a much better chance of avoiding a penalty.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 05:42 (Ref:2271992)   #15
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Low fuel strategy can also well turn into advantage. Let's say Alonso has pit stop on lap 15 and most front-runners around lap 20. Safety car between Alonso's and other front-runners would be highly beneficial.

edit: Please someone mod change the first post as it screws the page right now.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2272847)   #16
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu
....edit: Please someone mod change the first post as it screws the page right now.
Screws it right now? What is it doing? Seems to work fine for me and I assume everyone else? Or is the table getting too big and making your window scroll vertically?

Good news for the live chatters!!

European Grand Prix LIVE Chat

Please don't forget to join us in the ten-tenths chat room for live coverage of the Grand Prix!

You can now log-in through the web here It should already have your tenths nick in there so use that if you can

You can still use a chat client if you like...

If you're using Firefox, download the Chatzilla addon as the best alternative
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16

Else, download any other IRC client, e.g. http://www.icechat.net/site/

The IRC server is irc.phishy.net, and the room is #motorsport (type "/join #motorsport" without the quotes when you're connected).
If you need any help in joining the chat room.. PM me and I'll try and help if I can.

Thanks goes to the bosses for sorting it!

Last edited by Cougar; 21 Aug 2008 at 17:47.

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2273172)   #17
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Who is about for FP1 then

Is anybodies ITV video working? Mine is stuck loading..

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2273177)   #18
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah, mine's the same

Shame, would like to have a first look at the track and all the cars scrabbling for grip haha.
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2273178)   #19
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Mine stuck too. Have e mailed ITVF1..
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:35 (Ref:2273183)   #20
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Videos up now
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:35 (Ref:2273184)   #21
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
bgeorge104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta
Mine stuck too. Have e mailed ITVF1..

My ITV video working now after an F5
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:39 (Ref:2273187)   #22
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Yep mine a bit jerky but working.

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2273202)   #23
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 website down.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2273295)   #24
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Rain dance time, people!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0205

Old 22 Aug 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2273302)   #25
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Video link is working fine here now, good way to spend the afternoon at work Do ITV normally have a link up so you can watch practise?