Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 2 Sep 2006, 22:48 (Ref:1700282)   #1
lancaster
Rookie

England
Worcestershire
lancaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden Future

I was concerned to read in MN this week in the 'Racing News' pages (single seaters etc. i.e. The pages that get read last!) that Ron Dennis, owner of Lydden is apparently trying to get McLaren a return on investment and following a course of possibly getting track fees or circuit utilisation increased by threatening closure of the circuit to replace it with a training centre for professional drivers "such as those in the emergency services".

Now why would a man or business that makes a living from motorsport .....?

Reading the single seater forums here it would appear that they don't hold Lydden in the high regard that the Rallycross fraternity do and would rather pay the higher track fees offered by Brands Hatch. Expect no support from them.

Surely at a time of increasing visibility Rallycross can not afford to lose its spiritual home!

I'm a lowly spectator who lives 4 hours drive away from Lydden and it's my favourite. Isn't it time for the sport to speak up? If that news had appeared in the Sporting Scene pages I can only assume this subject would have been aired here sooner.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 07:45 (Ref:1700426)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Lyddens future has been the subject of specualtion for as long as I can remember, orginally McLaren wanted to build a test track there for their road cars but planning restrictions scuppered that one. I guess by using the 'emergency services' angle on it they can play the "in the public interest" card to try and get it through the planning stages. Once it's all built they can just apply for a change of use at a later date and they'll have got what they originally wanted. Cynical? Me?

Like you I struggle to see how an organisation that has built its reputation on the race tracks can even consider closing a track down. Lydden is one of the few truly grass roots circuits left (as well as being a classic rallycross track) and its loss would be a huge blow to the sport as a whole. I sincerely hope that whatever McLaren decides to do the circuit is allowed to continue operating as a race and rallycross venue.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 08:17 (Ref:1700447)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agree with you that its loss would be a major blow but as a circuit racer myself I don't go there anymore, simply because there are better, more fun venues, to race at. However, the rallycross circuit is important.

This may be a case where if Rallycross went back to its winter roots, the circuit could show a continuous use thus making it more profitable?
Old 3 Sep 2006, 08:26 (Ref:1700453)   #4
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect that there is a lot more to this than meets the eye, and possibly that the circuit will remain, in its current configeration and use. Like Bert, I've have been going to Lydden for as long as I can remember, and throughout that time there has been "speculation" about the venue. Even back to Bill Chesson's days he used to be in regular conflict with the officialdom! And don't forget the circuit was closed for a short period of time when Tom Bissett first took over as it did not meet the safety requirements.

And regardless of whether rallycross ran at the winter would make no difference to the profitibility of the venue as their planning restrictions only allow a certain number of days use a year, I believe around 50. So by putting rallycross as a winter use would only spread the income more throughout the year, but would not increase it. Also, the income would possibly decrease as less casual spectators would come out on days when its cold and wet.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1700456)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upside Down Bug
And regardless of whether rallycross ran at the winter would make no difference to the profitibility of the venue as their planning restrictions only allow a certain number of days use a year, I believe around 50. So by putting rallycross as a winter use would only spread the income more throughout the year, but would not increase it. Also, the income would possibly decrease as less casual spectators would come out on days when its cold and wet.
Good point.

I used to like Rallcross there when it was cold and wet.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 09:38 (Ref:1700494)   #6
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
... (as well as being a classic rallycross track) ...
Not just that. It's the home of Rallycross as the sport was born here on February 4 1967 – and nowhere else!
Old 4 Sep 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1701801)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru
Not just that. It's the home of Rallycross as the sport was born here on February 4 1967 – and nowhere else!
It mustn't count for that much if there isn't even an ERC round in the UK any longer!
Old 5 Sep 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1702135)   #8
PhergAthor
Racer

Belgium
Maasmechelen, Belgium
PhergAthor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
It mustn't count for that much if there isn't even an ERC round in the UK any longer!
There is no UK round cause there are no Brits racing the ERC. Applying different rulez the last years didn't help either.

But with the UK and Ireland moving towards the FIA-rulez again and the increased intrest in ERC from both public and drivers, why couldn't there be a round again in the UK/Ireland?
Old 5 Sep 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1702237)   #9
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no British ERC round as no British organiser/club has applied with the RAC and therefore the RAC has not applied with the FIA. That the circuits must follow the FIA's safety rules/standards nowadays is another problem, also for Ireland and Mondello. However, the current ERC rules allow 12 EC rounds. So far we do 11, since Hungary has joined. This year there should have been a test race for an ERC event of 2007 at Bauska/Latvia, but its application was cancelled. In 2007 there should be a test race for an ERC round of 2008 at Vysokaya Gora/Tatarstan/Russia. Will say: ECR no. 12 is still available – but for how long...?
Old 5 Sep 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1702525)   #10
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ideal situation would be to turn Lydden into a rallycross only venue like Belguim and Holland have. The new generation of rallycross fans have yet to sample European rallycross at Lydden with the fantastic atmoshphere it creates, so come on rich business types lets turn Lydden into the best rallycross venue in the world, it has so much potential.

2008 GB ERC round, possibly up north.

Last edited by Barrie; 5 Sep 2006 at 17:41.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1702713)   #11
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I don't think a rallycross only venue would be viable, Lydden in its current form with a bit more spent on it is fine - it's a good venue for club racing, sprints and track days as well as rallycross. Whatever happens racing must be allowed to continue at the site.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1702751)   #12
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with that Bert. As I have only "just" discovered Lydden, it would be a great shame to loose it because of some ****** big McLaren man with a bad ego.

See you Saturday?
Old 6 Sep 2006, 07:39 (Ref:1702956)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
Agree with that Bert. As I have only "just" discovered Lydden, it would be a great shame to loose it because of some ****** big McLaren man with a bad ego.

See you Saturday?
I can understand them wanting to sell the site or make greater use of it for their own commercial gain but McLaren have made their name racing - I just don't understand how an organisation with racing as such a core part of their activities and history could even contemplate shutting down a circuit. If anything they should be promoting racing at club level and making sure that Lydden stays open as a race venue.

And yep - I'll be there on Saturday
Old 6 Sep 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1703028)   #14
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully this Saturday's festival (which includes rallycross stock hatches, trucks, club racing and oval racing) will raise public awareness of the venue. It has certainly sparked interest from local radio stations, newspapers and TV. A show of solidarity from racers and spectators might convince the owners that the venue has got a future in club motorsport. I certainly hope so.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1703666)   #15
Spectator
Racer

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Spectator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there. If it is half as good as last year it should be a great day