Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Apr 2001, 06:07 (Ref:77609)   #1
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
their seems to be more talk in the motorsport press about reducing the downforce on the V8`s to create more overtaking.--i`m all for it what do you guys think? Jason Bright had some interesting comments on this subject,quote:`It is getting harder to overtake in a straight line.When you are right behind another car,you lose almost all your air pressure into the intake system through the front.Maybe we should haveair intakes at the base of the windscreen,like they have in NASCAR.`---what do ya think???
Old 5 Apr 2001, 06:46 (Ref:77617)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clip their wings, and give em less effective brakes. V8's are essentially a one make class, there is really no massive differences in the top cars, and most times in qualifying there is a second between the top 10-15. Now this is going off onto a fairly major tangent- but how come HQs, Daewoos, and other old one make series (lasers, suzukis, et al) have great racing? Because they are slow? People love the speed of the V8s, but if they were to lop 3-4 seconds off their lap times somehow, perhaps there would be much better raicng...?
Old 5 Apr 2001, 06:48 (Ref:77618)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh and by the way- welcome aboard hypo
Old 5 Apr 2001, 07:26 (Ref:77627)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The crowd would never notice 3 seconds a lap, nor would TV viewers.

They notice closer racing.
Old 5 Apr 2001, 09:53 (Ref:77650)   #5
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There definatley needs to be more passing in V8s, and removing some downforce is probably a good start.
The other problem is the braking. The cars are over engineered in the braking dept, so everybodt hits the brakes at the same time and thats it. Mark Skaife talked about it on V8 superstars. The felling i got from his comments was that he was all in favour of making the series a little more interesting.
The average person wouldnt have a clue how fast the cars are going, so slowing them by a few secs and getting more passing and a bit more action would be a good thing.
I we have another precession race like PI i think i will fall asleep.

PS welcome to the fun house hypo:d:
Old 5 Apr 2001, 10:06 (Ref:77652)   #6
thompson_fan
Racer

thompson_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree there should be something done about making the racing closer, in terms of overtaking.

Mind u Radisich seems to have no problem passing in a straight line. I saw him at Oran Park last year, when he went from a car length behind to two cars lengths in front of McLean i think it was
Old 5 Apr 2001, 11:12 (Ref:77672)   #7
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most people wpuld agree that knocking off three seconds a lap is nothing for those of us watching the race. But if we really wanted to see overtaking we would watch GTP!

Plus, someone told me more than two makes are in the races, can this be so?
Old 5 Apr 2001, 14:21 (Ref:77735)   #8
tickfordchick
Racer

tickfordchick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really care either way ... as long as they do it to fairly ... meaning do it to both Ford AND Holden ...
Old 5 Apr 2001, 14:54 (Ref:77753)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I would agree they need to do something..but what ??

Im no technical experts so I cant comment on what they should do...It is interesting that Marcos Ambrose claims that he loses no downforce behind a car but yet Jason Bright says that you do ???

2 guys with current openwheeler experience and different opinions.

we must admit though that "Parity" is almost right now all they need to do is create some passing and the series will grow even more than it already is.
Old 6 Apr 2001, 00:03 (Ref:77946)   #10
WheelMan
Rookie

WheelMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could it be that Bright's comments came after being out-driven by the Murph at Phillip Island.
If HRT don't pair up Murph and Skaife in the endurance races then they don't want to win!
Old 6 Apr 2001, 02:41 (Ref:77966)   #11
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
re:marcus I would agree they need to do something but what?? Mark Skaife`s comments on the V8 Superstars show seem to be the best way to go.....reduce the size of the wings gradually but I think Jason Bright`s idea should be the first to be tried----having the ENGINE air intake at the base of the windscreens,so that when you are trying to draft another car you would not lose any engine power p.s.-thankyou crash test for the warm welcome
Old 6 Apr 2001, 12:13 (Ref:78070)   #12
thompson_fan
Racer

thompson_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i still say that ford should have their correct wing kits on the rear of the car. Then see id HRT can keep up.

As for Bright i think he's just whinging cause Lowndes jumped to second on the podium cause he could pass murphy