Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Dec 2008, 18:32 (Ref:2352918)   #1
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SPEED (formally VdeV UK)

PRESS RELEASE - SPEED SERIES CHANGES GEAR FOR 2009

2009 sees the exciting launch of the SPEED sports prototype racing series, long-distance high speed racing events for the UK.

Formerly the VdeV UK series, the Sports Prototype Endurance Event Driving (SPEED) series has evolved for the 2009 season with a new brand and a new set of regulations designed to encourage bigger grids and spectacular racing.

A series for cars conforming to the FIA’s CN regulations, SPEED is for sports prototype cars - a massively popular formula in global motorsport; SPEED category events are being organised in the US and by a number of promoters across Europe. The popular French series for CN cars will also continue in 2009.

For 2009, SPEED has introduced an additional CN2 category for pure CN cars built with a sealed parts package that includes engine, electronics, dampers and brakes. This will limit initial vehicle purchase costs and control operating budgets through the season.

In addition, SPEED organisers will invite other sports racing category cars, such as Sports 2000 and small bike-engined sports cars, who’s owners want to sample endurance racing. It is likely that these invitation cars will only have to fit Avon tyres and satisfy the safety dry-break refuelling system.

With an 8-event calendar including two continental events, SPEED will broadcast on MotorsTV and Sky Sports.

Championship Organiser, Stuart McCrudden: “SPEED is changing gear and accelerating in 2009. We’ll have professionally-run events for our drivers, manufacturers and teams, race fans and marshals. On track we offer drivers a superb amount of seat-time at some great venues. In the pits, refuelling adds to the challenge for teams and engineers. We’re also aiming to run hotlap rides for marshals and spectators at events to give everyone a taste of what it’s like to run in one of these fantastic cars.”

The new SPEED regulations will be issued shortly and a brand new SPEED series website will be online in the coming weeks.

Decal packs and downloadable logos for teams, manufacturers and fans will also be made available.

SPEED will be represented at the Autosport International Racing Car Show at the NEC in January by the TFL-prepared car, which will be on stand number 6950.

MSA license holders can enter a draw to win a free test drive in a SPEED car in 2009 by collecting an entry form from the stand.

I've created this new thread in the Marshals Forum as it was mainly there that the gripes appeared about last years series, the series has now changed name, and hopefully in 2009 will go on to higher and better things.

But don't care.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2352926)   #2
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SPEED Website

This is the new website - just gone live, but still under construction, so book-mark it now, and check back for regular updates.

The 2009 dates are nearly finalised, and could include some interesting circuits.

Marshal involvement at the events is inclusive to the overall plan, as soon as I know more I will post, and this may be sooner than you think

But don't care.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 19:29 (Ref:2352964)   #3
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If SPEED put together a good package for marshals I could be interested.

I have decides that next year I will not marshal for the sake of just being there. Clubs/circuits will have to entice me to go-I spent too many days this year standing there being bored s/less watching strung out races that went on for too long with poor fields.

(I see you've given yourself 5 stars for your thread Pits )

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 11 Dec 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2352972)   #4
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits!
This is the new website - just gone live, but still under construction, so book-mark it now, and check back for regular updates.

The 2009 dates are nearly finalised, and could include some interesting circuits.

Marshal involvement at the events is inclusive to the overall plan, as soon as I know more I will post, and this may be sooner than you think
Can I say three things - ASCAR - SCSA - VSR V8. See a pattern emerging?

Having said that, I'll be optimistic
Old 11 Dec 2008, 23:43 (Ref:2353108)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK, well I know you're keen on it, but press releases ought to be sent to the press release section, the thread's been deliberately separated from the marshals discussion about it because, well, you disagree with what the marshals were saying in that one, which makes this not a marshals discussion. In which case, I'll leave that one in marshals, and send this one where it sits best, which (I think) is Sportscars.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 05:18 (Ref:2353212)   #6
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good work Simon, lets hope it takes off and draws the numbers we think it should!
Old 12 Dec 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2353669)   #7
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Marshals please note.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
OK, well I know you're keen on it, but press releases ought to be sent to the press release section, the thread's been deliberately separated from the marshals discussion about it because, well, you disagree with what the marshals were saying in that one, which makes this not a marshals discussion. In which case, I'll leave that one in marshals, and send this one where it sits best, which (I think) is Sportscars.
Wooley -
1 - Yes i'm keen on it - and wish it well in 2009.
2 - I'd already posted the press release in the original VdeV thread.
3 - I did not disagree with what the marshals were saying - how could I? I am one, so I just gave an opinion from another marshal.
4 - Fine, let it be so - but as already stated, SPEED have the Marshals interests as one of their highest priorities, so.....

... it will be in the best interests for ALL Marshals to please keep an eye on this thread.

(disclaimer - I am in no way involved in the day-to-day running of, nor affiliated to, the Vdev/SPEED series. My only contact has been as a marshal. I am posting on this forum information on the series purely at the request of the organisers.)

But don't care.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 18:18 (Ref:2353720)   #8
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
Good work Simon, lets hope it takes off and draws the numbers we think it should!
Thanks - I spoke to Stuart yesterday and he sounds really optimistic.

But don't care.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2354081)   #9
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looked at the web site video-looks like a field of Radicals. Hope they get a bit of variaty.

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 13 Dec 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2354136)   #10
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Norma , Juno and Ligier .. 3 options to be quite competitive ..
the style of the VdeV series it's very much to my liking .

Ciao Marco
Old 13 Dec 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2354264)   #11
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey Dani! Wanna come over and have a watch? Be good to meet up again after our Embassy visit at Le Mans.
Old 14 Dec 2008, 19:09 (Ref:2354789)   #12
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
Can I say three things - ASCAR - SCSA - VSR V8. See a pattern emerging?

Having said that, I'll be optimistic
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

I feel that this is a branding exercise, rather than a disaster.
ASCAR - couldn't have it because the suits from america said so.
SCSA - belonged to Rockingham, and when they cut it adrift, they kept the name.
V8 Trophy - should have been the "Mac Tools V8 Cup"
VSR V8 - please please please do not get me started on this one.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

Back to SPEED, I reckon that this stands a fair chance of growing to be something that Radical's couldn't. Being multi-manufacturer gives people a choice of mount, and that suits more than it does not.

With the reduction in VAT to 15%, and interest rates at a post war low of 2%, I'm sure (cynical) that grids will be full this coming year. 2010 maybe, 2011 if it survives 2009, definitely.

From a racer's point of view, with budgets now either non-existant, or constrained to the point of shoe-string, it's going to be a tough season ahead.

And Simon, does this mean you're now a SPEED offical?

Rob.
Old 15 Dec 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2355409)   #13
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59
And Simon, does this mean you're now a SPEED offical? Rob.
Err no - Stuart hasn't given me a jacket

But don't care.
Old 21 Dec 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2359224)   #14
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
2009 Race Calendar

2009 Race Calendar now available

plus Entry Forms and Regulations.

But don't care.
Old 25 Dec 2008, 17:02 (Ref:2361038)   #15
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What engine, electronics, dampers and brakes will be used in CN2?
Old 29 Dec 2008, 20:38 (Ref:2362436)   #16
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80
What engine, electronics, dampers and brakes will be used in CN2?
Look in the regs, and if still not sure give SMA a call - 01621 892 814

But don't care.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 21:16 (Ref:2371612)   #17
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
SPEED At Marshals Track Day ...

Bryce Wilson will be taking his Ligier to Snetterton.

lookie here

But don't care.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2386946)   #18
bickers
Rookie

United Kingdom
sheffield
bickers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Things are taking shape now,a team from Belgium(Satelite racing)and a team from France( The IRS team of José Ibanez with 4 cars)have switched from VdeV France to SPEED.
On this side of the pond Xero have brought 2 Ligiers and Jota sport have also brought a Ligier,ADR are running 2 cars,one is cn1 and one in cn2,Ray have also said that they can turn their new sports2000 car into a cn spec car,Gun are making the step up of building a cn car and Lola are said to be thinking of entering the invitation class with their sports2000.
Well done to Barry Gates and Stuart & Oli McCrudden for really stepping up the marketting and getting things rolling with this fantastic series,let's hope it continues and it shows it's true promise!
Old 29 Mar 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2428294)   #19
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Anyone know what size of entry there is for the first round at Donington?
Old 21 Jun 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2487432)   #20
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read on mariantic that british GT Cup will allow LMPs next year. Anyone background informations about that?
Old 22 Jun 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2488442)   #21
bickers
Rookie

United Kingdom
sheffield
bickers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just read this too,no idea as I haven't seen it anywhere else.Might be interesting,vdev originally had gt and prototypes running together.
Old 22 Jun 2009, 17:12 (Ref:2488452)   #22
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Heard about this at Radio Le Mans couple of weeks ago.