Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Notices

Old 13 Oct 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3150936)   #16
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Merge the 2 so there's 1 GT class.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 16:05 (Ref:3150937)   #17
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
What exactly do they intend on doing ?

Upping GTE to a new GT class , and leaving GT3 for the AM kinda class ?
Doing away with them both and creating a cheaper version of GT2 apparently. GT2.5 if you will.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3150938)   #18
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah but you could build a new car for in theory similar cost that would be eligible for both classes.

So Ferrari could roll out one replacement instead of two. That's the entire point.

Imagine a manufacturer on the outside looking in when this actually gets put into place. If done right you'd have a car you could sell to gentleman drivers and be able to go and compete at Le Mans as a manufacturer.

Will be interesting to see what Ratel thinks about this. Will he embrace it and keep the 'World' tag or again create a haven for older machinery.

It is interesting to see how this fits in with prospective manufacturers. Bentley certainly are one of the ones affected in terms of what they could sell in their first full season.

But you can't park a new concept that could be of huge benefit long-term just because it puts out one manufacturer.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 16:09 (Ref:3150940)   #19
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How will this stop Bentley? They'll make accomodations to fit in all who are racing currently in either class or those who have announced an entry into either class....
Old 13 Oct 2012, 16:14 (Ref:3150943)   #20
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it does work, and proves to be as popular as GT3, how will they determine which of the 200 applicants get a WEC or Le Mans entry?
Old 13 Oct 2012, 16:16 (Ref:3150945)   #21
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
How will this stop Bentley? They'll make accomodations to fit in all who are racing currently in either class or those who have announced an entry into either class....
It's not clear how long they will merge in older machinery though.

So with Bentley planning to develop in '13 and sell in '14, this could limit the number of years you could run it for. If I'm a customer I'd probably just stick with what I had for the extra year and buy a new regs car in '15 that you know you'll get 3/4+ seasons out of.

if they'd budgeted to sell x amount of GT3's it could hurt them.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 16:19 (Ref:3150946)   #22
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
If it does work, and proves to be as popular as GT3, how will they determine which of the 200 applicants get a WEC or Le Mans entry?
Not everyone wants to be in the WEC or go to Le Mans! There are still a lot of other championships to choose from.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3150949)   #23
GTKers
Racer

Italy
Italy
GTKers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SO.... Gt4 will be the new Gt3?? there will be a gt5 category as well?
Old 13 Oct 2012, 16:50 (Ref:3150958)   #24
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think I will never like GT racing as much as I did from 2001-2006-ish with proper multi-class racing. I like the idea of having a Faster GT Class and a Slower One.

What can I say I grew up playing GTR and watching FIA GT as part of the LG Super Weekend package, so that's my idea of GT racing.

I guess I always have some form of solace with the (Dutch) Supercar Challenge...

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 13 Oct 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3150975)   #25
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam46 View Post
I think I will never like GT racing as much as I did from 2001-2006-ish with proper multi-class racing. I like the idea of having a Faster GT Class and a Slower One.

What can I say I grew up playing GTR and watching FIA GT as part of the LG Super Weekend package, so that's my idea of GT racing.

I guess I always have some form of solace with the (Dutch) Supercar Challenge...
Same here... that's why I hope that Grand Am's new for 2013 GX-class carries over into the new North American series and in time becomes a global plattform (minus the tubeframes, maybe). From what I've read the Porsche Cayman might become the mainstay of that class and I think that would be a good car to build a lower class around. No V8s allowed either.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3150980)   #26
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I like the idea of having a Faster GT Class and a Slower One.

Same here, i'd love to see an aventador, and a f12 Berlinetta runing in a GT3+ category.

I think what the fia/aco is planning is to upgrade their GTE machinery, if they are planning a forced GT3 machinery homologation retirement, then maybe its time to Ratel to set his own ruleset out of the fia rules for Machinery and plan his own direction with no FIA involvement anywhere, with the same phylosophy than the current GT3 ruleset.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3150982)   #27
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm interested in how this new class plays out in the technology front. Many of today's sports cars are coming out with hybrids or alternative power trains and this trend will only continue. How do these higher tech cars fit into a formula that is supposed to be cheaper? I like the idea of cost savings but I don't want to see the cars dumbed down.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 17:54 (Ref:3150989)   #28
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I agree with this too. I like the idea of a jaw dropping monster gt class, and a smaller class. Along the lines of GT1/GT2 or the old IMSA GTO/GTU spread, or the capacity groupings from the old, old gt days.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 17:55 (Ref:3150990)   #29
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is good news for GT racing, as it will be made more efficient through the future single GT class. I can only see few problems with its implementation. After all, for endurance racing you can do WEC, while the national GT series can continue to do sprint races. It should be really great for a GT team to do the LeMans 24h, Spa 24h, a couple of WEC rounds, as well as a national series like the ADAC GT Masters with the same car.
But I wonder where SRO will be left in this. The Blancpain Endurance Series might become redundant, if WEC and eventually ELMS run to the same regulations.
Speaking of the Spa 24h, could it become an ELMS round in the future, once Blancpain vanishes? Probably not, as the ACO runs after "Thou shall not have another 24h race besides Le Mans", but the Spa 24h has to go somewhere, if Blancpain really was to become obsolete in the future.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 17:57 (Ref:3150992)   #30
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
FIA GT worked pretty well, even while the same cars were allowed to run at LM, so I don't really see BES becoming obsolete any time soon.