Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Oct 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2972614)   #1
juliet
Rookie

England
Daventry
juliet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has marshalling changed anything you do day to day?

Hi all,

Just wondering if since starting marshalling anyone has approached anything in day to day life differently?

Since starting marshalling I keep a hi-vis in my car along with basic first aid kit and equiptment i.e. scissors.

I also think I take less for granted, especially my safety in many situations, I guess marshalling keeps me on my toes...

What about anyone else, is it just me? or has marshalling or things you have seen/experienced while marshalling changed anything you do?
Old 17 Oct 2011, 12:31 (Ref:2972615)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't walk past a fire extinguisher without noting the guage.

And yes, I also keep a high-viz jacket in the car, along with a spare set of overalls.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 12:46 (Ref:2972629)   #3
hellblade
Rookie

England
Gillingham, Medway
hellblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty much the same here, my car is kitted out with basic medical/rescue kit, my overals and hi-vis waterproofs are always resident in my boot, ive even used knowledge gained and practiced in marshalling to help with an accident on the A2 in the middle lane
Old 17 Oct 2011, 13:04 (Ref:2972650)   #4
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a Londoner I (as all Londoners do) look both ways when crossing one way streets but now I find myself looking further into the distance than before and with slightly more caution. Not sure what's going on there.
I assumed we all keep a hi-viz, gloves and a First aid kit in the car (as an Alfa owner I carry a little bottle as a matter of course, always have) but to improve my knowledge as a Marshal I have been on training courses that mean that I am a qualified first aider, a qualified fire Marshal and a member of the AFM, all of which I would not have done if I wasn't a Marshal, so I think that counts?
Old 17 Oct 2011, 13:42 (Ref:2972667)   #5
socko
Rookie

England
socko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find myself checking every fire extinguisher i see,I also go out of my way sometimes to kick stones away whilst crossing the road without thinking,much to my wives amusment.
I also carry a small fire extinguisher in my main car just in case which i never did before
Old 17 Oct 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2972675)   #6
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
i find myself thinking nothing an average 300 mile round trip at the weekends (being £30 lighter in the wallet though is a bit of a different matter!)whereas before i started i wouldnt bother venturing more than 50/70 miles for a day/weekend trip reserved only for the most interested events... now that ive covered around 15000 and a bit miles through marshalling alone ive got that used to trudging along motorways im a bit more of an easy traveller when im not marshalling!
Old 17 Oct 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2972707)   #7
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As above, i've got hi-vis waterproofs, first aid kit and a small bottle in the car.

I'll also +1 the thinking nothing of a 300 mile round trip to somewhere each weekend.

I've been lucky in the fact that my work have paid for me to do first aid and fire marshal training - which usually only supervisors do.

I have in the past been noted for checking bottles as I walk past, or observing faults in traffic etc etc.

Last edited by nate93; 17 Oct 2011 at 15:59.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 18:59 (Ref:2972801)   #8
BIGPAUL
Racer

England
Braintree
BIGPAUL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Including all the already mentioned things, i was first on scene to a car accident very early one morning earlier in the year & the marshal training just kicked in out of instinct
Old 17 Oct 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2972810)   #9
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I check bottles, kick stones off the road & report poor driving standards to anyone who'll listen
Old 17 Oct 2011, 19:45 (Ref:2972837)   #10
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes its changed me.........i go into the office waving a RED Flag!!! is the only way i get their attention!...................................oh i forgot im self employed
Old 17 Oct 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2972932)   #11
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had a total change of career 18 months ago from printing (which I'd done for 23 years) to working for a private ambulance service. I'm now a student Emergency Medical Technician and waiting for a place on an NHS Ambulance service training course to work on the front line ambulances. None of which I would have done if not for marshalling!
Old 17 Oct 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2972964)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fox View Post
as an Alfa owner I carry a little bottle as a matter of course, always have
To be fair, as an Alfa owner you probably should keep blankets and a packed lunch with you at all times along with your mobile phone and RAC card...
Old 18 Oct 2011, 06:58 (Ref:2973112)   #13
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
To be fair, as an Alfa owner you probably should keep blankets and a packed lunch with you at all times along with your mobile phone and RAC card...

I resemble that remark

Anyway, if you've had as many packed lunches as I have you don't need a blanket.

But back to topic: The names of things change, they used to be "fire extinguishers" not bottles and builders used "cement" not dust and didn't post 7 used to be called "bottom bend"?
Old 18 Oct 2011, 07:06 (Ref:2973115)   #14
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Another thing is that you notice noticing Marshals on the TV, for example: Continental Superbikes, you know, those machines where a flame exits the exhaust at chest height when being pushed, The Marshals have lovely hard hats..............and bare arms. I wouldn't have noticed that before, wouldn't have cared.
Also noticed yesterday whilst watching bikes from Portugal that there were Marshals sitting down during the final laps.
Er, I should get out more...
Old 18 Oct 2011, 07:29 (Ref:2973122)   #15
LandieLad
Racer

Japan
Tokyo
LandieLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go shopping on a Friday morning now instead of a Friday evening or a Saturday.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 07:33 (Ref:2973124)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I was first on scene at an accident outside my house some years ago and found myself dialling 999 and saying to the girl "I need a fire engine, two ambulances, two recovery vehicles, both for full lifts"
Old 18 Oct 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2973144)   #17
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I shout, "That ******'s overtaking under yellows!" and dive for the phone before remembering I'm at home watching the telly...
Old 18 Oct 2011, 09:38 (Ref:2973189)   #18
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fox View Post
Another thing is that you notice noticing Marshals on the TV, for example: Continental Superbikes, you know, those machines where a flame exits the exhaust at chest height when being pushed, The Marshals have lovely hard hats..............and bare arms. I wouldn't have noticed that before, wouldn't have cared.
Also noticed yesterday whilst watching bikes from Portugal that there were Marshals sitting down during the final laps.
Er, I should get out more...
that's me, i swear i watch the marshals on tv more than the racing nowadays!
Old 18 Oct 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2973192)   #19
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliet View Post
Since starting marshalling I keep a hi-vis in my car
I also think I take less for granted, especially my safety in many situations, I guess marshalling keeps me on my toes...

Must admit I've always kept 1st aid kit in the car but 've now added the Hi Viz vest.

Also seeing a few serious crashes where the driver has walked away because of a full roll cage has improved my driving a little because I don't have one.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 10:01 (Ref:2973196)   #20
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi vis, bottle and torch in car, kick stones off the road, when buying clothes check the materials to ensure no man made fibers, marshalling has also changed me so much as a person, more of a team player nowadays and value respect and trust a lot more

always check the guage on any bottle I pass
Old 18 Oct 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2973436)   #21
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I also seem to have more orange in my wardrobe.........
Old 19 Oct 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2973724)   #22
Glovesman
Rookie

England
Kent
Glovesman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since marshalling:
I also am no longer able to walk past a stone without kicking it out of the way.
I now have a strange obsesison with collecting caps.
I am self concious that I have a really tanned face, and white arms.
I need to spend a week in detox after breakfast at Brands (but it has to be done).
When I see damage on a car in traffic, I feel the need to tell someone.
& when I see a Caterham 7 on the road with both front wheel arches, and no indicators on, I can't help feeling theres something not quite right.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 08:33 (Ref:2973727)   #23
juliet
Rookie

England
Daventry
juliet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glovesman View Post
Since marshalling:
I also am no longer able to walk past a stone without kicking it out of the way.
I now have a strange obsesison with collecting caps.
I am self concious that I have a really tanned face, and white arms.
I need to spend a week in detox after breakfast at Brands (but it has to be done).
When I see damage on a car in traffic, I feel the need to tell someone.
& when I see a Caterham 7 on the road with both front wheel arches, and no indicators on, I can't help feeling theres something not quite right.

although my breakfasts are from Silverstone i imagine they are just as leathal!
Old 19 Oct 2011, 12:57 (Ref:2973825)   #24
Bakersboy
Racer

England
Stoke on Trent
Bakersboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am so pleased with this thread. I was very worried that it was just me, as I can relate to all of the above. I also have this strange urge to buy pork pies....
Old 19 Oct 2011, 13:03 (Ref:2973830)   #25
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taking every opportunity to visit a loo in case you're too far away when necessary? Or is that old age?