Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newman and Haas at it again?

From champweb.net:

Rumor: Newman and Haas Feuding posted by don on 09-19 14:32

Rumor has it that Paul Newman and Carl Haas are in serious disagreement regarding the future plans of Newman/Haas Racing. The rumor going around is that Carl Haas is being offered big bucks from Toyota to go to the IRL full time in 2004.

Newman/Haas has already purchased an IRL machine, which is aimed for an Indy 500 entry, but with a possible effort funded by Toyota, pressure is being put on Haas.

However, Paul Newman has ZERO interest in going to the IRL, and if Haas would happen to go to the IRL, we are told Newman will start his own team, or buy into an existing team.

If Carl Haas wants to go to the IRL so badly, then I say let that S.O.B. go!!!
Old 20 Sep 2003, 00:56 (Ref:724754)   #2
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Assuming that Haas really does split from Paul Newman and run a full season in the IRL in 2004 I would think that it would be for personal reasons. He can't state that he is following the wishes of the sponsors like Mike did. Lilly, Pacificare, and McDonnalds all chose to sponsor the team since the split in 1996. They could have gone to the IRL but chose this series so I expect them to stay. With Newman-Haas having the season they are, I expect that to be even more true. So I have three thoughts as to why he might want to move over.
1) He doesn't like the dirrection that Champ Cars are moving. There are a lot of changes comming like street races and Motor rock. Maybe he likes the old days and doesn't like the new CART.
2) He doesn't like the new owners. I've never heard of any trouble between Haas and the members of OWRS, but we don't hear everything.
3) He has a desire to run at the Indy 500 and running a full season would make wining Indy easier than doing a one-off run at it.

This is just speculation on my part. I havent heard anything to back up anything I've said here. Just typing as I think.
Old 20 Sep 2003, 01:33 (Ref:724765)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that it says Newman will either start his own team or buy into another one. If he buys into an existing team, that is effectively two cars down the drain.....
Old 20 Sep 2003, 04:02 (Ref:724790)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Haas really only has the desire to race and win Indy. But the amount of cash Toyota would be offering would be the extra sweetner. But for Haas to leave for the money, after everything that's happened, will lump him into the same column as guys like Mikey and Ganassi...

It would be a shame for Newman/Haas to split, but IMO Newman will stay in CART and IMO Mario will join forces with him.
Old 20 Sep 2003, 04:25 (Ref:724799)   #5
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newman Andretti Racing or Andretti Newman Racing. Either way sounds pretty sweet to me.
Old 20 Sep 2003, 04:32 (Ref:724801)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would a race team like NH have any worth for Newman to extract, if they are going to a new series next year and most of the race hardware would be redundant??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Sep 2003, 04:46 (Ref:724807)   #7
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems like Haas would leave and Paul Newman or maybee Mario would buy out Haas. Then the team and hardware would remain intact. Maybee some of the people would go with Haas, but it doesn't seem like much of the hardware would be of any use over there.
Old 20 Sep 2003, 09:08 (Ref:724874)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be a shame to see Newman-Haas split, but it's improtant that they both do what they want. Carl Haas has been loyal to CART so far, despite Toyota's big offer last year, so it can't be based purely on greed. Paul is much more committed to road/street racing, and will surely want to continue in CART,ideally with Bruno and Seb.
Old 20 Sep 2003, 09:44 (Ref:724890)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Boots is right, in that Haas has been very loyal to CART, regardless of Toyota's money. Thus the acronym that Dov used for him in the opening post took me by surprise.

N/H was the last of the existing teams to officially announce their involvement in CART last offseason. They were testing drivers in CART machinery, but kept everybody in limbo as to where they'd be racing. It's been my own speculation that these guys have been somewhat at-odds all season, and I suspect that this will be the last campaign for the team as we know it. Paul will be back next year, I'd bet my farm if I had one to bet. Carl, I'm not so sure.

Racer69... Even if Newman does join forces with an existing team, that's not going to mean "two cars down the drain", as he's going to be bringing at least one with him. I have no crystal ball, but if Haas should depart, Newman will take one of the cars and merge with another existing outfit, such as Gentilozzi, or else team up with Mario. (It's only natural and somewhat obvious that Mario's name should come to mind). At any rate, there's no way that two cars will be lost from the grid. And, should he actually start up a new operation with Mario, I'm sure that it would remain two cars.

This is all just unfounded speculation right now, anyway. Carl Haas has been really good to CART, and I like to think that this is all just moot.
Old 20 Sep 2003, 15:45 (Ref:725032)   #10
Radioshoes
Rookie

Radioshoes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy

Racer69... but if Haas should depart, Newman will take one of the cars and merge with another existing outfit, such as Gentilozzi, or else team up with Mario. (It's only natural and somewhat obvious that Mario's name should come to mind). At any rate, there's no way that two cars will be lost from the grid. And, should he actually start up a new operation with Mario, I'm sure that it would remain two cars.

This is all just unfounded speculation right now, anyway. Carl Haas has been really good to CART, and I like to think that this is all just moot.
If Haas wants to twIRL then he should go with no hard feelings. He has been really good to and for CART. I would wish him well as long as he behaves with dignity and doesn't bad mouth CART on the way out.

As for Mario....I think this is the perfect opportunity for him. Wasn't he supposed to run a car this year as part of N/H? This may well be the impetous he needs to make up his mind to become an owner. It would be so sweet to have Newman/Andretti Racing, (NewAnd Racing? AndNew Racing? ManRetti Racing?) Gentelozzi/Andretti or Andretti/Gentelozzi doesn't have the same ring.

It's really refreshing to come to this board and read messages *about* next year instead of people speculating *if* there will be a next year.

Cheers
Old 20 Sep 2003, 16:29 (Ref:725069)   #11
Ben 93 325is
Racer

Ben 93 325is should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everything I have heard states Andretti will take Haas' spot in the team. Sounds good to me! Carl can take his cigar chewing, race car touching butt elsewhere.
Old 20 Sep 2003, 19:41 (Ref:725173)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be rather confusing to have Andretti-Green in Another Series and Andretti-Newman in CART, wouldn't it? Maybe they'll change the name of the team to something else?

Anyway it may be all speculation. Haven't heard anything about it but what I read on rumour mills.
Old 20 Sep 2003, 22:32 (Ref:725259)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know... we already have two PK Racings...and two American Spirit Racings....why not two "Andretti..." racings?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 20 Sep 2003, 22:33 (Ref:725260)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And they're all very confusing :confused:
Old 21 Sep 2003, 00:03 (Ref:725287)   #15
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know how confusing it is Liz. For the enthusiast they know who is racing where. I think for the casual fan they just know the name Andretti and really have no clue which formula which one races in, nor do I think they really care. They just beleive if an Andretti name is associated with it they must be in the right place.
Old 21 Sep 2003, 01:55 (Ref:725332)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The casual fan is already confused a ton as far as Open-Racing is concerned...F1, Cart, IRL - it's all the same right? so...I don't think a little more confused will be a problem .
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 21 Sep 2003, 02:07 (Ref:725335)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If they actually had commercial sponsors the teams could be named after them
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Sep 2003, 02:09 (Ref:725336)   #18
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
You guys have me totally confused!
Old 21 Sep 2003, 04:15 (Ref:725356)   #19
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
You guys have me totally confused!
Wait... there is a NASCAB Andretti also ?!
Old 21 Sep 2003, 06:40 (Ref:725386)   #20
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
Wait... there is a NASCAB Andretti also ?!
Indeed!

P.S. While I'm not a huge fan of NASCAR, I don't mind having the Andretti name associated with them or (most) other auto racing series, but the EARL is a different story!
Old 21 Sep 2003, 11:06 (Ref:725523)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why are we assuming that Mario Andretti will buy in. Apart from the Road America event, he hasn't really been that visible lately compared to earlier this year/last year.
Old 21 Sep 2003, 16:25 (Ref:725657)   #22
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Why are we assuming that Mario Andretti will buy in. Apart from the Road America event, he hasn't really been that visible lately compared to earlier this year/last year.
"Visibility" is a matter of perception. And when it comes to Mario - we all know that he enjoys talking, and some of us know that he's quite busy doing it - many speaking engagements on Mario's schedule (almost on weekly basis). Just a couple days ago he was at a school somewhere in Indiana telling kids the ins and outs of racing and in all likelyhood a thing or two about Champ Cars. So, pressing grapes in Sonoma Valley isn't all he's doing lately.

zerO
Old 21 Sep 2003, 17:56 (Ref:725710)   #23
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
http://www.southbendtribune.com/stor...peeds_past.sto

September 19, 2003

Andretti speeds past generation gap

Racing legend revs up young crowd at LaPorte High

By STAN MADDUX
Tribune Correspondent

LAPORTE -- Mario Andretti hasn't driven a race in nine years but, even at 63, he still appeals to a young crowd.

The racing legend was at LaPorte High School on Thursday to pass along advice on safe driving and life.

But it was speed and his still handsome looks that seemed to generate the most interest, despite the wide generation gap between Andretti and the 300 or more students in attendance.

Following a rock concert-type introduction complete with pulsating techno-sounds and a flurry of T-shirts flung into the buzzing student audience, he stepped onto the auditorium stage.

"We want you, Mario," shouted several girls from their seats.

While Andretti was answering a question from a student, LaPorte High School senior Jessica Biernacki whispered to a friend, "He's cute. He's hot."

His 45-minute presentation was a question-and-answer session in which a long line of students eagerly waited to step up to the microphone.

Most of the inquiries were about his brilliant racing career and what it's like to travel 200 miles per hour and crash.

Very popular among the students was a story by Andretti about taking his now-late father for a drive in a Lamborghini sports car at 170 miles per hour on the streets in his hometown of Nazareth, Pa.

Andretti said the ride three years ago seemed to inject a precious moment of energy into his ailing father, who later succumbed to cancer.

But, ever since, Andretti stressed he's never gone over the speed limit.

In reacting to his appearance, 16-year-old junior Beth Lloyd said, "He was a neat guy. He's been through a lot."

Lloyd added, "I liked the Lamborghini part."

Despite most students thirsting to know about racing, Andretti managed to squeeze in tips on vehicle maintenance and safety.

He emphasized checking air pressure regularly to maintain good tire wear and prevent sudden blowouts, which can lead to an accident.

Just as important are regular tune-ups, defensive driving, seat belts and obeying all traffic laws. Andretti, though, said the most valuable piece of advice for anyone is to graduate not only from high school but college as well.

"In today's society you don't exist without a good formal education," said Andretti.

And, for those with aspirations of racing, Andretti told students to attend a driving school to find out if they've got what it takes.

If they do, vigorously pursue their dreams.

18-year-old senior Katie Knickrehm said Andretti's message really soaked in because of his stature.

"When it comes from somebody famous or somebody we look up to it actually means something so much different, and we feel like we know these people rather than just strangers telling us what to do," said Knickrehm.

Others were simply thrilled at the chance to see a legend.

"He's awesome. He's incredible. I just can't believe he came to a small town like this," said Biernacki.

Andretti flew in a private plane from Pennsylvania to South Bend, then made the drive to LaPorte.

He later spent more than two hours signing autographs and posing for pictures at Zol-Mon Tire at 607 J St.

Zol-Mon Tire, a Firestone dealership, requested the appearance by Andretti, who's been a spokesman for Firestone since at least 1969 when he won the Indianapolis 500, said Larry DeSalvo, a Firestone sales representative.

Last edited by Dov; 21 Sep 2003 at 17:58.
Old 21 Sep 2003, 22:32 (Ref:725877)   #24
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is an awfully long thread for a rumour started by some idiot with a webpage
Old 21 Sep 2003, 23:26 (Ref:725921)   #25
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
I don't know who originally started the rumour, but it has been going on for a while now.....at least since last season. I guess we will know if there is any truth to this rumour in the next few months. Yes, Carl Haas has been loyal to CART for many years, but if he goes to the EARL, then he is just another traitor!!!