Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Jan 2001, 12:49 (Ref:57832)   #1
PBR
Rookie

PBR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of changing their workshop over to run Fords, engineering and building a competitive V8 supercar before the Australian Grand Prix.

I personally think that even though they probably started work before the announcement that it won’t be easy.

What does every one else think!!
Old 10 Jan 2001, 13:03 (Ref:57835)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
it wont be easy and i dont expect them to win a single race this year..but possibly next year they may in contention for podiums..but there is no way this year...but you never know...carnt wait for the GP to see how all of this comes together..but look at the facts.

Lowndes..probably the best driver in the country ...ok top 5 at least.
Gibson..again one of the best team managers around in all motorsport not just V8's
and Ford AU..definately on the way up..strong performances at the end of 2000 ..and most teams will take that into this year and try to grow on it.

I think in time this combo will be successfull ...but they may have to wait for a year or maybe 2 for victory...case in point CAT racing...good team ..good driver..just not enough experience in the big league..but their time will come to.
Old 10 Jan 2001, 13:35 (Ref:57839)   #3
PBR
Rookie

PBR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you that Gibson knows how to bolt a good car together and that Craig can drive (although I admit to not being a fan).

Just thought that Ford might expect at least a small result as they obviosly have some money in this deal too.
Old 10 Jan 2001, 21:41 (Ref:57914)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marcus

My thoughts on the combination of Gibsonand Lowndes in a Ford echo yours.

Of interest to me was that Fred didn't go for Skaife. My reason for this is their previous successful partnership and the goodwill / friendship between the two of them.
Old 11 Jan 2001, 04:49 (Ref:57962)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The car is being built by the Stone Brothers, and they know how to bolt Fords together better than anyone else in the business.

Don't forget CAT racing had everything against them in their first year, but while still based in WA (with a totally inexperienced team), they built a car, got a pole, and won a race....Considering Gibson has too many staff, has the best driver, a good car, they should be right on the money...but as always, 1 car will be a limiting factor.
Old 11 Jan 2001, 11:23 (Ref:57989)   #6
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like Crash test said, the Stone boys do know how to bolt a mean Falcon together.

But I still dont expect to see any decent results before, lets say , Canberra
Old 11 Jan 2001, 12:37 (Ref:57992)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
my memory is fading

Crash test..you say CAT racing have one a race..I carnt remember that ..can you refresh my memory ???

oh dear god ..i must be losing my mind if i carnt remember a new team wining a race
Old 12 Jan 2001, 09:46 (Ref:58126)   #8
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A Stone Brothers car.

No higher accolade is needed.

I expect Bowe to be more consistent this year as well.

Old 12 Jan 2001, 09:57 (Ref:58127)   #9
montoya
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leeds, Yorkshire
montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CAT's win

Marcus CAT racing won a race in Queensland, at the Ipswitch raceway. It was race 3 in 1999. He was actually Black flagged, but then won the appeal, giving him the race win.
Old 12 Jan 2001, 09:59 (Ref:58128)   #10
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will take a bit of time for the team and lowndes to learn the car and how to set it up, but i dont think it will take them long.
I say probably by the fourth or fifth round they will have it sorted and lowndes will be right up there.
The biggest problem will be the media and holden fans. The media will be expecting the car to win first time out just because of the driver and the holden fans will be bagging fords even more when the car doesnt winn right from the start.
Old 12 Jan 2001, 11:41 (Ref:58138)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Mount,

Not to fear. Holden fans have been many in number and few in intelligence since The Great Man was behind the wheel.

I think Craig has such a following that some fans will swap brands. Someone I know followed The Great Man to Mazda and back...