Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Jun 2019, 18:46 (Ref:3912725)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Restart procedure after Safety Car period.

OK, not only in histerics, but not long ago there were two distinct procedures adopted by different organisers.

The first dictated that when the SC lights went off and it pulled off the circuit, green flags would be shown at all Marshals post, competitors could immediately start racing, and if possible, overtake, wherever they were on the track at the time.

The alternative dictated that green flags would be shown at all Marshals posts, as above, BUT cars had to hold position, and not overtake, until passing the start line.

It seems now that most historic organisers have settled on the latter approach, but why? First- It can be very unfair, here’s an example from Dijon recently. The slowest car in the race can only manage 138kph on the straights, the next slowest just over 160kph, your car 210-230kph or higher. You’re behind, and have just passed the start line when green flags are waved. So you have almost a lap following before you can overtake a car that laps 20 seconds slower. Meanwhile, the cars you were chasing have disappeared..... I know that in a perfect world, all the competing cars would be line astern behind the SC, but in reality that is seldom the case. What happens on many occasions is that the odd individual ignores the rule, overtakes one or several cars, but is not penalised. Surely if everyone was allowed to overtake, that scenario would be eliminated?

At the race meeting in the above example, one competitor took it upon themselves to ask the CoC the reasons behind the ‘no overtaking until’ rule, but he wasn’t able to give one!

Anyone have an answer as to why the procedure was adopted?
Old 18 Jun 2019, 19:27 (Ref:3912733)   #2
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Assuming you're talking about a single SC procedure, not several SC's, you mean you're not allowed to take over after the start/finish line when green flags are waved and the SC is parked? I'm surprised because this case is clearly explained during the briefing. My understanding is that you can overtake.
Why this procedure is adopted, can't answer.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 21:38 (Ref:3912756)   #3
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you sure you'e got that right Mike? In the example you gave, cars behind you that cross the line after the green flags go out would be allowed to overtake you, but you can't retaliate. Or am I missing something?
Old 18 Jun 2019, 21:56 (Ref:3912759)   #4
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike, I think the scenario you describe can only happen if, for some reason, the field is very spread out. If I understand it, the safety car is coming in when you are still the best part of a lap behind it? The solution is surely a tighter formation behind the safety car - maybe it needs to go slower or be out for longer to achieve that
Old 18 Jun 2019, 21:59 (Ref:3912760)   #5
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Last weekend I observed a car at the rear of the field (but for one who was recovering from a spin or something) circulating at about the same speed as the safety car and seemingly keeping the track safe rather than attempting to catch the end of the snake.

I decided that the X plate indicate bother an inexperienced and not up to speed driver and perhaps an unfamiliarity with the way things were meant to work and what was acceptable.

However when the SC period ended his speed remained the same and I realised it was about the same as had been achieved before the SC. So he may well have been trying to catch up but was unable to do so within his comfort zone.

Not good news for the chap behind him. They must have been about 3/4 of a lap behind.

There has to be a way of making allowances for this sort of situation and to cover Mike's concerns as well. (Assuming that the managed speed limit solution (Code 60?) does not provide the solution which it may not for many reasons.)
Old 18 Jun 2019, 22:02 (Ref:3912761)   #6
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that's the point - the SC effectively has to go at a speed that everyone can exceed or the grid won't close up behind it. I can see that could be tricky in situations with big speed differentials
Old 18 Jun 2019, 22:25 (Ref:3912762)   #7
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
I think that's the point - the SC effectively has to go at a speed that everyone can exceed or the grid won't close up behind it. I can see that could be tricky in situations with big speed differentials

Assuming they know they are expected to close up and that it is OK to try to do so.

Huge compromises on all aspects (not the least for the marshals) no matter what one does.
Old 19 Jun 2019, 05:44 (Ref:3912792)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just to clarify, this is from one organiser's regs…

12.3.4 – All competing cars will form up in line behind the Safety Car no more than 5 cars lengths apart. Any overtaking on the track is forbidden, unless a car is signalled to do so by the Safety Car.
12.5.2 – When the Clerk of the course calls in the Safety Car, the latter will extinguish its lights. This will be the signal to the drivers that it will leave the track to the pit lane at the end of that lap. At this point the first car in line behind the Safety Car may dictate the pace and, if necessary, leave more than 5 cars lengths behind the following car. As the Safety Car is approaching the pit lane, the yellow flags and the "SC" boards at the Marshals posts will be withdrawn and waving green flags will be displayed for no more than one lap.
12.5.3 – Overtaking is strictly prohibited until the cars go through the green lights/flags located on the timekeeping line.
Old 19 Jun 2019, 05:56 (Ref:3912795)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I know how I feel, after a SC period at Spa I was held up behind a car that was actually lapping 30 seconds slower than the safety car and the race was completely "sodded up" as I lost the guys that I was racing with. I would have though that in a case like this the marshals should have been instructed to wave us by ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Jun 2019, 06:04 (Ref:3912796)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Are you sure you'e got that right Mike? In the example you gave, cars behind you that cross the line after the green flags go out would be allowed to overtake you, but you can't retaliate. Or am I missing something?
Correct Colin, That could happen.

Quote:
Mike, I think the scenario you describe can only happen if, for some reason, the field is very spread out. If I understand it, the safety car is coming in when you are still the best part of a lap behind it? The solution is surely a tighter formation behind the safety car - maybe it needs to go slower or be out for longer to achieve that

Often as not, the field will be spread out, however hard race control try to control it, but no-one wants the SC to be out any longer than absolutely necessary. For example, a car stops in a dangerous spot with a mechanical issue. The SC is deployed, but the car fires up again and continues. You can't leave the SC out for several laps with a 60 car field until there is a train. For more than one reason, some cars / drivers do not catch up the train. We had a situation couple of years back where the whole of the pitwall, including marshals, were frantically trying to get one driver to go quicker, as the SC was catching them up.....

Quote:
The issue is more likely in a grid where there are big lap time differences. In a one make grid it shouldn't be such a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I know how I feel, after a SC period at Spa I was held up behind a car that was actually lapping 30 seconds slower than the safety car and the race was completely "sodded up" as I lost the guys that I was racing with. I would have though that in a case like this the marshals should have been instructed to wave us by ?

Yes. Despite the regulation in my last post stating overtaking 'strictly prohibited', if a car is lapping slowly due to a problem, it is normally acceptable for the driver to wave other cars past, but the marshals are not really in a position to make that decision?

I'm still looking for any reason why the regulation was adopted, rether than the alternative of racing to start as soon as green flags are waved!
Old 19 Jun 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3912819)   #11
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
too many SCs in this country, period. Far prefer FCY or Code 60.
Old 19 Jun 2019, 08:43 (Ref:3912822)   #12
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
What is clear is that for one question we have several interpretations!
I'm with MG David FCY is a good thing as seen at Le Mans last week. We need well trained marshals and its a must to respect them. I've been working on that a long while ago, marshaling is not a piece of cake.
Old 19 Jun 2019, 08:57 (Ref:3912825)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Agreed, and not just UK, but doesn’t answer my question!

As a matter of interest, with FCY you are racing again, and can overtake, as soon as the flags are withdrawn / swapped for green? If that’s the case, why not at the end of a SC period?
Old 19 Jun 2019, 09:20 (Ref:3912828)   #14
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I know I'm thick, but my understanding is that you're allowed to race again when the green flags are waved after crossing the start/finish line. And no, this doesn't answer you question. And yes, your unanswered question brings others!
Old 19 Jun 2019, 09:22 (Ref:3912829)   #15
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
May be you just experienced a lack of mutual understanding at Dijon? On the other french tracks you're allowed to drive with two wheels on the herbs. Explained during the briefing. Do it twice in a row at Dijon and you'll be warned for track limits.
Old 19 Jun 2019, 10:17 (Ref:3912840)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Yes. Despite the regulation in my last post stating overtaking 'strictly prohibited', if a car is lapping slowly due to a problem, it is normally acceptable for the driver to wave other cars past, but the marshals are not really in a position to make that decision?

:
In the case I was referring to, the driver of the car was lapping at his "normal" race speed !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Jun 2019, 11:32 (Ref:3912853)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
May be you just experienced a lack of mutual understanding at Dijon? On the other french tracks you're allowed to drive with two wheels on the herbs. Explained during the briefing. Do it twice in a row at Dijon and you'll be warned for track limits.
Nothing to do with Dijon, Gerard. Just using a recent race there as one example!

Quote:
I know I'm thick, but my understanding is that you're allowed to race again when the green flags are waved after crossing the start/finish line. And no, this doesn't answer you question. And yes, your unanswered question brings others!

You're not thick, Gerard, but maybe misunderstanding my point. In the recent past, one or some organisers would allow you to overtake before crossing the start line, as soon as the green flags were shown around the circuit. What was wrong with that system, which has resulted in what many perceive to be a less satisfactory situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
In the case I was referring to, the driver of the car was lapping at his "normal" race speed !
Which is the problem with races that have a wide disparity in car (and driver) performance. So why not allow overtaking as soon as green flags are shown?
Old 19 Jun 2019, 15:37 (Ref:3912906)   #18
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The problem is that the

"no overtaking before the start finish line" rule at the restart

is usually not enforced
(if one hasnt been passed under yellows and even SC sign beforehand)

so what the exact rules are that get disregarded und go unenforced anyway,
doesnt really matter

RuE
Old 19 Jun 2019, 16:05 (Ref:3912914)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
The problem is that the "no overtaking before the start finish line" rule at the restart is usually not enforced

RuE
I’d agree that in the past it hasn’t been, but one European organiser has started to take note, as it is usually fairly obvious from the lap charts! When, as happened at Spa earlier this year, a car jumped up the order 6 places in the lap the SC period was ending, it was easily seen on the sophisticated live timing now available to all......

But we’re still no closer to finding the reason why the rule was adopted!
Old 19 Jun 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3912932)   #20
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
But we’re still no closer to finding the reason why the rule was adopted!
Indeed, Mike, indeed…
I can understand an other point, I was stuck behind an Abarth at Dijon, this car couldn't catch the rather fast SC! You know those days!
Old 19 Jun 2019, 18:23 (Ref:3912938)   #21
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Indeed, Mike, indeed…
I can understand an other point, I was stuck behind an Abarth at Dijon, this car couldn't catch the rather fast SC! You know those days!
I once broke down in a race at Spa and one of the course cars towed me back on a short rope at about 70mph, that was exciting ! good job I hadn't run out of brakes !
Old 19 Jun 2019, 18:28 (Ref:3912940)   #22
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:

Which is the problem with races that have a wide disparity in car (and driver) performance. So why not allow overtaking as soon as green flags are shown?
The bloke "driving" the car in question was on a Sunday afternoon drive and I'm pretty sure I could have lapped him in my Transit tow wagon
Old 19 Jun 2019, 18:28 (Ref:3912941)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I remember more than once being on the Endurance pit wall and watching a flatbed go down the hill almost as quick as some cars circulating at the same time!

But we digress....
Old 19 Jun 2019, 18:37 (Ref:3912945)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rather a lot depends on the SC driver. The following field should be bunched up in the same positions they were before the deployment of the SC. Sometimes not so easy when the car at the back of the field is being way to slowly!!
One occasion at Snett we had this. Two laps to get track cleared and another spent trying to get the last car somewhere near the following field. Radioed in saying it was pointless. So lights out and come in. 😂😂
Old 19 Jun 2019, 19:02 (Ref:3912957)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Hi Terence! Do you know why this rule was adopted, Snet' or other track?