Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 17 May 2014, 09:39 (Ref:3407192)   #251
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is confirmed (see link above).
Old 17 May 2014, 10:01 (Ref:3407203)   #252
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by valedave View Post
It is confirmed (see link above).
To be honest I don't actually know what that's confirming. Whether it's the entire grass verge or just part of it. The amount spent on it makes me think it's a large amount.

Also I don't think you can necessarily pin it on the FIA. If you look at the punctuation, they've clearly requested the Tertre Rouge changes. Not sure about the grass removal? But surely the ACO must realise the impact that would have on their circuit?

Hoping it's not as bad as it sounds. But I do genuinely shudder when you consider when the track might look like in 10 years.
Old 17 May 2014, 10:27 (Ref:3407213)   #253
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Weird that it's in the same sentence. I have a feeling the ACO might be trying to "bury" that news in amongst the Tertre Rouge changes.

Good point though, it may not be all of the grass verge from Mulsanne back through Indy to Porsche Curves.
Old 17 May 2014, 10:45 (Ref:3407216)   #254
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The implementation of a gravel trap at the "Virage Corvette", requested by the FIA, is estimated to cost 620,000 € and the reinforcement of the RD 140 and 139 asphalt shoulders between Mulsanne, Arnage and the "Virage Porsche" 450,000 €.

In 10-15 years time everything next to the Circuit de la Sarthe racing line will be asphalt too, every single bit of it. By the way FIA is handling things around the world in their lust-for-all-things-"safety" I honestly cannot see it other way. It will all be ruined and sterilized. Already the steps made in the last 10 years have been so drastic that there is enough prove of that.

Then you happen to see places like Road Atlanta or Laguna Seca by chance and be mystified how pure they look and feel. We have invented a time machine!

Last edited by Deleted; 17 May 2014 at 10:51.
Old 17 May 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3407242)   #255
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Eurgh. This is going to look vile.
Old 17 May 2014, 16:48 (Ref:3407280)   #256
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope we have got the wrong end of the stick here. That view back from Porsche Curves to Arnage is one of my favourite bits of race track anywhere. It would look awful covered in tarmac.
Old 17 May 2014, 19:13 (Ref:3407303)   #257
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having tarmac next to racing line on straights has always annoyed me (even more than having it on corners which is stupid too). What exactly is being achieved here?

This is not really pointed at Sarthe but in general -> You know sometimes I just watch at regular roads + obstacles you might encounter on them and laugh at the current nanny state of FIA mandated super safe circuits. It just all seems just silly when you think how normal people with whatever licenses and vehichles drive through these, and then you look back at the asphaltdrome racing circuits we have today

'

Thank god we still have Nordschleife.

Last edited by Deleted; 17 May 2014 at 19:31.
Old 17 May 2014, 19:39 (Ref:3407311)   #258
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Might be one for our resident forum locals to investigate.

Strikes me that if they were going to tarmac all those stretches they would need to be under way with it by now?
Old 18 May 2014, 08:20 (Ref:3407420)   #259
Deleted
Veteran

Well it says "From May 12th to 14th, the Colas company will proceed with pavement enlargements. From May 19th to 20th, the tar will be poured and traffic closures and detours will be put in place." But is that bit about the extension in question...

There's also line "we took care of other projects like safety at the chicanes". I doubt it means Mulsanne chicanes since they've already paved those surroundings all the way through... unless walls are put further back

Anyway all of this continuing work has every sign of attempting to transform Sarthe into Grade 1 track without actually any intention of doing so...
Old 18 May 2014, 09:17 (Ref:3407438)   #260
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Well it says "From May 12th to 14th, the Colas company will proceed with pavement enlargements. From May 19th to 20th, the tar will be poured and traffic closures and detours will be put in place." But is that bit about the extension in question...

There's also line "we took care of other projects like safety at the chicanes". I doubt it means Mulsanne chicanes since they've already paved those surroundings all the way through... unless walls are put further back

Anyway all of this continuing work has every sign of attempting to transform Sarthe into Grade 1 track without actually any intention of doing so...
I cant see them tarmac-ing the extent of area being discussed within that time frame?

Maybe it is tarmacing the existing gravel traps between those corners mentioned?
Old 18 May 2014, 09:29 (Ref:3407441)   #261
Deleted
Veteran

IF they replaced Indianapolis gravel trap with tarmac it would be one of the most ridiculous things ever. How would that even help in sloving down in such high speed corner... usually cars end up there sideways anyway. And barrier is so close.

With Arnage, I don't think they would bother seeing as they decided to use mostly gravel for last year's new widening extension

Last edited by Deleted; 18 May 2014 at 09:36.
Old 18 May 2014, 19:37 (Ref:3407576)   #262
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Today I made a lap on the public part of the track. No works preparing elsewhere than at the Tertre Rouge Curve. Lot of tires to protect the crashes at the Porsche Curve :
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6...ge+Porsche+-+1
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-f...ge+Porsche+-+2
Old 18 May 2014, 19:53 (Ref:3407583)   #263
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
Today I made a lap on the public part of the track. No works preparing elsewhere than at the Tertre Rouge Curve. Lot of tires to protect the crashes at the Porsche Curve :
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6...ge+Porsche+-+1
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-f...ge+Porsche+-+2
Thank you Eric!
Good to see that there hasn't been made any of the massive, feared, changes to the entry of Porsche Curves.
Old 18 May 2014, 19:58 (Ref:3407587)   #264
Deleted
Veteran

Well not... yet. Could some of these annoying asphalt extensions be made later in the year post-LM? That press release didn't really give that much details of the timeframes, apart from those quoted lines.

Oh and as ever thank ya for the updates.
Old 18 May 2014, 20:06 (Ref:3407590)   #265
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well not... yet. Could some of these annoying asphalt extensions be made later in the year post-LM? That press release didn't really give that much details of the timeframes, apart from those quoted lines.

Oh and as ever thank ya for the updates.
The extended run-off areas was presented to be part of this years Le Mans, together with the work at Tertre Rouge.
Of course, it is possible that it has been put off to the future, but the more years without, the better!
Old 18 May 2014, 20:16 (Ref:3407594)   #266
Deleted
Veteran

Well the bit where it mentions "reinforcement of the RD 140 and 139 asphalt shoulders between Mulsanne, Arnage and the "Virage Porsche" 450,000 €" doesn't make a mention of when the work is expected to be completed. As they talk of 2014 Syndicat Mixte investments I'm sure the tarmac-addons will be -unfortunately- carried out this year, but maybe it's for later in the year.

IMO if I had the choice, I'd rather see these changes right now than delay the inevitable for next year and be frustrated by it then. Better to get it out of the way than look at the unspoiled grass/gravel this year and know it'll be ruined in 12 months time.

Going back to the chicanes - I re-read the article and the to-be-modified-for-safety chicanes in question actually really are the Mulsanne chicanes. In a way I'm pleased by that as they're already filled with unneccessary amount of tarmac runoff -> it cannot really be ruined any further. My guess would be moving back the walls of the first chicane to prevent the likes of Audi 2012 collisions...
Old 18 May 2014, 21:34 (Ref:3407607)   #267
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well the bit where it mentions "reinforcement of the RD 140 and 139 asphalt shoulders between Mulsanne, Arnage and the "Virage Porsche" 450,000 €" doesn't make a mention of when the work is expected to be completed. As they talk of 2014 Syndicat Mixte investments I'm sure the tarmac-addons will be -unfortunately- carried out this year, but maybe it's for later in the year.

IMO if I had the choice, I'd rather see these changes right now than delay the inevitable for next year and be frustrated by it then. Better to get it out of the way than look at the unspoiled grass/gravel this year and know it'll be ruined in 12 months time.

Going back to the chicanes - I re-read the article and the to-be-modified-for-safety chicanes in question actually really are the Mulsanne chicanes. In a way I'm pleased by that as they're already filled with unneccessary amount of tarmac runoff -> it cannot really be ruined any further. My guess would be moving back the walls of the first chicane to prevent the likes of Audi 2012 collisions...
I'll try to get some informations about these works but even if I live here, if you don't know the anyone working at the ACO or around, it's difficult to get them. To be continued.
Old 18 May 2014, 21:43 (Ref:3407613)   #268
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Thank you for your efforts Eric, even if they don't bear fruits.
Old 18 May 2014, 22:48 (Ref:3407631)   #269
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think the plan was to add some more tyres at the chicanes but I can't remember exactly. I think they wanted to add a pile along the barriers on entry/exit to cover off a lot of these 'snap' accidents we see under braking/acceleration.

That's my preference to making big changes but I just hope we don't keep finding tyres in the middle of the track during race week.
Old 19 May 2014, 05:59 (Ref:3407715)   #270
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I just hope we don't keep finding tyres in the middle of the track during race week.
Not a fan of the Slovakiaring style?
Old 19 May 2014, 07:37 (Ref:3407739)   #271
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Eric, thanks for all your info, it is always handly to have a man on the ground to see what is actually happening, See you in 3 weeks
Old 19 May 2014, 09:46 (Ref:3407778)   #272
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not a fan of the Slovakiaring style?
Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyXEp2M8exQ

Could perhaps the tarmac just involve putting down asphalt at the points where it turns, where the curbs are, which is where Rocky went off and lost it on the grass in 11.

Last edited by wewantourdarbyback; 19 May 2014 at 09:48. Reason: Forgot to make my actual point.
Old 20 May 2014, 18:03 (Ref:3408327)   #273
Deleted
Veteran

Nothing really new but nevertheless:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=30697
Quote:
Further plans now include the replacement of the grass between track and armco between Mulsanne Corner and the Porsche curves – That in itself will lead to a major visual change for the circuit! It’s not currently clear when that further change will be introduced.
Waybe it's just wording (or their view of the ACO press release) but that makes it sound as if ALL of the grass is to go up there..

This is more depressing than the two BoP-GT categories carrying on, because it's permanent.
Old 20 May 2014, 18:41 (Ref:3408344)   #274
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
How few metres of tarmac in that area is supposed to make any difference for a car that is already out of control? And then they keep the 1970s armocs, ironic. I'd much rather keep the grass and build more modern, higher barries/armcos, with actual fences. It's kind of incredible that especially in that part of the track there are still those low armcos, imagine slighty airborne car - hello trees.

Maybe in the kind of case where car goes off and spins because of the grass it might help keep the car under control instead, but that doesn't seem to happen often anyway... especially not on a straight.

Last edited by deggis; 20 May 2014 at 18:49.
Old 20 May 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3408350)   #275
Deleted
Veteran

Spot on... and I can't believe I have to agree with Eurosport's Marc Cole too, but last year he kept mentioning the outdated barriers and how replacing them shold be the number one priority of the ACO in the wake of the accident(s).

Not messing around with couple of meters of grass next to the racing line!!! It makes no sense. Destroys everything visually and nothing is gained. The only thing that does change is cars shortcutting the track to gain better lap time, which is what always happens with tarmac runoffs (or "extension")

I wish Graham or somebody could interview the ACO for reasonings behinds these specific changes...