Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 Aug 2021, 11:20 (Ref:4068055)   #1
C6R Racing Fan
Racer

United States
Ohio, USA
C6R Racing Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridC6R Racing Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Factory GT teams starting 2024

I know most will be in the top classes anyway, but this is a DUmB decision.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/future-gt-class-set-to-prohibit-factory-teams/
Old 20 Aug 2021, 11:49 (Ref:4068059)   #2
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find almost laughable how work/official/factory team is just about a semantics matter nowadays.... a private team with a lineup made of work drivers is still a private team? a semi-work? a backed team?
Old 20 Aug 2021, 13:05 (Ref:4068072)   #3
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Many of those teams still need to find the funding to run the car, factory is just providing the drivers. Driver costs are not the big restriction to running the program

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6R Racing Fan View Post
I know most will be in the top classes anyway, but this is a DUmB decision.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...factory-teams/

MP says that has not been announced, "With no clarity on class structure or the spec of the GT3 cars, big points of discussion remain. The main one is the question of whether or not there will be a Pro category for factories to compete in with all-pro driver crews."

This on the other hand is fundamentally stupid

"Manufacturer sources have suggested to RACER that there has been discussion around a potential restriction to teams in the new GT class for makes not already represented in the WEC in the new Hypercar class. This would mean a brand like Aston Martin would be unable to field customer cars or a factory GT entry, without a top class program."

https://racer.com/2021/08/20/gt3-to-...ans-from-2024/

Interesting thought though,

Will this force GM to actually homologate a Corvette GT3 now? They want to continue at LM and wouldn't be surprised if they and VAG were the push to protect their sales of GT3s to run LM, and the WEC

Last edited by broadrun96; 20 Aug 2021 at 13:21. Reason: Add Racer article
Old 20 Aug 2021, 13:37 (Ref:4068076)   #4
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find it confusing myself, but regardless GT racing at Le Mans and WEC won't really be relevant anymore after 2022. Maybe 2023 if Corvette brings the C8 to GTE AM in some way shape or form.

GM looks like will have a Corvette GT3 for 2024. I'd say run the Nurburgring 24H if they want to have a European escapade, the factory Corvette team will be welcome there. Otherwise be an IMSA only team.

Another point is that GT racing just does not need Le Mans in the 2020's. Spa 24H and Nurburgring 24H showcase them as the overall winners now and the profile of those events are very high now. Plus IMSA still treats GT racing respectfully enough that there is prestige to win the Daytona 24H and Sebring 12H classes. Although I stand by my thinking that John Doonan of IMSA is not as GT friendly as Scott Atherton was.

Last edited by WyldStallion; 20 Aug 2021 at 13:45.
Old 20 Aug 2021, 13:44 (Ref:4068077)   #5
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The ACO clarified both GTE classes will run through 2023 this morning, so it's GTE-Pro and Am until the GT3 cars debut 2024 according to Daniel Lloyd on S365
Old 20 Aug 2021, 13:51 (Ref:4068079)   #6
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
[speculation] It sounds like Corvette got an extra year of GTE-Pro after a lot of lobbying but with no commitment from GM to run the full championship, the WEC found itself forced to pull the plug on the category.

Hopefully we'll see the Corvette program continue in GT3 in some non full factory shape.
Old 20 Aug 2021, 17:58 (Ref:4068109)   #7
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So GTE Pro in 2023 is Le Mans only, not WEC. Interestnig one that is. I'm cool with it.
Old 20 Aug 2021, 18:11 (Ref:4068113)   #8
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
I find almost laughable how work/official/factory team is just about a semantics matter nowadays.... a private team with a lineup made of work drivers is still a private team? a semi-work? a backed team?
Exactly. Just think how many fingers you’d need to count the number of “privateer teams” that have been run and paid for by manufacturers in recent years!
Old 20 Aug 2021, 18:11 (Ref:4068114)   #9
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
No, it's a WEC class as well. Just likely few takers if any. If no takers at the start of the season they should eliminate it altogether although I'm sure some Am programs will add one Pro and try for the world title there with 2 fast shoes. But it is shared between Pro and Am so maybe not
Old 20 Aug 2021, 18:54 (Ref:4068120)   #10
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Exactly. Just think how many fingers you’d need to count the number of “privateer teams” that have been run and paid for by manufacturers in recent years!

yeah, look at porsche in pro class of spa 24H, were all private teams but their lineup was made by the army of porsche work drivers.
Or at example, let's take corvette racing...
if same team, same personnel, same drivers but fielding the two cars as "pratt&miller racing" it then becomes a private team?
Old 20 Aug 2021, 20:16 (Ref:4068133)   #11
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
yeah, look at porsche in pro class of spa 24H, were all private teams but their lineup was made by the army of porsche work drivers.
Or at example, let's take corvette racing...
if same team, same personnel, same drivers but fielding the two cars as "pratt&miller racing" it then becomes a private team?
If you scratch 'same personnel' and if the car is entered by 'Action Express' or 'JDC Miller' or 'Chip Ganassi' then IMO: yes, even if you put 3 factory drivers in the car.

-

The fact that a privateer Porsche with no (Porsche) factory driver in its lineup got pole at Le Mans just confirms this could actually work.

Dries Vanthoor - Maxime Martin - Alvaro Parente

That's an Audi factory driver, an Aston Martin (is he, still?) and ex-BMW factory driver, and an ex-McLaren and ex-Bentley factory driver (currently doing Lamborghini's?)

That's a strong lineup but surely not a factory or even semi-factory car.
Old 21 Aug 2021, 00:11 (Ref:4068157)   #12
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
It's strange that after all so many celebrities raced at Le Mans manufacturers don't see the disappearance of the GTE-Pro as an opportunity.
Well, maybe Porsche does, since they're already nurturing Michael Fassbender.

Bring the full works team, get a famous actor, artist or athlete, maybe even a racer from a different discipline, e.g. Valentino Rossi, to be your bronze driver. Boom! Now you're getting tons of extra publicity.
Old 21 Aug 2021, 00:38 (Ref:4068162)   #13
WyldStallion
Veteran

So with the GT announcements made now. I can see the GTE Pro grid in 2022 being similar to this year. 2023 might be Corvette vs privateer teams with all pro drivers. Sort of like HubAuto Porsche, an effort like theirs might be the ticket in 2023. Although I can't see HubAuto or Weeathertech beating the Corvettes this year and in the next 2 years.
Old 21 Aug 2021, 01:43 (Ref:4068172)   #14
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Didn't Weathertech beat both of the Corvettes fair and square just a couple of weeks ago?
Old 21 Aug 2021, 03:02 (Ref:4068176)   #15
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Didn't Weathertech beat both of the Corvettes fair and square just a couple of weeks ago?
Yes using a strategy where Cooper only drove for about 20 minutes or so. A strategy that in GTD Pro won't work because of IMSA's 50 minute drive mininum given a 2 hour 40 minute race.

I am cheering for Corvette and Weathertech at the Le Mans race though. Cooper needs to drive 6 hours for this one and Le Mans does not have the safety car bunch them up system IMSA has. That is also how Weathertech benefited from Sebring was those early saftey car periods when Cooper was driving.

With that said. Cooper MacNeil seems like a great guy and a very good sportsman level sportscar driver now. I think its great that he is entered in GTE Pro. I would predict thoguh that for the Le Mans 24H, that Corvette won't finish behind HubAuto and Weathertech.
Old 21 Aug 2021, 03:10 (Ref:4068181)   #16
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Unlike with Weathertech, HubAuto's "weakest link" driver was actually the one who put the works teams to shame in hyperpole. If they just keep going round and round, a win is not beyond the realms of possibility.
Old 21 Aug 2021, 04:04 (Ref:4068190)   #17
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder why they don't make a new Corvette DP-LMH with carbon fiber tub?
They could race against all the factory teams and they could go for the overall victory, something like corvette never did.
For me a Corvette LMH would be much better than a Cadillac LMDh.
If Peugeot can race a car without a rear wing, I guess a new Corvette DP could be very competitive.
Old 21 Aug 2021, 07:55 (Ref:4068203)   #18
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:

yes but only by strategy saving fuel at each straight like there was no tomorrow.
Anyway as said, to me the rule to not allow work teams is really silly because easily bypassable in so many ways, but the positive side of this is that because of this rule and relatively cheap costs (compared to LMH) GM and some other gt3 manufacturers could be spurred on focusing on lmdh (hopefully)
Old 21 Aug 2021, 13:14 (Ref:4068294)   #19
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
I wonder why they don't make a new Corvette DP-LMH with carbon fiber tub?
They could race against all the factory teams and they could go for the overall victory, something like corvette never did.
For me a Corvette LMH would be much better than a Cadillac LMDh.
If Peugeot can race a car without a rear wing, I guess a new Corvette DP could be very competitive.
That what I thought they'd do. There are very few places outside America where you can even buy a Cadillac, grey import aside.

But it looks like for GM IMSA comes first (also 2nd, 3rd etc.). And they want to promote Cadillac as a high-tech and sporty (for whatever reason) luxury brand in America. So it's a matter brining to Le Mans what they'll have, instead of tailoring their whole programme(s) for WEC.
Old 21 Aug 2021, 21:53 (Ref:4068985)   #20
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
That what I thought they'd do. There are very few places outside America where you can even buy a Cadillac, grey import aside.

But it looks like for GM IMSA comes first (also 2nd, 3rd etc.). And they want to promote Cadillac as a high-tech and sporty (for whatever reason) luxury brand in America. So it's a matter brining to Le Mans what they'll have, instead of tailoring their whole programme(s) for WEC.
Cause they're trying build the brand globally and create more products.

And Caddy was always known as the car for slow old people in Florida. And for a long time they were mobile easy chairs that barely moved and always broke
Old 22 Aug 2021, 00:35 (Ref:4069153)   #21
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post

And Caddy was always known as the car for slow old people in Florida. And for a long time they were mobile easy chairs that barely moved and always broke
https://youtu.be/RFFwYFpHV6U
Old 22 Aug 2021, 04:05 (Ref:4069465)   #22
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post

Could they possibly run the same car as a Caddy stateside and a Vette abroad?
Old 22 Aug 2021, 04:07 (Ref:4069467)   #23
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I would guess no one would even care a bit
Old 22 Aug 2021, 10:01 (Ref:4069606)   #24
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as GM USA/ Corvette only really want to turn up to Le Mans, and not the other WEC races, then I don't care what they do. I understand why, but I really dislike this attitude - and seems slightly insular.
Oh, and they can stop moaning about BOP - do the full WEC, and you may get better treatment, as there is more data to work with.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 21:40 (Ref:4069870)   #25
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Dropping the GT pro class is a terrible idea.