Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 6 Apr 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2859823)   #351
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If drivers can step out of FR 2.0 or F3 and straight into GP2 its fair enough, many have. If they have the balls, backing, and are good enough, then why not? Mirocha's jump isn't anything out of the ordinary. I mean, Kimi Raikkonen stepped out of FR straight into F1 with 24 races to his name, and Button did two years, one in FF and one in F3 and was immediately on the grid with Williams. Those who can't stand the heat...they don't do it. NaBUru38- what you just said is already happening. Vettel and Alguersuari were both karting when they were 15 and were Grand Prix drivers by the age of 19.

Just had a look at the speed traps for the GP2 testing at Silverstone and what the F2 guys were doing there a couple of weeks ago. Sectors 1 and 2 had the GP2 cars going through at 178mph, with the 3rd sector being the finishing line, Herck was fastest through that at 172.1mph. F2's were going through sector 1 at 166.1mph, sector 2 at 160.9mph and the finishing line at 153.6mph. I wasn't looking for any particular reason other than interest, so there you go!
Old 6 Apr 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2859916)   #352
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
examples of drivers who have done the daft and leapt from f3 or fr to f1 aren't really the ones that people should live by. i mean, you do whatever suits you as a driver - both kimi and jenson had a lot of testing miles under their belts, many more than your average drivers has now.

i think you have to look at the demands f1 makes on a driver at any given time as well - when f1 testing wasn't so limited you could bring a driver in from nowhere if he impressed you enough and spend the winter teaching him what he needs to know. now you spend the off season and the best part of their first season teaching them, albeit with the aid of simulators to help their circuit knowledge. a big chequebook helps too.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 22:43 (Ref:2859947)   #353
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Its not daft if it works for them! I wasn't saying drivers should follow in their footsteps, I was saying that a jump up to another formula is entirely possible, because many have. Its the ones who make it work that counts. Will Mirocha? His CV doesn't suggest so, but others have made 'jumps' just like him.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 10:28 (Ref:2860114)   #354
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Christian Vietoris will be running a dual campaign in GP2 and the DTM, interesting, don't think thats ever happened before? There are no round clashes of course so he should be alright, quite a challenge though, good on him!
Old 7 Apr 2011, 12:41 (Ref:2860161)   #355
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
times, photos etc from yesterday: http://tentenths.com/news/showentry.php?e=1844

vietoris is living some sort of young drivers wet dream, surely? a cracking gp2 drive and a dtm drive? on the other hand he's going to really need to pull some good results out of the bag to justify that kind of investment!
Old 7 Apr 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2860274)   #356
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think this is his last campaign in GP2, his future is in DTM.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 22:20 (Ref:2860342)   #357
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
vietoris is living some sort of young drivers wet dream, surely? a cracking gp2 drive and a dtm drive?
Definately!
Old 19 Apr 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2866428)   #358
danoli
Rookie

danoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like Pic was fastest in front of Valsecchi and Gutierrez in the morning session at Barcelona. Good performances from Chilton Palmer and Rigon also, in 7th, 8th and 9th respectively
Old 19 Apr 2011, 21:16 (Ref:2866689)   #359
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What chance Filippi for the Super Nova seat, he might not win the title but he would do a decent job for them.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2866930)   #360
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
What chance Filippi for the Super Nova seat, he might not win the title but he would do a decent job for them.
I'm sure he'd only get it if they're not able to find anyone willing to pay for it. I like the guy and everything but it's really about time to move on.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2867623)   #361
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah it may be time for Filippi to head Stateside, or to GTs.
He's a good driver at this level as he's proved in the past, but he's also proved that he's no more than 'good'.
If he were to appear would this be his 4th year or 5th?
Old 21 Apr 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2867714)   #362
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6th, which is really getting on a bit.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 21:34 (Ref:2870910)   #363
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Team AirAsia will be renamed Caterham, regulations permitting...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90956

Quote:
Fernandes also confirmed his GP2 team, currently named AirAsia, is going to undergo a name change if the regulations allow it.

The GP2 season starts next week in Turkey.

"I can confirm pretty clearly that there will be a Caterham GP2 Team," he said. "I have to check with the regulations, rename the team 'Caterham' and AirAsia will become a sponsor.

"So AirAsia Caterham. You've asked me that, and that is my immediate reaction. But when we do it and how we do it, I don't know yet."
Old 5 May 2011, 15:09 (Ref:2874653)   #364
questions
Rookie

questions should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Marcus Ericsson Fan Club on Facebook:

"Launch of Marcus Ericsson Official Fan page on Facebook.

Little over a year ago racing enthusiast and Marcus Ericsson fan Jörgen “Bowe” Bevonius started writing on Marcus Ericsson ”unofficial” Fan Club page on Facebook, originally started by Alexander Jönsson.

Due to Bowe’s live race reports, live bloggs and interaction with the fans, 1700 fans followed Marcus as of the early part of 2011, one of the largest supports for any of the current GP2 drivers. Fans from 60 countries, speaking 20 different languages making it the most active web forum of any GP2 driver.

”I normally work as a flight controller but I am very interested in racing and have followed Marcus career since Karting. My idea was to build a meeting place on the web for Marcus fans where you can find the most relevant information about him”, says Bowe.

Ready for the 2011 GP2 Championship Marcus now launches his Official Fan page on Facebook. It will offer fans the opportunity to ”like” and ”share” comments, live blogs from races, on and off-track insights, race reports, photos, discussion forums, and, from time to time live interaction with Marcus.

Bowe will continue to be the Facebook fan page administrator and editor.

”I am very exicted about the opportunity to work directly with Marcus and continue what I started. In a way it will be a little easier now as I will get close access to Marcus and the team behind him and I will be able to service the fans with real inside information”, says Bowe.

The Official Facebook fan page will be liked with Marcus Ericsson's own official web site www.marcusericsson.com where fans can continue to find the most relevant information and photos about Marcus.

”I cannot thank long time sponsors Mediapartner and Sidemo Communications enough for their expertise in developing my webplatform, and also Bowe", says Ericsson. "With the addition of the Facebook official fan page and Jörgen's devotion running it, I feel confident my fans will have the absolute best service”, finishes Marcus.”
Old 5 May 2011, 15:30 (Ref:2874670)   #365
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Am I the only one who is extremely disappointed with Autosport's GP2 preview section?
For example, for the last few years they've said a little about each driver, only a few lines, but still it gives a little flesh to the names. But this year, they just give the entry list and nothing else.
Old 5 May 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2874689)   #366
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i've just had a look and i see what you mean. let's hope the race reports aren't reduced to the same size as the fr3.5 ones are. they had a more in-depth preview as well :/

i suppose it doesn't help that they have to divide space between gp3 and gp2. dunno about everyone else but i know which series i'd rather hear from...
Old 6 May 2011, 11:37 (Ref:2875245)   #367
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And yet they waste endless space in their rag with useless giant pie charts and graphics, massive pictures for a tiny story, website top five stories etc etc... More words, less dross, thanks Autosport.
Old 6 May 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2875257)   #368
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i notice there's a top 10 and a feature with sam bird online which is fine for subscribers but it seems rather a shame to leave it out of the paper version.