Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Feb 2007, 15:32 (Ref:1843212)   #1
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow... finally a potentially a beautiful DP

go to http://www.italiaspeed.com/ and click on the Picchio link...

Ciao,

pit
Old 16 Feb 2007, 15:38 (Ref:1843220)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dont know if id call that beautiful exactly but it certainly is better than most of the other DP's I have seen.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 15:41 (Ref:1843222)   #3
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, everything in perspective of course ;-) it does raise the interesting question as to what other styles we might see on these chassis. DP's could be turning into "GTP", when you think of the literal meaning of the term!

pit
Old 16 Feb 2007, 15:45 (Ref:1843226)   #4
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are there any 'real' pictures of it? I can just find artist's impressions, which could hide a multitude of sins?
Old 16 Feb 2007, 15:47 (Ref:1843227)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Picchio had previously submitted upgrades to their approved chassis, and were rejected. We shall see if their new upgrades are more within what Grand Am are looking for/meet the rules/guidelines.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 16:10 (Ref:1843243)   #6
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
that will never fly with grandam, too much like a real car and might actually be faster than a riley. couldnt have that happening. but def would be the best looking car in the field, but are there any openings for new chassis? thought the field was sealed for new entries and would have to buy a current chassis and even then mods would be regulated
Old 16 Feb 2007, 16:15 (Ref:1843248)   #7
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
One has to give them credit for trying to work the rules.
Not likely to succeed, but a good try.
It looks like a big brother to the old Dino P266

If it flys, it will be the best looking P car around.

Bob
Old 16 Feb 2007, 17:10 (Ref:1843283)   #8
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For 2008 every constructor gets to totally redesign (within the existing rules) their DP bodywork. Also introduced for next year is "engine-specific" bodywork, which allows each approved engine manufacturer to pair up with one DP constructor and produce unique bodywork for that engine/chassis combination. That's what the Picchio/Alfa concept is taking advantage of, and it would then be officially known as just the Alfa Romeo DP.

My concern with the "engine-specific" bodywork is that the auto manus will do a half-arsed job designing the bodywork, going for cosmetics over speed, and the cars will toodle around at the back for a year or two before funding is pulled.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 17:38 (Ref:1843304)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Grand Am insists on performance balancing, allowing manufactuers to put cosmetics over speed could be the way to go.

The DP regs give the freedom to produce a very nice GT like design, think '96 911 GT1 or Nissan R390 GT1, but if you intend to design the most efficient car, you'll end up with a slab sided wedge like the Riley.

I'd prefer to lose 10-15% aero efficiency in return for a classic GT1 look. I doubt speeds would drop with developments in other areas.

While GA are at it, give them another 50bhp and a larger rear wing.

I'd watch 'em.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 17:39 (Ref:1843306)   #10
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just hope the 2010 LMP1 regs don't look like this, cockpit is still far too big although the rear of the car looks more tidy than the LMP's stupid rear diffuser sidepod things.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 17:58 (Ref:1843317)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 2010 coupes are being introduced purely for cosmetic/marketing reasons, i.e. a bigger wow factor, think radical Maserati MC12/Mercedes CLR.

DP's suffer because they aren't allowed shrink wrap bodywork, which combined with small wheels and a cockpit that wouldn't be out of place on a BTCC car, gives the impression of a wedge of cheese!
Old 16 Feb 2007, 18:31 (Ref:1843333)   #12
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its interesting that Grand-Am will change for 2008 to attract more manufacturers, only 2 years before LMP1 changes towards the same concept. The drawings we've seen so far from the 2 set of regs, you cant really tell them apart. I cant stop thinking wich one will be most successful, maybe we will end up like in the 80s, with GroupC and IMSA GTP, 2 series with almost the same set of regulations and with slightly different cars, but different race format and equalizers and run in a complealty different way.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 19:12 (Ref:1843362)   #13
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
Its interesting that Grand-Am will change for 2008 to attract more manufacturers, only 2 years before LMP1 changes towards the same concept. The drawings we've seen so far from the 2 set of regs, you cant really tell them apart. I cant stop thinking wich one will be most successful, maybe we will end up like in the 80s, with GroupC and IMSA GTP, 2 series with almost the same set of regulations and with slightly different cars, but different race format and equalizers and run in a complealty different way.
Unless GARRA caves, or the IMSA caves in, that is impossible, the cars are separated by over 100 hp.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 19:16 (Ref:1843363)   #14
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who cares what it looks like as long as it is bloody fast.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 19:36 (Ref:1843372)   #15
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
You can't argue with that. If the performace makes one go "oooh, aaaaah" the rest will fall in place.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 21:04 (Ref:1843404)   #16
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all i ask is for decently good looks, very loud nice noises, and a ton of speed and you have a happy chappy here .

imho i think it looks awful, it looks to fiddly and well just wrong.

the standard 8C is one of the most beautiful cars ever made in my eyes.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 22:34 (Ref:1843448)   #17
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I care, we need to be entertained with our eyes as well as our ears.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 13:22 (Ref:1843696)   #18
Koulle
Racer

United Kingdom
Koulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It doesn't look bad to me, though it looks like it could be passed off as a GT car.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 03:01 (Ref:1844105)   #19
Jeffrey-Lee
Racer

Jeffrey-Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still looks like a disfunctional racecar design to me. But this is a decent looking thing as far as DP's are concerned, must say.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 09:50 (Ref:1844197)   #20
class4v
Racer

class4v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, looks as Picchio is for sale or looking for a new investor.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 14:26 (Ref:1844357)   #21
EuropaBambaataa
Racer

Portugal
EuropaBambaataa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koulle
It doesn't look bad to me, though it looks like it could be passed off as a GT car.
Actually that doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. If the DPs adopt more GT-looking bodies, then we could have more engine manufacturers, and the GT regs could abandon Prep 2 in favour of a more international rules system. I think FIA GT3 would mesh well with the GARRA concept, and stuff like the V8-powered Infiniti G35 and tri-rotor Mazda RX-8 could become DPs.

I like electronic boom-boom-boom sounds. So what?
Old 18 Feb 2007, 15:07 (Ref:1844383)   #22
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The original idea behind DP was iirc a more Porsche 911 GT1 less GTP-look. The Fabcar was the first DP and looks rather GT-ish, wereas the 2nd generation cars like the Crwaford and the Riley managed to built (slightly?) GTP-ish cars, despite GAs intention!
Old 18 Feb 2007, 15:52 (Ref:1844399)   #23
Matra-simca
Rookie

United States
Durham, NC
Matra-simca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatra-simca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
I care, we need to be entertained with our eyes as well as our ears.
Well, when it comes to ears, DPs won't entertain you - no matter how good the Emperor's clothing. Porsche's engine aside, it's impossible to distinquish the exhaust notes among the Lexus, Ford, Pontiac and BMW V-8 brigade; for all intents and purposes it could be the same power plant. Of course one could say the same for F1's screaming V-8 meanies, but the DPs powerplants could have been drawn from any number of Saturday night dirt tracks in America. It's OK if you like that sort of sound, but from a sportscar perspective it's all, as Pete Brock once put it when describing IRLs for the first time, "very agricultural". After a steady diet of in-line 6s, screaming V-12s and air-cooled flat-sixes and deep-bassed rumbling V-8s, they're not fitting what a sporting vehicle should sound like. It took a couple of seasons but after numerous complaints, IRL suggested running flat-plane crankshafts, which made all the difference in the world. They now sound like thoro-bred racing machines rather than some sort of farm implement.

I've attended Daytona 24 Hours a gazillion times, and the problem with the DP muffled V-8s is they produce a resonate frequency that's rather irritating and tiresome, providing no aural relief. Get a group of them together it seems like one constant drone, especially coming on to the banking, very unpleasant. Installing 180 degree headers would certainly cure the problem, and they've got plenty of space to fit them too.

Todd
Old 18 Feb 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1844410)   #24
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by class4v
Well, looks as Picchio is for sale or looking for a new investor.
How many Picchio's have actully raced? Synergy Sports raced on in GA for the first few years.

Any in Europe or other places ?
Old 18 Feb 2007, 16:39 (Ref:1844429)   #25
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
certainly not a DP in Europe... but they have a "LMP3"(or whatever)-proto over here. some of those might be racing in the italian prototype championship, but maybe the Italians here on the board should comment on this. Weren't there 2 DPs in GA?
I remember a yellow car with black spots or was this the Synergy car?