Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 30 Jan 2019, 15:30 (Ref:3880689)   #26
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
This video gives me a bit more hope as the car seems to be actually reacting to the ruts and bumps. There are still places that are too smooth though.
Stage deformation is included this time, so the stage will be rougher based on running order.

Still waiting for a full car list, no sign of any returning WRCars, but the R5 class has been expanded to six cars.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 17:39 (Ref:3880714)   #27
NSX_LeMans
Racer

NSX_LeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really enjoying watching those videos. Last Dirt game I played was Dirt3, so everything feels like a huge improvement, except the codriver who doesn't seems to react to how you're driving like they used to.
Those stages looks fantastic! I just hope the rallies aren't too short.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 11:49 (Ref:3880859)   #28
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will wait and see with Dirt Rally 2, I did not go for Dirt 4 as I knew it was arcade rot, but so far what I have seen of DR2 looks OK, am just hoping the physics are as good as DR, which is still for me, the best sim I have played on PC.

I think there are things they have done right, the new stages, but why not keep the old ones and make it huge? Rights maybe?

For me ditch WRX, it is a dead series, and serves no purpose other than to make a rally sim easier to sell to console players as they can race online. DR rallycross was appalling, although I gather in Dirt 4 it was OK, understandably as IMG probably pumped tons into the development budget maybe
Old 31 Jan 2019, 12:12 (Ref:3880865)   #29
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Will wait and see with Dirt Rally 2, I did not go for Dirt 4 as I knew it was arcade rot, but so far what I have seen of DR2 looks OK, am just hoping the physics are as good as DR, which is still for me, the best sim I have played on PC.
In my personal opinion Dirt 4 wasn't without merit. The airborne physics in DR were the biggest flaw in that game (in my personal opinion) and that was fixed in D4.

The rallycross Supercars were massively improved in D4 and most of the 4WD cars were OK. The RWD cars weren't great though and, as discussed earlier in this thread, "Your Stage" routes just weren't as detailed as those in DR.

Quote:
I think there are things they have done right, the new stages, but why not keep the old ones and make it huge? Rights maybe?
I suspect an old location (or two) may appear as DLC further down the line. As I understand it all the old environments would require reworking and I guess they have opted for new locations so as not be accused of rehashing old content.

Quote:
understandably as IMG probably pumped tons into the development budget maybe
That isn't what I heard, but maybe there was more to it. I know that CM got a lot of info from Cooper about the tyre, which is why there was so much improvement in D4.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 12:43 (Ref:3880872)   #30
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumour has it that the WRC are tightening up on licencing, preventing any game using WRC stages or rallies. If so that's the end of sim racing on real WRC events (at least in the way that Dirt Rally and SLRE used WRC events).

I would like to see the next iteration of DR have an actual stage editor so that fans can use GPS data to produce their own tracks. Microsoft Train Simulator has something like this twenty years ago... That would remove a lot of problems around licensing. The only think comparable is the very old Bob's Track Builder for Richard Burns.

For me SLRE is still the best 'current-gen' rally sim - not perfect but here you have real stages and realistic modern cars. Even the modern 2wd cars feel very good (the only rally cars I've had meaningful experience of outside a rally school). They also got other things right, like proper roadside TV coverage in replays - something that everyone keeps asking for in the Dirt Series but which is never provided.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 12:51 (Ref:3880873)   #31
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
DR rallycross was appalling, although I gather in Dirt 4 it was OK, understandably as IMG probably pumped tons into the development budget maybe
Yes, rallycross in D4 was by far the best feature of the game (which may not be saying much, but I did enjoy it).

My own view is that they should have done a SuperMod class where you could modify and rebuild a production car, put in upgraded engines, transmission, suspension etc. That would have added to the creative aspects of the game - anyone for a Chris Evans' Micra?
Old 31 Jan 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3880895)   #32
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Kylotonn has annoucned WRC 8 for September 2019.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 14:52 (Ref:3880901)   #33
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would also think the licensing is due to Milestone producing a garbage WRC game just about every year just like Codies do with f1, its probably contractual, I personally don't see why Codies can not do something, but I guess legal would have something to say.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 17:14 (Ref:3880931)   #34
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
Quote:
I would also think the licensing is due to Milestone producing a garbage WRC game just about every year just like Codies do with f1, its probably contractual, I personally don't see why Codies can not do something, but I guess legal would have something to say.
Yes I don't understand how anyone including the WRC can copyright or licence the likeness of public roads but I guess Codies need the FIA on side due to the lucrative F1 licence. I suppose the WRC class is covered by a licence- hence no current gen world rally cars.

Perhaps someone should just do a really good group B sim with proper physics instead - a sort of GPL for rally fans. The Group Bs in current sims aren't great and don't capture the quirks of individual models. I would prefer that to the current crop of cars anyday.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 18:02 (Ref:3880943)   #35
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Codies i am sure do not ahve a WRC licence, that is already used by someone else, hence the issues with using stages from existing events.

If you were Milestone even though you routinely produce rot, you would not want someone else being able to use the titling, cars and countries you had purchased.

Codies will never make this a yearly thing, it is cyclical, DR was a taster, the cars in the notes are the same juts about, with a few extras. Most of the old cars from DR are still there
Old 1 Feb 2019, 17:31 (Ref:3881171)   #36
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Milestone last made an official WRC game in 2013. Since 2015, WRC games are made by Kylotonn.
Old 2 Feb 2019, 10:41 (Ref:3881296)   #37
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Oh ok, I did not know that. I think the Loeb game was done my Milestone yes?
Old 2 Feb 2019, 11:35 (Ref:3881305)   #38
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Oh ok, I did not know that. I think the Loeb game was done my Milestone yes?
Yep, that was a Milestone game.

I have been tempted to buy WRC7 a few times as I have been told it is an improvement on the previous games. With DR2 out in less than a month though I'll probably just hang on for that now.
Old 2 Feb 2019, 15:03 (Ref:3881342)   #39
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Agreed

The only bit I could do without is the rallycross segment, not because of any hatred I have of WRX, but because I would rather have some more stages and cars for the real stuff rather than a thing that is there to appease IMG's marketing team and to make online play possible.

but you can't have everything.

Not tried the newer WRC games, but they don't get good reviews
Old 2 Feb 2019, 19:13 (Ref:3881388)   #40
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Agreed

The only bit I could do without is the rallycross segment, not because of any hatred I have of WRX, but because I would rather have some more stages and cars for the real stuff rather than a thing that is there to appease IMG's marketing team and to make online play possible.

but you can't have everything.

Not tried the newer WRC games, but they don't get good reviews
Rallycross is somewhat of a distraction. Even if I enjoyed playing it in DR and D4, I still get the sensation that their games could be better as a whole if it just had a focus on rallying.

I have seen people and reviews suggesting that WRC 7 is a better rallying game compared to D4. They seem to have gone in a new direction with that game.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 10:04 (Ref:3881841)   #41
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
WRC7 is a strange one - the R5s handle really convincingly and sim-like. Sadly, the modern WRCs are very arcadey. It is also let down by poor framerates, poor replays and not enough stages on individual rallies. Its another case of an unfinished product being put out.
Old 7 Feb 2019, 17:06 (Ref:3882453)   #42
NSX_LeMans
Racer

NSX_LeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car list is out already, didn't know that. No WRC/RC1 cars, wasn't expecting it.

http://blog.codemasters.com/communit...-car-list-dr2/
Old 7 Feb 2019, 17:53 (Ref:3882469)   #43
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX_LeMans View Post
Car list is out already, didn't know that. No WRC/RC1 cars, wasn't expecting it.

http://blog.codemasters.com/communit...-car-list-dr2/
Notable that Group B RWD, F2 and Group B rallycross cars are all missing (all three classes were in Dirt 4).

I suspect that the Group B RWD cars (now including the 911 SC RS) will form part of the first DLC and the Group B rallycross cars have been pretty much confirmed for the second DLC. I hope the Group B RX cars are better implemented this time.
Old 7 Feb 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3882471)   #44
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Ascona 400 is sort of GpB

The WRC cars missing would be about licencing issues
Old 12 Feb 2019, 21:17 (Ref:3883636)   #45
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
First season of DLC revealed:

Looks like two Group B RWD cars and four (unofficial) WRCars, plus three revised DR1 locations.

Looking forward to trying the R5's at Monte Carlo and Germany.
Old 13 Feb 2019, 00:05 (Ref:3883663)   #46
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Are these all little costed DLC or freebies
Old 13 Feb 2019, 00:09 (Ref:3883664)   #47
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Are these all little costed DLC or freebies
If you buy the deluxe edition of the game (about £65), those are all free. Season 2 DLC should contain a similar number of cars and tracks and those are included in the deluxe edition as well.

I believe they will all be available separately if you just buy the regular edition of the game.
Old 13 Feb 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3883733)   #48
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
If you buy the deluxe edition of the game (about £65), those are all free. Season 2 DLC should contain a similar number of cars and tracks and those are included in the deluxe edition as well.

I believe they will all be available separately if you just buy the regular edition of the game.
This is what many companies do within gaming and it really frustrates me. They release a game, sometimes with little content, and if you want more content you need to buy a season pass, a special edition like this one, or DLCs.
Old 13 Feb 2019, 09:33 (Ref:3883739)   #49
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
This is what many companies do within gaming and it really frustrates me. They release a game, sometimes with little content, and if you want more content you need to buy a season pass, a special edition like this one, or DLCs.
Yeah, annoying isn't it? I do think it's a bit of a double edged sword for game companies now. I know Codemasters got a lot of grief after Dirt 4 came out for not releasing any additional content once the game had hit the shelves, but if they do something like this then they are accused of ripping people off!

The "basic" game has more content than either Dirt Rally 1 or Dirt 4 at release, so at least they don't seem to be holding massive chunks of it back.
Old 13 Feb 2019, 11:02 (Ref:3883766)   #50
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Its only annoying if you all buy it, if you don't, they sill stop doing it, simple really.

Most of the content is from DR, which is pathetic really. Just offloading old stuff onto fans paying a premium, just like most games like this.