Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Jul 2009, 10:39 (Ref:2508990)   #51
dcr44S
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
dcr44S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
eNews speculating that 888 are going to the dark side from 2010!
Old 27 Jul 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2508999)   #52
petebendon
Rookie

petebendon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have a mate who nows someone there and he said ford were on the phone to t8 TODAY........true!
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:01 (Ref:2509005)   #53
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr44S View Post
eNews speculating that 888 are going to the dark side from 2010!
It seems to be more than speculation, but what doesnt make sense immediately is speculation that PMM is allegedly to become a Holden customer team of 888 next year
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:01 (Ref:2509006)   #54
dcr44S
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
dcr44S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by petebendon View Post
i have a mate who nows someone there and he said ford were on the phone to t8 TODAY........true!
I'd well believe it, FPR and SBR have had pretty ordinary years by anyone's standards.

Ford need to have a top team in 888 and they need to swallow their pride and get them back on board.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2509026)   #55
another insider
Rookie

another insider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We may very well see 888 Engineering build Commodores but don't expect Craig Lowndes to be piloting one of them.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2509041)   #56
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why not?
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2509048)   #57
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm a Holden fan i would love arguably the best team in V8's atm and i'd love CL back in the fold but i don't want a series heavily numbered in one manufactuer's favour. it's on the limit now. if they could get another 2 car or 2 1 car teams to take their spot in the Ford fold using the current TV chassis or their own then yeah great but atm in the words of Gus Gould no no no no no!
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:32 (Ref:2509052)   #58
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
If T8 go to the dark side that would make a grid of 20 commodores and 9 Falcons (by my count)......a bit lop-sided don't you think?
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2509097)   #59
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The article suggests that 888 would continue with its existing Ford customer deals, although can't see either manufacturer being overly happy about it.

Back in 1993 Larry Perkins had an enquiry from a prospective customer about him building a Falcon, but Ford jumped in and would not sanction the building of a car by the Holden man. I am guessing the prospective customer may have been Allan Moffat.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2509117)   #60
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
The article suggests that 888 would continue with its existing Ford customer deals, although can't see either manufacturer being overly happy about it.

Back in 1993 Larry Perkins had an enquiry from a prospective customer about him building a Falcon, but Ford jumped in and would not sanction the building of a car by the Holden man. I am guessing the prospective customer may have been Allan Moffat.
Actually the prospective customer was Kevin 'Gunsmoke' Waldock.. who built his own cars in the end.. and it was LP's allegiance to Holden that scuppered the deal, not a lack of finance or inclination
Old 27 Jul 2009, 14:31 (Ref:2509246)   #61
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Actually the prospective customer was Kevin 'Gunsmoke' Waldock.. who built his own cars in the end.. and it was LP's allegiance to Holden that scuppered the deal, not a lack of finance or inclination
Times have changed though, Holden cut Larry lose, and he's effectively out of the sport. T8 clearly have no respect for Ford. Apart from the obvious factory backed teams, anything could happen these days.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2509440)   #62
petebendon
Rookie

petebendon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
Times have changed though, Holden cut Larry lose, and he's effectively out of the sport. T8 clearly have no respect for Ford. Apart from the obvious factory backed teams, anything could happen these days.
did uncle jack cut larry coz of holden to?? wispers say hes a best mate of mr dane so maybe something happening here?
Old 27 Jul 2009, 23:40 (Ref:2509581)   #63
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
888 Will recieve Ford Dollars Next Year, They have already confirmed on their Website that their FG Falcon Ride Car will be up and running for the 2010 Season.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 23:59 (Ref:2509586)   #64
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Annoouncement to be made Wednesday morning of switch to Holden
Old 28 Jul 2009, 00:14 (Ref:2509591)   #65
Prickly_Goo
Veteran

Australia
somewhere you arent...
Prickly_Goo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was listening to Steve Price on 2UE this morning and he said that it was leaked that 888 were def going Holden next year.

I dont think it's true. would Vodafone like their sponsorship on a Holden?
Old 28 Jul 2009, 00:32 (Ref:2509598)   #66
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see why Vodafone would really care if it's a Holden or a Ford. So long as they get seen why would it matter what kind of canvas it's painted on?
Old 28 Jul 2009, 00:47 (Ref:2509607)   #67
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
If you think about it, the Ford teams will be in raptures. 888 goes to Holden, and they can get a parity adjustment..
Old 28 Jul 2009, 00:55 (Ref:2509611)   #68
ADZ351
Rookie

ADZ351 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont imagine the Claytons boys are very happy with the switch.
One has to guess their slice of the ever shrinking Holden marketing pie would have to be sliced again to feed the new team, which im sure doesnt come cheap.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 01:03 (Ref:2509614)   #69
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If any of this actually happens (888 to Holden), I wonder about a couple of things.
  • Was the sponsorship extension from Vodafone made easier by the fact that the team will be a "red" team?
  • Did the two drivers for 888 sign on for a further 3 years knowing about the change to Holden? Could it have been seen as an incentive for Mr Whincup to conquer another challenge?
  • Will a current Holden team bugger off, if Holden factory money is being moved elsewhere? I'm thinking the HSV team...
  • Will Ford gain a new presence? Will someone like Mr Seton and Mr Marshall do something in QLD?
  • What happens to customers like DJR and PCR?
  • If 888 do this, then they will be building a VF (even if it is only a facelift change, it's still a new model...)

Selling FG chassis would be easy for 888...as would be ride cars.

If this does happen, I wonder how HRT will feel? Maybe they will see this as an opportunity to pull their socks up.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 01:06 (Ref:2509615)   #70
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADZ351 View Post
I dont imagine the Claytons boys are very happy with the switch.
One has to guess their slice of the ever shrinking Holden marketing pie would have to be sliced again to feed the new team, which im sure doesnt come cheap.
I was almost teary for a nanosecond

MeN confirms that HRT's contract is continuing, however does not seem to think that the other WP/HMS activities will continue (i.e. support for the 3rd & 4th WP cars, for the big engine shop etc..)

I would think the other Holden teams should be concerned... BJR, PMM etc... it might not be looking so good for them

Could these guys switch to Ford?
Old 28 Jul 2009, 01:06 (Ref:2509616)   #71
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FG RIDE CAR FOR 2010 Seems Like Business As Ususal

http://www.teamvodafone.com/news.php?newsid=307&g=1
Old 28 Jul 2009, 01:37 (Ref:2509624)   #72
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I seem to remember Larry building a Ford for tony Longhurst.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 01:52 (Ref:2509629)   #73
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
I seem to remember Larry building a Ford for tony Longhurst.
Never... it was a Castrol-supported Falcon, but never built by Perkins (Wasnt Mr Bellamy on board for that?). The VPs run in B&H and Diet Coke colours were Perkins-sourced
Old 28 Jul 2009, 02:49 (Ref:2509636)   #74
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd suggest if 888 are going to build a few holden chassis then this may position themselves well for building a Car of the Future. Would make sound business sense to be the sole supplier to the series of chassis if the category moves this way.

Also, dont the WP aligned teams get hand me downs? Perhaps 888 have a chance of building a better holden than Sprint Gas have achived too.

If I were BJR I would be looking for a new car rather than someones old grampa's axe.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 03:40 (Ref:2509644)   #75
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Bit of a worry this, the category will be more of an upmarket "Commodore Cup", will discourage a lot of blue fans.