Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Oct 2019, 11:00 (Ref:3935395)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
And, if I remember correctly, it was brought forward a couple of weeks in 1986 in order to avoid a clash with, IIRC, the French Open Tennis. That was useful since my children were all at school in those days and the new date coincided with school holidays.
Yes, that was my first LM. May 31st/June 1st......
Old 18 Oct 2019, 13:07 (Ref:3935421)   #27
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I think RTLM is more interesting that the Ferrari and Aston stuff certainly. Variety is one thing (and I respect that you value that a lot), but my biggest issue with the races is they are just thoroughly unimpressive to watch trackside. The driving talent skews waaaaay towards the AM side of the spectrum.

I think the best support race I remember in my nine years was the 2014 Carrera Cup event. And I think a lot of that boiled down to the driving talent on display that day.

Found this video when Googling the year - https://youtu.be/olEYg62Y7RQ

When I was watching that it felt like it actually mattered who won it.
The said '14 Cup event was somewhat reminiscent of the massive Porsche support race for N24 in 2011, you know the one that had Porsche Supercup integrating with various national championships at Nordschleife... they shoulde have more stuff like that

Anyway if they got Masters Endurance Legends, I think they'd have bit more actual pros in it than in the rotating Legends races of Group C and 1949-65 period... at Silverstone Classic, the cars seemed to be going wheel to wheel quite a few times
Old 18 Oct 2019, 14:54 (Ref:3935449)   #28
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I think RTLM is more interesting that the Ferrari and Aston stuff certainly. Variety is one thing (and I respect that you value that a lot), but my biggest issue with the races is they are just thoroughly unimpressive to watch trackside. The driving talent skews waaaaay towards the AM side of the spectrum.

I think the best support race I remember in my nine years was the 2014 Carrera Cup event. And I think a lot of that boiled down to the driving talent on display that day.

Found this video when Googling the year - https://youtu.be/olEYg62Y7RQ

When I was watching that it felt like it actually mattered who won it.
Agree with all of that.

That 2014 Porsche race was the combined France and UK Carrera Cups, right? With a bit of imagination they could create some one-off special events like that. Maybe French Carrera Cup combined with that Ligier two class series or something else random like that. Why not?

https://ligiereuropeanseries.com/

As for a longer RTLM race, I think the reason they went for two short races was so that they wouldn't have to refuel. Too difficult to accommodate in the pitlane that close to the start of the main race.
Old 19 Oct 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3935611)   #29
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only if they move the morning practice session to an hour later. Late night on the Friday in preparation for the long night Saturday makes a lie in all the better.
Old 19 Oct 2019, 15:53 (Ref:3935648)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just don't have a late night on Friday..... For those who do the Saturday/Sunday all-nighter, a decent amount of sleep on Friday night is essential....
Old 21 Oct 2019, 11:09 (Ref:3936052)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
A 4 pm start would make the 2020 Worldwide Known Traditional Ten-Tenths Meeting more leisurely
Also means a later breakfast that morning.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 12:33 (Ref:3936062)   #32
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes meet could drift on a bit, but for those of us that head home Sunday, a little bit more of a rush to hit the coast in time to get the ferries/tunnels.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 12:55 (Ref:3936067)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll be traveling on the Monday.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3936278)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Moi aussi - always do.....
Old 22 Oct 2019, 18:03 (Ref:3936281)   #35
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Each to their own, have stayed Sunday night a couple of times in the past and to be honest i have no reason to be back on Monday. However i always feel that after the race i just want to get home.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 19:04 (Ref:3936293)   #36
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I don’t like the 4pm start either. Makes for too much waiting around on Sat, though I might eat those words if something substantial like a proper Masters Endurance race is added.

I also always fly home from 24H races on Sunday. I have a long list of races I want to attend and not unlimited holiday so not having to take Mon off helps. In fact for Spa 24H next year I’m not taking Fri off either - in on Sat, out on Sun - but crowds, long drive from Paris CDG and a desire to watch warm-up mean I’ll always travel to Le Mans on the Friday.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 20:50 (Ref:3936303)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Each to their own, have stayed Sunday night a couple of times in the past and to be honest i have no reason to be back on Monday. However i always feel that after the race i just want to get home.
For me Simon, it's a case of being totally spent after the race. I struggled to stay awake 30 years ago when I was a lot younger than I am now and there's no way I could drive straight back afterwards. The Sunday evening is actually very pleasant, an early meal then straight to bed to catch up on shuteye. Then of course there's the inevitable wall-to-wall sunshine for the journey back on Monday......
Old 22 Oct 2019, 22:13 (Ref:3936312)   #38
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Yep there is the sunshine after the race, but i am hoping the sun will sun for 24 hours next year.
Old 23 Oct 2019, 05:53 (Ref:3936345)   #39
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Yep there is the sunshine after the race, but i am hoping the sun will sun for 24 hours next year.
Hopefully not - the night time is not the same if fully lit
Old 23 Oct 2019, 07:28 (Ref:3936354)   #40
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Hopefully not - the night time is not the same if fully lit
Well did not actually mean that but would love a week with out that dreaded word that is banned on this forum.
Old 23 Oct 2019, 19:51 (Ref:3936453)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Let it be so.......
Old 9 Nov 2019, 13:58 (Ref:3939438)   #42
Jager
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Australia
Jager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those of us in Australia/Asia, the delayed start time pushes the start of the telecast back to 10pm - midnight. 3pm is definitely better.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 08:46 (Ref:3941329)   #43
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
A 4 pm start would make the 2020 Worldwide Known Traditional Ten-Tenths Meeting more leisurely
And wet.......
with another hour, some might not see the start of the race.
Don't you agree, Helen?
Old 18 Nov 2019, 08:48 (Ref:3941330)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Old 18 Nov 2019, 11:35 (Ref:3941377)   #45
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
As her dad i will ensure she refuses all dutch alcoholic drinks bought by disreputable european parties, unless i test them first. Hoping to get ticket situation sorted before June.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 22:48 (Ref:3941508)   #46
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On my 2019 trip (as a marshal) I received the wisdom to beware of unlabelled bottles of clear liquid.

The funny thing is, they were right!