Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Jan 2019, 05:41 (Ref:3875415)   #271
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Terence Bower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to trucks being checked, wonder which port the truck with 43 illegals on board came through. Time to bring back the Xray machines!!
Old 11 Jan 2019, 06:10 (Ref:3875416)   #272
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Terence, I wondered the same thing. (If you’re talking about the truck on the M6 couple of days ago? Our media mentions 27 detained....) No mention of the where the truck came from, but driver arrested was ‘of no fixed abode’, which suggests not British......

But as said earlier, Calais and Dunkirk have very sophisticated equipment to detect stowaways. I’d be surprised if at either of those ports, but I’ve no idea how vigilant the Euro ports serving the UK East coast are....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 11 Jan 2019 at 06:18.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 10:36 (Ref:3875458)   #273
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
According to one paper this morning the Branston experiment cost £50k to stage- £550 paid to each truck operator. Would just about have covered my fuel costs from here....
Old 11 Jan 2019, 11:23 (Ref:3875468)   #274
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I hope no one is preparing something around the different types of driving licences. Like a special exam do drive in UK. Reason could be the different sides-trafic and steering wheel- and so onÖ
What has been posted as to the trailers looks the same as we have, a result of harmonisation around this.

Harmonisation would be soooo much easier if only fully automated travel pods were allowed on the travelways.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 02:21 (Ref:3875641)   #275
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
While following the Dubai 24 hrs livestream I thought I'd do some research on carnets. The following applies, especially Section 5.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-cpd-carnets

Before I ring them blind on Monday, does anyone know somebody at CARS who could give us the low-down, costs, time to issue etc?
Old 12 Jan 2019, 05:46 (Ref:3875645)   #276
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Terence Bower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Terence, I wondered the same thing. (If youíre talking about the truck on the M6 couple of days ago? Our media mentions 27 detained....) No mention of the where the truck came from, but driver arrested was Ďof no fixed abodeí, which suggests not British......

But as said earlier, Calais and Dunkirk have very sophisticated equipment to detect stowaways. Iíd be surprised if at either of those ports, but Iíve no idea how vigilant the Euro ports serving the UK East coast are....

Once out of the EU, I wonder if the Xray machines will be used again.
Think we're in for some interesting issues very soon
Old 12 Jan 2019, 06:12 (Ref:3875648)   #277
Gerard C
Veteran

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Bower View Post
Terence I bet they will be and probably even more than now, your country being more appealing than any other in the area.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 06:28 (Ref:3875651)   #278
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Bower View Post
Think we're in for some interesting issues very soon
Terence, Iím curiously as to where these X-ray machines are located- UK ports or Euro ones?
Old 12 Jan 2019, 06:33 (Ref:3875652)   #279
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
While following the Dubai 24 hrs livestream I thought I'd do some research on carnets. The following applies, especially Section 5.

Before I ring them blind on Monday, does anyone know somebody at CARS who could give us the low-down, costs, time to issue etc?
CARS are usually very helpful, but I don’t know anyone in the office.

Are you thinking of these carnets as a result of us leaving the EU? They’ve been going since the early '60s. And I don’t know any private or commercial race team that uses them currently, although the fact that CARS issue them would suggest otherwise.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 12 Jan 2019 at 07:24. Reason: Was being a bit thick...
Old 12 Jan 2019, 11:58 (Ref:3875693)   #280
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
Of course; the ATA & CPD carnet system has been going since long before the EU, it's the internationally recognised way of moving stuff around for temporary import & export, as the GOV notice explains. CPD is what's used for vehicles, I'm hoping that accompanying tools and spares can be included on the CPD, rather than a further ATA one.
I'm also wondering how CARS managed to get a monopoly on issue - the AA and RAC used to issue them back in the 60s but suspect since those organisations went commercial carnets got put in the 'too difficult' box.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 14:50 (Ref:3875720)   #281
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
All this money being spent on leaving and I'm still convinced the powers that be have no intention of the UK exiting the EU. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I don't think it will happen.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 18:49 (Ref:3875751)   #282
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
All this money being spent on leaving and I'm still convinced the powers that be have no intention of the UK exiting the EU. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I don't think it will happen.
Itís certainly not going to be all done and dusted by the end of March! Iím not getting my knickers in a twist, anyways.....

David, my guess is that the motoring organisations washed their hands of carnet issue as no money on it for them, and as CARS do vehicle movements all over the world, someone convinced someone else that it was a solution......
Old 12 Jan 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3875753)   #283
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Tim, I've said the same thing as well. Since the moment the referendum was called.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Jan 2019, 19:00 (Ref:3875754)   #284
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post

Reading this on a smudged phone screen after a long day at work, I thought it said you were researching CAMELS. :rofl

Old 12 Jan 2019, 21:25 (Ref:3875783)   #285
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire almost in Pakistan
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Reading this on a smudged phone screen after a long day at work, I thought it said you were researching CAMELS. :rofl

So did I but without your good reasons, just old age.