Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 31 Oct 2010, 21:55 (Ref:2783143)   #1
DCC
Rookie

Turkey
Istanbul
DCC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Visiting Le Mans in winter

I'm planning a visit to Le Mans this winter (November, December or January) and I would like to learn about your recommendations on what to eat, where to see, what to do, etc. It'll most likely be a one day trip (or two days at most).

Any help is welcome
Old 1 Nov 2010, 15:58 (Ref:2783506)   #2
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
The most obvious thing is the Museum, next to the circuit main entrance.
Not expensive, and lots to see in there. Well worth a visit.
I visited 'off season' in August, and struggled to find anywhere open! Hopefully, people here can guide you better.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 16:26 (Ref:2783525)   #3
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
You must seen the Museum , the Old Town and the Cathedral .

But check before the open Days of the Museum .
http://www.planetware.com/le-mans/au...f-loi-masu.htm
Old 1 Nov 2010, 16:43 (Ref:2783530)   #4
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
If you have a car then take it for a drive from Tetre rouge to Arnage and get a feel to the sheer scale of the circuit.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2783581)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I certainly agree with what's been said so far (even though, in all honestly, I've never been to Le Mans out of season - except for the Classic in 02, but I guess that doesn't count....

Certainly the museum - I did that on the Tuesday prior to practice this year - one of those things you just have to do.. As is the drive around all of those parts of the circuit that are normally public roads for the rest of the year.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2783715)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I would agree that you must drive those parts of the circuit that our nornal roads during the rest of the year, you will fell just smooth the roads are and you will notice the quality of the ride, the museum is also well worth a visit.

If you get a chance visit the tourist information in the town near the cathederal and as you walk around you will see the brass plates set into the pacements with the hands and names of all the great drivers.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 21:24 (Ref:2783727)   #7
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, if you want to visit Le Mans in winter, not so much activity, because it's not a big town. Also, depends what you like to visit. If you come especially for the mechanical site, of course all is said: Museum, a visit inside the circuit and then drive on the public part of the circuit. But if you are a bit interested in history, you can visit the old town ( about 15th century and above ) : some places : http://www.lemanstourisme.com/dnn/me...3/Default.aspx and in the center as GT6 says, the drivers and their fingerprints : http://www.lemanstourisme.com/dnn/me...6/Default.aspx.
To eat, some restaurants in the old town , depends of what you look for.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 23:03 (Ref:2783788)   #8
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I forgot that bit. We took the time to 'do' a lap. Then I nearly got 'done' by a French m'cycle cop, for doing a U when aparently I shouldn't... I played dumb, and he shook his head, and all was OK. But driving down to Mulsanne has to be done.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 00:40 (Ref:2783837)   #9
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
But driving down to Mulsanne has to be done.
Just keep in mind that the chicanes aren't accessible -- so what you are seeing is "the old course". May I suggest you do not do it during morning or afternoon rush hours, lest you be held up by some old duffer in a 2CV en route to his seniors' card game at the Mulsanne community centre.
keke
Old 2 Nov 2010, 07:08 (Ref:2783888)   #10
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I went to Le Mans in late November or early December a few years back (the year Tertre Rouge was reprofiled, I posted a gallery of photos on here), and as Batmobile says, there's not a great deal going on at that time of year.

It really comes down to what has been recommended already: museum, old town (my Restaurant recommendation would be the Auberge des 7 Plats), cathedral. We found some decent bars scattered across the central part of the city, and some dodgy/quirky bars towards the station.

If you haven't been to the circuit before, make sure you go in and take a walk around. From the main entrance, a round trip to Tertre Rouge (turn left at the main entrance and keep walking, don't cross over the Dunlop Bridge) and back will take you about an hour or so. A tour of the pit straight will take rather less. But, whatever you do, you must go into the circuit and explore. You'll feel the magic as you walk around, even when it lies dormant. And, you'll have the place pretty much to yourselves.

I have also parked up in the area where the public road rejoins the permanent part of the circuit at the Porsche Curves enclosure and walked as far as the Ford Chicane and back (on the track itself). I suspect we weren't supposed to do this..........
Old 4 Nov 2010, 00:45 (Ref:2784696)   #11
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
I work on the principle that if they don't say you can't, you can!
Old 4 Nov 2010, 06:17 (Ref:2784760)   #12
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I work on the principle that if they don't say you can't, you can!
Even when there are metal railings across the road?
Old 12 Nov 2010, 20:37 (Ref:2789335)   #13
DCC
Rookie

Turkey
Istanbul
Guys, sorry for the very late reply. First thank you all for your advices. After the first message I dealt with the last minute works for the French visa and now I'm in France and I'm planning to stay here till February (That's why I couldn't write anything, I was quite busy).

For Le Mans, I'm planning to visit the permanent track and the museum. I also want to take a ride on the public roads if I can rent a car. (Hope there are places to rent cars in Le Mans or I'll be walking all the way...)

As for the town center I've noted your advices and I'll also examine the links above.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 14:00 (Ref:2803286)   #14
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.lemans.maville.com/actu/g...leriePhoto.Htm

Found this Winter Pics from the Area around Le Mans .
Old 12 Dec 2010, 16:50 (Ref:2803335)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hopefully not like that next June!
Old 12 Dec 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2803354)   #16
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it snows, please take pictures.

I've decided that I simply must have a snow-ball fight on the Mulsanne Straight before I die
Old 15 Jan 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2816209)   #17
DCC
Rookie

Turkey
Istanbul
Just came back from Le Mans. What an experience!

Seen Le Vieux Mans, ate "les rilettes", visited the museum, bought books and posters from the boutique and (guess what) DROVE THREE LAPS FROM TERTRE ROUGE TO ARNAGE (including one lap at night) OH MY GOD!!!

From Tertre Rouge to the roundabout between Playstation and Michelin chicanes the road is a bit crowded, but after that it's just you and Le Mans! Braking hard from +100 km/h when turning left into Indianapolis has to be done. What a feeling man!

Today I became a pilgrim!
Old 15 Jan 2011, 22:43 (Ref:2816216)   #18
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
Today I became a pilgrim!
So will you be visiting Le Mans in the summer?
Old 15 Jan 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2816218)   #19
DCC
Rookie

Turkey
Istanbul
I think I must...
Old 16 Jan 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2816417)   #20
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
Good to hear that you enjoy your Trip .
Old 16 Jan 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2816533)   #21
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
I think I must...
Old 17 Jan 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2816644)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think you may find the roads a little different during June, for some reason 100,000 plus brits decend on the place and they close some of the roads for a few cars to race around for 24 hours
Old 17 Jan 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2816651)   #23
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I think you may find the roads a little different during June, for some reason 100,000 plus brits decend on the place and they close some of the roads for a few cars to race around for 24 hours

....and not just for racing. Mulsanne to Arnage is now closed all day to all traffic for several days before the big event.

100,000? The best estimate I've ever read put us as "only" 60,000 strong.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 18:52 (Ref:2816940)   #24
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
me exagerate never in a million years

I am sure that in the bentley period a few years ago there were close to that number but I do like to round to the nearest 100k