Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Jun 2019, 09:29 (Ref:3908014)   #751
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
They don't own them.

Whilst the cars have shown some potential, I'm certain Top Run are glad they're gone.
Is top run still the designated manufacturer for Subaru? Wondering if the Kelly’s were looking to make a play at that hence the Molly Taylor inchcape connection..
Old 5 Jun 2019, 09:43 (Ref:3908018)   #752
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
Is top run still the designated manufacturer for Subaru? Wondering if the Kelly’s were looking to make a play at that hence the Molly Taylor inchcape connection..
You wonder if this is possible, but they obviously have a lot of work to do - probably starting with removing the factory gearbox, and working out how to prevent the apparent suspension failure?
Old 5 Jun 2019, 10:21 (Ref:3908021)   #753
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gearbox is full of Australian Modena Engineering goodies, with a Motec paddle-shift kit added.

Top Run are still the approved constructors, but there's been little in the way of development on the cars, mostly due what I believe is a lack of funds from not having sold any chassis until ARG bought the two the Kellys have custody of. They had a third chassis under way, but it has not been completed as far as I can tell.

The suspension failure could be contributed to the fact that it's easily the oldest chassis on the grid, having debuted at the tail end of the 2015 TCR International season. The car Ms Taylor has, is a much newer build, only doing a handful events before coming here.

Both cars are very underdeveloped, but also very potent, as capable steerers have extracted competitive speed out of them. Mr Kelly has mentioned too, that they are a heavy build meaning any reduction in BOP weight, is difficult to jettison from the cars. Hopefully Top Run will use the funds generated from their sale, to develop and homologate an evolution for next year.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 13:06 (Ref:3908044)   #754
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
As I've said before, those Subaru's are utter crap.
Is the engine longitudinal like a real Subaru, using a transaxle from a rear wheel drive car up front [i.e., laid out like a real FWD Subaru or FWD Audi (a real one like an A4, not a rebadged Golf)]? [I've heard transverse before, but that doesn't make much sense!]

If so, the low COG of the boxer and overall layout could potentially serve them well.
Old 7 Jun 2019, 10:18 (Ref:3908432)   #755
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whilst this is clearly the 2019 thread, the fish wrappers are reporting that discussions have taken place to add TCR to the Supercars undercard, as soon as next year.
Old 7 Jun 2019, 10:40 (Ref:3908435)   #756
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool, hopefully at the expense of the Sh*t utes
Old 7 Jun 2019, 10:45 (Ref:3908436)   #757
Umai Naa
Veteran

Supercars and the teams involved are heavily invested in them, so they'll be around for a while yet.
Old 7 Jun 2019, 11:36 (Ref:3908441)   #758
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
Cool, hopefully at the expense of the Sh*t utes
This.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 07:12 (Ref:3908973)   #759
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame GRM whinged and moaned and threatened legal action over Volvo pulling out of V8Supercars......they might have been able to get their hands on a customer Lynk & Co deal for the Aussie TCR series

They looking like much better front runners than the Renaults
Old 10 Jun 2019, 07:25 (Ref:3908979)   #760
Umai Naa
Veteran

Won't see the Lynk, etc here until Geely decides it's worth importing the road car.
Old 11 Jun 2019, 01:05 (Ref:3909255)   #761
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Whilst this is clearly the 2019 thread, the fish wrappers are reporting that discussions have taken place to add TCR to the Supercars undercard, as soon as next year.
Who thinks this is a good idea?

OK the extra exposure would be great for the Teams, sponsors and manufacturers.

But they would not have pit lane garages, costs would increase with entry fees probably higher, accommodation probably triple for team members and others and would the format have to be altered?

There was a pretty decent crowd at PI and I think they organisers would be better to build on what has been a very promising start for the new category.

However Supercars have managed to assemble a pretty poor support category package and TCR would certainly add some much needed quality.
Old 11 Jun 2019, 01:21 (Ref:3909258)   #762
Umai Naa
Veteran

What they might gain in corporate exposure trackside, they'll lose out in TV time, facilities, and increased operating costs.

Are ARG going to continue to bankroll the championship next year, in terms of supplying cars, subisidising budgets and hired guns?
Old 11 Jun 2019, 09:33 (Ref:3909320)   #763
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Who thinks this is a good idea?

OK the extra exposure would be great for the Teams, sponsors and manufacturers.

But they would not have pit lane garages, costs would increase with entry fees probably higher, accommodation probably triple for team members and others and would the format have to be altered?

There was a pretty decent crowd at PI and I think they organisers would be better to build on what has been a very promising start for the new category.

However Supercars have managed to assemble a pretty poor support category package and TCR would certainly add some much needed quality.
The reason the support categories are so poor is simple, the money that SC demands from them, nothing more and nothing less. I was part of a fantasy for being a support category until the money side was revealed and it stopped the idea dead. That was back in the heyday of SC, things may be different now. Does a Leopard change its spots?
Old 11 Jun 2019, 10:02 (Ref:3909326)   #764
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they stay away from the SC circus. If a few more of our better known and credentialed drivers were able to run, then the crowds will eventually come. I went to PI purely on the basis to see Whincup in the GT and Tander in TCR.
Old 11 Jun 2019, 14:19 (Ref:3909367)   #765
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana View Post
I hope they stay away from the SC circus. If a few more of our better known and credentialed drivers were able to run, then the crowds will eventually come. I went to PI purely on the basis to see Whincup in the GT and Tander in TCR.
Id rather see TCR Aus stay solo, or alongside Aus GT anyway... They can work together to build a strong independent package.

Being a european, the whole Supercars circus seems as overrated as Nascar.If you watch it at face value the action really isnt as knockout as some would suggest
Old 11 Jun 2019, 14:33 (Ref:3909371)   #766
Umai Naa
Veteran

If the rumours hold any truth, there are a few AusGT operators seriously looking to jump ship into TCR...
Old 11 Jun 2019, 22:56 (Ref:3909455)   #767
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Id rather see TCR Aus stay solo, or alongside Aus GT anyway... They can work together to build a strong independent package.
However over the past 25 years of Australia Motorsport this has not been possible.

Whether it be the TOCA package, the Power Tour or Ross Palmer pouring millions in to the Nation's Cup show these stand alone series have not proved viable over the long term.

I went to Phillip Island on Sunday and was genuinely happy that the series attracted a crowd.

I'll be even happier if I can do the same in five years time.
Old 12 Jun 2019, 00:28 (Ref:3909464)   #768
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
If the rumours hold any truth, there are a few AusGT operators seriously looking to jump ship into TCR...

Who’s left to jump ship?
Old 12 Jun 2019, 02:54 (Ref:3909477)   #769
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jump from the life raft?
Old 18 Jun 2019, 03:34 (Ref:3912597)   #770
Umai Naa
Veteran

Wall Racing have taken delivery of two new cars, one of which was originally destined to WTCR team KCMG. With a driver soon to be signed.

They are apparently in the process of repairing the car that was heavily damaged at PI.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 05:03 (Ref:3913830)   #771
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GRM look to be getting into development of the underdone Renault TCR car:
https://autoaction.com.au/2019/06/24...tyYkbra-i64W2k

You'd think the Kelly's would be talking to top run too.

Could we see giant-killing performances like Shell Sierras beating the world's best, or the local GTR that was so well developed, albeit illegal.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 05:08 (Ref:3913831)   #772
Umai Naa
Veteran

The Kellys can't get the Astra working, and that's a proven thing...
Old 24 Jun 2019, 09:20 (Ref:3913884)   #773
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I understand the Astra is a nicer car and the Subarus are a bit rough. maybe Andrea is making it look reasonable and Rullo should be able to do the same with the Astra.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 09:42 (Ref:3913888)   #774
Umai Naa
Veteran

The Kelly Astras are the first of the Lubner-built cars, so maybe that's where all the gremlins have stemmed from?

The Subarus have some miles on them, so those issues would be down to wear and tear.
Old 25 Jun 2019, 02:00 (Ref:3914035)   #775
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
GRM look to be getting into development of the underdone Renault TCR car:
https://autoaction.com.au/2019/06/24...tyYkbra-i64W2k

You'd think the Kelly's would be talking to top run too.

Could we see giant-killing performances like Shell Sierras beating the world's best, or the local GTR that was so well developed, albeit illegal.

Isn't different versions of the same car against the rules of TCR?

What was illegal about the GTR?