Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Aug 2009, 06:24 (Ref:2530846)   #26
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil View Post
This is a very tired old line that is rolled out by QR'S owner every time a contract is due. With JT making so much money from all the other track bookings (ala Eastern Creek's claim) why are they so keen to keep a round of Supercars???
Mainly because it is good PR (good for a circuits brand) to host a round of the Australian Touring Car Championship. It has flow on effects after the event.

Ask those at Australian circuits who work with V8SA during championship rounds, they are a pain in backside however it is one of those things that have to be done for now.

Without Government monetary injections, there is no guarantee of making money on a v8 race and thats exactly why V8SA chase government money at every chance.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 22:34 (Ref:2531541)   #27
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PR, Brand and Flow on effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Mainly because it is good PR (good for a circuits brand) to host a round of the Australian Touring Car Championship. It has flow on effects after the event.
Good P.R??? Circuit brand?? To have a round of a championship that you/they despise and spend most of your time bagging on public forums...For the ARDC's sake it would be hoped you don’t run the PR department.

Quote:
Ask those at Australian circuits who work with V8SA during championship rounds, they are a pain in backside however it is one of those things that have to be done for now.
Apparently though not enough of a pain for them to tell V8SA to; “stick their circus where the sun does not shine”. Is that because of the PR/Brand stuff or is it... gee, I don’t know...THE CASH! (I put the rolly eyes thing in because I know you and a couple of you mates love it)

Quote:
Without Government monetary injections, there is no guarantee of making money on a v8 race and thats exactly why V8SA chase government money at every chance.
Multiple long term deals for events, Television rights, excellent corporate image, AAA credit rating, continual development and expansion into new markets, an understanding of what the majority want see and a total event management, marketing and promotion focus. This is why it’s successful and makes money, not sad little hand out requests for 100 million dollars to fix a lemon.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 00:02 (Ref:2531586)   #28
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Good P.R??? Circuit brand?? To have a round of a championship that you/they despise and spend most of your time bagging on public forums...For the ARDC's sake it would be hoped you don’t run the PR department.

Apparently though not enough of a pain for them to tell V8SA to; “stick their circus where the sun does not shine”. Is that because of the PR/Brand stuff or is it... gee, I don’t know...THE CASH! (I put the rolly eyes thing in because I know you and a couple of you mates love it)

Multiple long term deals for events, Television rights, excellent corporate image, AAA credit rating, continual development and expansion into new markets, an understanding of what the majority want see and a total event management, marketing and promotion focus. This is why it’s successful and makes money, not sad little hand out requests for 100 million dollars to fix a lemon.
Basil: I wish that could have been true. I really do. I'd be financial a lot better off if you were right.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 00:04 (Ref:2531588)   #29
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A predictable post that shows little to no understanding of what it is to be an independant racing circuit in Australia at the moment.

To think that V8 events as cash cows for these circuits naive and largely out of touch, which to be honest represents the position of the current V8 hierachy.

Cry ARDC connection all you want Baz, I am more than happy dispell that for you. My suggestion would be to get down to your local circuit (not street circuit) and see how the real world operates.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 00:53 (Ref:2531621)   #30
bazil
Veteran

Blah Blah

Quote:
A predictable post that shows little to no understanding of what it is to be an independant racing circuit in Australia at the moment.

To think that V8 events as cash cows for these circuits naive and largely out of touch, which to be honest represents the position of the current V8 hierachy.

Cry ARDC connection all you want Baz, I am more than happy dispell that for you. My suggestion would be to get down to your local circuit (not street circuit) and see how the real world operates.
Predictable because you can only serve reality one way, something you clearly have trouble digesting.

If I am so wrong why is it that your mob at The Creek would instantly put their hand up for a round if available?? Winton is the same and as for QR, it is common industry knowledge that old mate JT wants the Supercars and pulls the "we don’t need them" crap every time he is up for contract, and miraculously at the last minute signs...

Negativity breeds negativity as you would know as you wallow in it.

I have a very healthy and in many instances direct understanding of independent racing circuits all over the country (frequented dozens of them in various capacities from competitor to commercial association, employment as well as spectator) and not just road racing facilities, unlike your singular track (blinkered) focus. They all face their challenges and issues but are business, each and every one of them. In business it is never smart to bag the opposition or those who lead the industry as it closes doors.

While ever the voice of Eastern Creek is in tune with the grey dribble you love to regurgitate, the door will stay bolted shut.

P.S Out of curiosity, when was the last time you went to Carrick Speedway, The Motorplex or Morgan park??? What’s that... never. I thought so.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 02:47 (Ref:2531649)   #31
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Absolutely spot on D.R.T. - well done
Old 31 Aug 2009, 03:48 (Ref:2531658)   #32
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Apparently though not enough of a pain for them to tell V8SA to; “stick their circus where the sun does not shine”. Is that because of the PR/Brand stuff or is it... gee, I don’t know...THE CASH!
In terms of the ARDC, while the V8 event itself probably ain't a cash cow, having a round of the series would likely boost ARDC yearly memberships etc... having flow on effects in that area.

With the crowds that were showing up, i can't have seen the V8 round at Eastern Creek making alot of the 'CASH' your talking about.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 06:13 (Ref:2531690)   #33
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know of at least one person who tried to buy QR a couple of years ago and the asking price went from $2mil to $5mil+ in a very short space of time
If QR was only $5 Mill you should have given me a call.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2531724)   #34
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem for the permanent circuits is they need to make money from high profile events to help make a proper return on investment.
The V8 supertaxis have followed Bernies lead in skewering governments( state and local) to fork out ridiculous amounts for sanctioning rights that makes it impossible for a permanent circuit to compete for an event.
The follow thru is that the rest of motorsport gets what out of this-certainly not upgraded facilities at the permanent circuits as circuit owners adopt a user pays system to balance the budget.
None of this is exactly an incentive for any investor in a new circuit which would benefit the whole motorsport community.
What I can never understand is how TC can extract so much money to make ridiculous profits and use an entirely unpaid amateur work force that does all the work on the ground.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2531729)   #35
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
The problem for the permanent circuits is they need to make money from high profile events to help make a proper return on investment.
The V8 supertaxis have followed Bernies lead in skewering governments( state and local) to fork out ridiculous amounts for sanctioning rights that makes it impossible for a permanent circuit to compete for an event.
The follow thru is that the rest of motorsport gets what out of this-certainly not upgraded facilities at the permanent circuits as circuit owners adopt a user pays system to balance the budget.
None of this is exactly an incentive for any investor in a new circuit which would benefit the whole motorsport community.
What I can never understand is how TC can extract so much money to make ridiculous profits and use an entirely unpaid amateur work force that does all the work on the ground.
linky

Quote:
Queensland Raceway is used 349 days a year for various motorsport and corporate events, and Tetley confirmed they did not need the profit returns of the V8 Supercars event to continue to operate profitably.

"From 2000 to 2002, V8s were the bread and butter of this venue, but now it is not."

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 31 Aug 2009, 11:09 (Ref:2531776)   #36
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ronke View Post
If QR was only $5 Mill you should have given me a call.
Well, that is what the asking price to at least two different parties was about 2 and a half years ago. Like Basil said, it was a bit of a moving target though.

Both parties ended up putting it in the "too hard" basket due to the constant movement on the deal.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 04:50 (Ref:2539386)   #37
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an update on the 7 News tonight about the Paperclips facility's...

edit...just updating to add that 7 are saying the clip is losing it's race.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 13 Sep 2009, 06:43 (Ref:2539408)   #38
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Supercar is abandoning Brisbane? Countries third largest city?
Old 13 Sep 2009, 07:07 (Ref:2539412)   #39
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
V8 Supercar is abandoning Brisbane? Countries third largest city?
... 7 just ran their third headline about this today...

...Ipswich to lose major sporting event...

Old 13 Sep 2009, 08:04 (Ref:2539428)   #40
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 2010 calender released at PI today seemed to indicate Ipswich will be occurring!
Old 13 Sep 2009, 08:07 (Ref:2539431)   #41
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Tony C said the Clip is provisional on them upgrading the facility's...

John Tetley replied he is a one man show and cannot afford $5millon.

Old 13 Sep 2009, 08:27 (Ref:2539438)   #42
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair enough, on both parts.

Maybe he should buy the Oran Park pit lane buildings?

Wouldn't have to be a genius to work that one out. Perich probably wants $5 Mil for it and Tetley is probably happy to part with $5
Old 13 Sep 2009, 11:48 (Ref:2539554)   #43
bazil
Veteran

Round she comes

Is Karma spelt J.T...
Old 13 Sep 2009, 23:46 (Ref:2540085)   #44
motorfoto
Rookie

motorfoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So exactly what is the "facilities upgrade" that VESA are demanding ?.

If it's just the removal of the bumps, well that can't cost $5M.

Do they want flash corporate facilities ?, fancy toilets for the punters ?, four-lane highway to the front gate ?, maybe a hill in the middle of the track (already designed) ?.

Remember that JT does not own the venue, he is just the leaseholder, so any "improvements" would have to be in his interests as well as VESA, without being seen to be dipping into public funds to make a private profit.

VESA and JT seem to be united on the push to secure some public funding to help "motorsport" at Willowbank. Not so long ago they seemed to have nothing nice to say about each other.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 23:53 (Ref:2540089)   #45
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
is it possible they want pit facility improvements as well?
Old 14 Sep 2009, 02:34 (Ref:2540142)   #46
D.R.T.
Veteran

Is it necessary?

I mean apart for a vanity project of V8SA? Is the current pit hurting the event or participants?
Old 14 Sep 2009, 03:14 (Ref:2540156)   #47
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TC and QR
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Sep 2009, 03:23 (Ref:2540160)   #48
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cochrane
“We've engaged with the Queensland government and Ipswich City Council to make sure we can keep the Queensland 300 on the calendar.”
So the QLD Government tips in for Indy/SuperGP, tips in for Townsville, now its expected to tip in again??
Old 14 Sep 2009, 04:56 (Ref:2540177)   #49
motorfoto
Rookie

motorfoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And they tipped in for the Lakeside makeover too - via Qld Motorways (a wholly owned Government Company - well, at the moment anyways).
Old 14 Sep 2009, 05:23 (Ref:2540180)   #50
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
So the QLD Government tips in for Indy/SuperGP, tips in for Townsville, now its expected to tip in again??
Wasn't the Qld Governments support of the Townsville event under the proviso that V8SA committed to running at Qld Raceway?