Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 12 Oct 2007, 15:21 (Ref:2038602)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bank of America 500 at Lowe's Motor Speedway

Rocket Man takes a fifth pole of the season from Jimmie Johnson. Sam Hornish Jr. fails to qualify again surprisingly (sarcasm there).

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63221

Chase contenders
DriverPos.
Jimmie Johnson2nd
Jeff Gordon4th
Matt Kenseth7th
Kurt Busch8th
Denny Hamlin11th
Kyle Busch13th
Carl Edwards18th
Kevin Harvick24th
Clint Bowyer25th
Jeff Burton27th
Tony Stewart29th
Martin Truex Jr.32nd
Old 12 Oct 2007, 16:59 (Ref:2038665)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Any TV coverage this week?
Old 12 Oct 2007, 17:28 (Ref:2038681)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, as it is a "through the night" race for us, it is on live. Coverage starts midnight tomorrow.

Busch race is also live tonight.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 17:48 (Ref:2038693)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cool we can watch both races live as they aren't on sunday night and don't have to worry about the monday morning!
Old 12 Oct 2007, 18:56 (Ref:2038743)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, it'll be as live for me. I just can't sit up through the night every weekend anymore it kills me!
Old 12 Oct 2007, 19:10 (Ref:2038750)   #6
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right now Carl Edwards needs a win and badly if he is going to be a chase champion contender. Unfortunately for us Ford fans it looks like Matt Kenseth is out of the running for the championship.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 19:32 (Ref:2038772)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what is Sam hornish's problem?
The team has powerful cars.. Newman got the pole finally from johnson
Sam is excellent what gives?
Old 12 Oct 2007, 19:35 (Ref:2038778)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

If he doesn't manage to qualify for one by seasons end it really is "farewell to a career in Cup" for Sam I feel. It really isn't good enough.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 23:24 (Ref:2039525)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Well, it'll be as live for me. I just can't sit up through the night every weekend anymore it kills me!
Bah. Miserable old fart.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 01:01 (Ref:2039567)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I've given myself a chronic headache and a few colds from stopping up for GP's the past couple of weeks, I need a good nights sleep!

That said, I am sticking around for the first half at least. Dunno why as I hate this track.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 11:38 (Ref:2039786)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Afraid I gave up and went to bed... should have planned better and avoided drinking whilst I watched the rugby then I may have made it! So, update on the race please?
Old 14 Oct 2007, 11:46 (Ref:2039794)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Just checking out the results -- it does look like it's down to three now four at the outside. I'd really love to Stewart win but it's unlikely. If that doesn't happen then it'd be good to see Bowyer take it... that lad's got potential. If it has to be a Hendrick car then Gordon has really deserved it this year. He's driven magnificantly over the course of the year.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 14:45 (Ref:2039906)   #13
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will rate the Lowe's race a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. Darn good race and exciting finish.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 15:25 (Ref:2039925)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Great stuff wasn't it! Jeff just blew them away again (see, no need for pessimism muggle), although Newman rather blew it.

Clint is hanging in there. What is that? A win, two seconds, an eleventh and a twelfth? Good form in the chase.

But to win it with (at the moment) one win from 12th in the standings would be embarrassing.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 16:01 (Ref:2039943)   #15
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martinsville should be interesting, aren't they all. Jeff and Jimmie race very good there where Bowyer has been not so good. However, Bowyer has come a long way this year. He never ran good previously at CHarlotte either.

Gordon had the Lowes race won "going away" until Johnny Sauter's caution with 10 laps to go. on the re-start Jeff momentarily ran out of fuel and slowed almost causing kyle to run into him. That is when Newman shot past them all and took the lead. How Newman hit the wall is beyond me. On the GWC Jeff was the class of them all. A good race for Jeff. he is now the winningest active driver at Lowes.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 16:55 (Ref:2040003)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I watched the first hour then had to go to bed by 2 as i had work in the morning... was a good race with what I saw. Really enjoying the chase battle between jeff and jimmie.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 17:11 (Ref:2040032)   #17
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a pretty decent race.

Why they took so long to bring out the yellow when Green oiled the whole track I'll never know.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:16 (Ref:2040216)   #18
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Under the old "Classic" system Jeff would have a 500 point lead over Tony who would be 2nd in points, after the Lowes race.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:28 (Ref:2040236)   #19
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
Martinsville should be interesting, aren't they all. Jeff and Jimmie race very good there where Bowyer has been not so good. However, Bowyer has come a long way this year. He never ran good previously at CHarlotte either.

Gordon had the Lowes race won "going away" until Johnny Sauter's caution with 10 laps to go. on the re-start Jeff momentarily ran out of fuel and slowed almost causing kyle to run into him. That is when Newman shot past them all and took the lead. How Newman hit the wall is beyond me. On the GWC Jeff was the class of them all. A good race for Jeff. he is now the winningest active driver at Lowes.
Newman's left rear tire jihad'd.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 21:33 (Ref:2040310)   #20
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, it looks like no one will be able to stop the Drive for Five. Gordon is having a season like his dominating championship runs in 1997 and '98, and as muggle not noted, would be virtually out of reach under the old points system. Even so, I can't see Jeff giving up this commanding position with so few races left in the season.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 04:43 (Ref:2040442)   #21
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What happened to JPM???? I tuned into the race, via radio, about halfway through the race and he was laps down in the high 30's.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 15 Oct 2007, 09:24 (Ref:2040540)   #22
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
JPM picked up some damage early and seemed to have no pace thereafter. It would be a shame if he can't secure the rookie of the year title.

"My guys" Kenseth and Burton are having a terrible chase and pretty much out of it (although Burton at least got up for a respectable result at Lowes) so I'll be cheering for Bowyer to try take it off Gordon.

I'm not really bothered about the "fairness" of it. It's intentionally structured just like any sports series with playoffs. What happens in the regular season doesn't count for much once you've qualified for the "finals". I quite like that aspect. With such a long season it would suck if the championship was already wrapped up with so many races to go.

Maybe to Brit's with the football premiership just being points it seems a bit foreign.

The only off bit is that all the other cars keep racing - which isn't really paralleled in another sport...
Old 15 Oct 2007, 10:54 (Ref:2040599)   #23
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy
What happened to JPM???? I tuned into the race, via radio, about halfway through the race and he was laps down in the high 30's.
He blew a tire VT, right front, you could hear it from the onboard, and it was all wall after that.

Was that a non-CoT race?
Old 15 Oct 2007, 11:42 (Ref:2040627)   #24
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yes it was non cot.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 11:56 (Ref:2040635)   #25
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah it looked like it Luke. Thanks. That looked more NASCAR than Talledega and, by some margin. But I never watch NASCAR so I dunno nothin.