Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Mar 2009, 18:59 (Ref:2406816)   #1
Reid Railton
Rookie

Reid Railton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Searching for competition history of 1960 Omega-Jaguar

I’m trying to find out about the competition history of the 1960 Omega-Jaguar for the period 1960-67. (I have owned it since 1967.)

It was built by John Wilks (who was a renowned special builder in the 750 Club), originally with an MG ZB engine, with which John Wilks competed in 1960. He then changed the engine and gearbox to a Jaguar 3.4 engine and box and competed with it up to mid/late 1963.

John Wilks doesn’t any records of his competition in the Omega but says that he competed in about 25 events in all forms of competition as a formula libre entry: circuit races or sprints at Brands, Snetterton, Debden, Wisley, Silverstone; hill climbs at Firle, Brighton, Blandford, Tewin Water, and Prescott.

In late 1963 he sold it to John Miles who raced it once (winning) at Debden in Sep 1963.

It then moved to Scotland where so far I have found out that Iain Birrell competed in it twice - in a sprint at Crimond and at the Rest-and-be-Thankful

I know that it competed in the following events, but I’ve not found any reports etc
Driven by John Wilks
25 Sep 60 Hill climb at Stapleford, Essex; car no. 106
30 Jul 61; Sevenoaks and District Motor Club; sprint at Brands Hatch; car no. 87
3 Sep 1961; Bentley Drivers Club; hill climb at Firle
11 Mar 1962; MG Car Club; sprint at Brands Hatch
8 Jun 1963; 8 Clubs; race at Silverstone

Driven by Iain Birrell
1964? Hill climb at Rest-and-be-Thankful

Great if anybody can help fill in info on these events, or any others, or let me know any memories of the Omega
Old 2 Mar 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2407335)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Welcome Reid!

Hope that you receive some help shortly.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2409151)   #3
Reid Railton
Rookie

Pic added

You can see pic at www.limacon.org.uk/Omega-Jaguar/
Old 7 Mar 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2410842)   #4
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firle 26 May 63 # 102 (time on first run 29.95")
Old 7 Mar 2009, 13:37 (Ref:2410995)   #5
Reid Railton
Rookie

Firle 26 May 63 # 102

Thanks a lot RAP for the info, and it's given me a filip too.

Do you know if that event was a national event or not (see also below)? I'm applying for a Historic Technical Passport (HTP) for the car and I'm told that I need it to have competed in at least one national event.

ACtually I had found that it competed in this event (but I didn't know its number or anything about the time in each or any run) - I found a report and results of the event in Autosport 31 May 1963 - the Omega came third in class ( Sports-Racing cars over 2000 cc) to a Lister-Jag and a 'D' type - but no mention in the report as to whether it was a National event or not. Certainly some well known climbers were there (eg Patsy Burt).

Reid

Last edited by Reid Railton; 7 Mar 2009 at 14:05. Reason: Minor change to wording
Old 10 Mar 2009, 11:50 (Ref:2412895)   #6
Reid Railton
Rookie

Competition history discovered so far

In my first post I listed events where I'd received info that the Omega had competed in them, but that I'd not found any further info about how it got on etc.

It's for these events, and of course for any others that I don't know about, that I'm searching for info

But, in case it helps jog memories, etc, I've included here details the competition history that I have found so far (see attached document).

This also includes one report of it at a 750 MC practice day at Brands.

(I have copies of all these reports.)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Comp history discovered so far.doc (45.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 15 Mar 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2415859)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's bump this up again. It's all so long ago of course, but let's hope for more info. I do see this thread as finishing up in the Chassis Archive, because 'one-offs' add interest.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 15:57 (Ref:2416026)   #8
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reid
Both the MGCC and BARC Firle hillclimbs were CLOSED ie club meetings.
I have the progs for the 2 Snetterton races. These are not very specific -
6 Aug 61 "The Snetterton 750 Meeting Organised by the 750MC".
15 April 63 "RECC/Cambridge CC/ECMC Race Meeting"
Neither specifies the status but I'd be 99.99% sure these were "club" not national,.

I would be amazed if the Brands sprints and the Debden races were National. Can't speak for the Scottish events.

RAP
Old 17 Mar 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2417464)   #9
Reid Railton
Rookie

Thanks RAP, it all helps even if they are not the national events I'm specially looking for
Reid
Old 18 Mar 2009, 14:11 (Ref:2418282)   #10
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I see it this situation illustrates the fallibilty of the HTP system. Here we have a car with period racing history potentially being denied the chance to compete in historic racing, yet any old production sports or saloon car of a type raced nationally or internationally can be given an HTP irrespective of its individual history.
Clearly there is a way through as the Walker-Climax and the F1 Kieft to use as examples are allowed to compete at the top historic events.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2418292)   #11
Reid Railton
Rookie

James - by chance I just looked at the thread immediately after your post. Until recently I've been very out-of-touch with historic racing and the HTP issues and your comments (and examples) that there is a way through are v helpful. Thanks
Reid
Old 19 Mar 2009, 16:04 (Ref:2419412)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
James, absolutely right; the system seems to militate against a car with a genuine racing history, even if it was not international, but allows any period car if an example of that model acquired an international history. That HAS to be wrong!
Old 26 Mar 2009, 14:16 (Ref:2425289)   #13
Reid Railton
Rookie

Some up-to-date pictures of the Omega-Jaguar

Thought that people might like to see some up-to-date pictures.

Just collected it from Corby, where back-axle and gearbox have been replaced after overhaul, and driven about 85 miles home. All went well. Got into a bit of a groove after about mid-way.
Reid
Attached Thumbnails
omega front.jpg   omega left.jpg   omega right.jpg  

omega rear.jpg   omega engine.jpg   omega dash.jpg  

Old 26 Mar 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2425362)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Excellent, thanks, Reid.