Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 22 Mar 2019, 16:27 (Ref:3892764)   #451
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
"The cars will be based on a carbon fibre monocoque chassis supplied by Oreca and will use batteries from Williams Advanced Engineering. Each car will be powered by two 250kW motors which manufacturers will develop. Manufacturers will homologate their own bodies for the cars which are designed to accept scaled versions of B or C segment production vehicles."

https://www.fia.com/news/world-rx-el...roduction-2021

Way to far off a normal road car. Even the WRC's of yesteryear still had components a road going had. Why all these carbon nonsense and scaled bodies?! On the other hand: even today they want the most sophisticated tech but still a car have to way much more than ever and you can't even run a Golf R of i30 N engine as a basis for godsake.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 22:31 (Ref:3892836)   #452
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Audi leave because the persisted on going electric for Rallycross, so why didn't they moan to develop a 2 litre engine for DTM?

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/aud...oduces-610bhp/

Ps. Are these DTM engines free in design or based around the AE888 engine? I wonder if it is that far off to the EKS Rallycross Audi S1 (which has a 45 mm restrictor).
Old 23 Mar 2019, 00:03 (Ref:3892850)   #453
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They are designed around the same specs as Sper GT, which for some bizarre reason DTM linked with years ago but seem to have very little else to share
Old 23 Mar 2019, 00:48 (Ref:3892856)   #454
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They chose DTM over WRX for combustion engines and Formula E over WRX for electric compulsion.
Old 23 Mar 2019, 09:52 (Ref:3892913)   #455
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhuette View Post
There might not be many genuine driver engineers in the sport today, but the rules would not give such a person enough room to create anything radical anyway.
Oh yes, it's not about reading the rulebook, it's about reading between the lines!
Old 30 Mar 2019, 09:59 (Ref:3894234)   #456
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I read that the deadline for making sure electric is a thing for 2021 has passed with no-one taking the initiative.

Please I hope this means IMG drop the obsession with maunfacturers and just concentrate on the show, the drivers, making the cars ad tracks better.
Old 30 Mar 2019, 11:14 (Ref:3894249)   #457
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.motorsport.com/world-rx/...ailed/4361177/

Vote number 2. Looking for eWRX debut in 2021
Required votes: 3 manufacturers and a supplier
Votes received: 0
Prospects for manufacturer involvement: Low to nil
What now: Focus on the privateers and lower costs?????

Why does IMG need manufacturers to sign up? If I was them I'd say, this is what we're doing for X season. Come play if you want in. Or you can run electric and petrol in 2021 with 2022 the all electric year. It's worked for Trophee Andros.
Old 31 Mar 2019, 12:52 (Ref:3894423)   #458
MANU MATADOR
Rookie

Portugal
porto
MANU MATADOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClarrpz View Post
https://www.motorsport.com/world-rx/...ailed/4361177/

Vote number 2. Looking for eWRX debut in 2021
Required votes: 3 manufacturers and a supplier
Votes received: 0
Prospects for manufacturer involvement: Low to nil
What now: Focus on the privateers and lower costs?????

Why does IMG need manufacturers to sign up? If I was them I'd say, this is what we're doing for X season. Come play if you want in. Or you can run electric and petrol in 2021 with 2022 the all electric year. It's worked for Trophee Andros.
It's the best option mix bought types of cars. The problem in WRX is IMG looking always for manufacturers money instead of pilots and spectators will. That is killing RX essence.
Old 1 Apr 2019, 09:32 (Ref:3894630)   #459
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jani Paasonen and Kalliokowski (probably spelt both of those wrong) confirmed as being part time in the spare Stard car, along with Pal Try.

If Jani is anything like when he was in the WRC then I suspect there will be some damaged panels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 Apr 2019, 14:03 (Ref:3894870)   #460
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Seems IMG have announced a separate electric series to run alongside WRX for 2021.

Why on earth they did not do this in the first place I don't know, but I guess they thought they had the manufacturers onside when really they did not.

Seems a better way to go, probably very low numbers initially.

Also, saw some testing footage of Spa recently, track work is full on, could not make much out.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3894894)   #461
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Seems IMG have announced a separate electric series to run alongside WRX for 2021.

Why on earth they did not do this in the first place I don't know, but I guess they thought they had the manufacturers onside when really they did not.
Yes. This was the obvious step the second the 2020 plan was abandoned. They might try and run in 2020 but there are basically no details. Also there is going to be an electric rallycross series in Italy this year. It is a new branch to the Smart fourtwo e-cup that ran last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Also, saw some testing footage of Spa recently, track work is full on, could not make much out.
It is looking good for the banking. Didn't realise that they've demolished the grand stands between turn 1 and 2 to make way for this.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3894926)   #462
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think it gave them an excuse to do that perhaps, they were very old.
Old 5 Apr 2019, 10:00 (Ref:3895448)   #463
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Abu Dhabi is go.

Anyone there? (generally - not just from the forum ). The photos I've seen of it so far it appears to be deserted.

As an aside I noticed they were describing part of the circuit as "being like Lydden" (Hairy Hill up to North Bend Hairpin specifically). With the Spa circuit also "being like Lydden" you have to wonder why they don't just go to Lydden
Old 5 Apr 2019, 10:09 (Ref:3895450)   #464
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spa I think is worth comparing to Lydden in terms of altitude, Abu Dhabi is slightly uphill but doesn't seem steep enough.

Not a huge surprise no one's there. Until about 3 weeks ago the entry list was really poor, so who's going to commit to travelling from overseas? Plus it's a Friday.
Old 5 Apr 2019, 10:14 (Ref:3895452)   #465
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
As an aside I noticed they were describing part of the circuit as "being like Lydden" (Hairy Hill up to North Bend Hairpin specifically). With the Spa circuit also "being like Lydden" you have to wonder why they don't just go to Lydden
I can see the Lydden comparison with Spa as there looks to be quite an elevation change across the circuit: I am struggling to see the same similarities with Abu Dhabi though!

Live practise timing here.

Qualifying looks to be live via Facebook and You Tube: Q1 coincides nicely with my lunch break!
Old 5 Apr 2019, 10:54 (Ref:3895457)   #466
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yeah Q1 at 12:50 UK time, I guess that's time the stream starts and R1 will be 13:00?

They did the usual bit from warm up. Loads of dust and the joker chicane looks tricky/understeery. When they cross the line at the end of the race cars will go straight on rather than try to make T1, could make for some interesting merges at the end of the race.

Lots of drivers practicing on wet tyres to try and conserve new rubber so times might not be properly representative. Bakkerud wasn't even sure if he was going to bring out the slicks.
Old 5 Apr 2019, 12:13 (Ref:3895472)   #467
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
"40 pErCeNt GrAvEl"
Old 5 Apr 2019, 12:57 (Ref:3895476)   #468
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
First blood to Hansen MJP and some big gaps. Overtakes after the first corner? I can't remember any other than where drivers had a problem. Don't seem to be enough different lines, everything is easily defended, and the tight chicane mid-lap just suffocates everything.

Not sure I believe Timmy when he says that it's one of the best tracks they've been to.

First time we'll see the fast guys go first for Q2, guess how much difference that makes depends heavily on how they water the gravel bits...wherever they are.
Old 5 Apr 2019, 13:42 (Ref:3895490)   #469
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Despite my reservations I tried to watch Q1 with an open mind. The circuit seems very bland so far, hopefully there will be some closer races in Q2 to make things more interesting.
Old 5 Apr 2019, 14:39 (Ref:3895495)   #470
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Despite my reservations I tried to watch Q1 with an open mind. The circuit seems very bland so far, hopefully there will be some closer races in Q2 to make things more interesting.
I think there’s some potential, first corner reminds me of Riga, which is good for some action, and the merge has the speed differential which can be good. The problem for me is that the middle of the lap (from hairpin to hairpin) has little in the way of opportunity.
Old 5 Apr 2019, 15:37 (Ref:3895518)   #471
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Some more interest in Q2, along with some confusion. Great pace from Nitiss, that i20 is looking fast. Bakkerud also on a better pace than Q1, arguably held up by Timmy. Not sure what's wrong with Doran, I assume the car has issues...much like the Clio, which is being a bit temperamental.
Old 5 Apr 2019, 15:54 (Ref:3895520)   #472
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
What a circus of a round.

The jump and landing is completely crap, literally brakes cars.

Perhaps too early to judge but it seems more open. One more team is in the mix now at least and Scheider showed some good speed in the first heat.

I feel bad for De Ridder and Raymond. In practice they were 16th and 13th respectively and from the little action they had in the heats the cars looked awful.
Old 5 Apr 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3895552)   #473
sethmate
Rookie

United Kingdom
sethmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched a bit of the practice heats and was wondering where the loose surface sections were!! There was a bit of dust in places, but it couldn't have been loose because they were leaving black tyres marks!!

I know I shouldn't be surprised / disappointed having watched the highlights on TV last season, but still....
Old 5 Apr 2019, 19:00 (Ref:3895556)   #474
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Seems to be the new way they lay the gravel for a lot of these tracks. Silverstone, COTA, Riga, all very hard surface. Although Riga at least doesn't seem to get rubbered in the way the others do.
Old 5 Apr 2019, 22:05 (Ref:3895580)   #475
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I guess if you own one of these venues,m you don't want muck and loose spread everywhere, I would imagine IMG have done a lot of work finding loose surface that does not do this so they can sell this to tracks.

it was always a problem at tracks using race circuits dragging rubbish everywhere, hence why rallyx is really a winter sport in its prime.

This is an easy way out, you dont have to do much work, merely cut out a layout, IMG do the rest. Then up to you if you want to get rid of it.

Most tracks dont, Franciasorta has left theirs in, not sure about Turkey and Hockenheim.