Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 15 May 2000, 23:00 (Ref:14533)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm. Tricky one. First race meeting I was ever taken to, frankly I was too young to remember.

And there's me frowning at people who take toddlers to race meetings today. On mature reflection, it didn't do me any harm.

(twitch, gibber, twitch)

I would have been about 3 years. I am told that it was at Castle Combe, and that the race of the day was Cobras, Ferrari LMs and Jaguar E's. Drivers on the day included Ron Fry and Jack Sears. I am told that Denny Hulme was there too. That would make it about 1969/1970, I think.

The first one I can really remember is the first GP I was taken to, the British GP of 1973, the year Jody Scheckter spun in the pack, and eliminated a third of the field.

We were too far around Woodcote to see the incident, being closer to what is now Bridge corner, but I have a vivid memory of huge noise, then a sudden diminishing of engine notes, replaced with a repeated "whump, whomp," of collisions, and a plume of fine dust that rose in front of the grandstands on the start/finish line.
Old 16 May 2000, 10:06 (Ref:14531)   #2
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK folks new topic time. I want you to tell me the first GP or race meeting you ever attended at a circuit and what your most vivid memories are.

Being something of a newcomer my first event was the British GP of 1997.

Most vivid memory, is probably the same as anyone else, the first time you hear that noise.

It was sunday morning early practice, stood at Becketts half asleep then bang. An Arrows whizzed by and the rest is history I guess....

Next please...
Old 16 May 2000, 10:36 (Ref:14532)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well i think i attended dirt track meetings before circuit stuff...i remember football player Wally Lewis rolling one night at the Ekka grounds here in Brisbane....

My first circuit meeting would have been the ATCC race at Lakeside in 1988, but i vividly remember 1989, that was the year a production car or who went through the fence behind us, a formula ford rolled after the finish, and there was that most terrible accident in which a few cars burst into flames under the bridge...and Dick JOhnson won.

My first "GP" was the Gold Coast Cart race in 1993....that was fantastic...we were given free granstand seats in the best spot (it was removed the year after because everyone crashed into it...). Nige won on debut...twas very fantastic...
Old 16 May 2000, 12:05 (Ref:14534)   #4
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first racing meeting was on an August bank holiday, 1997, yup, you guessed it, Castle Combe
It was the first and only visit to date of the Boss formula at the track. They broke the outright lap record, and it was fantastic.
The first thing I remember about the day, was walking out of the Avon Tyre bridge, just as a spinning tyrell F1 car hit the bank in front of us, it was great
I have missed only three combe meetings since.
My first GP was this year, what do i remember most??......TRAFFIC JAMS
Old 16 May 2000, 12:25 (Ref:14535)   #5
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My first motorsport event I attended was a 1985 motorcycle race at Oran Park. I don't remember what the event was, but I do remember meeting Malcom Campbell, and seeing him and someone whose name always escapes me clashing coming out of the last corner right infront of where we were. It was a really good event, the noise, the atmosphere, and the accessability that really is not around anymore except at club level.

My first GP was 1992 Adelaide. An excellent meeting apart from the drunks in the general admission area. Always been grandstand since. Nothing beats the noise of an F1 car flying past within a couple of metres of you.
Old 16 May 2000, 12:31 (Ref:14536)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First race meeting would have a vintage one at Silverstone in the early eighties..

No GP's since 1988, Who needs the hassle....

Marshalling since 1993, and always had excellent fun!!!

Best meeting ever - Goodwood Revival 1998 (easily!!!)
Old 16 May 2000, 22:07 (Ref:14537)   #7
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My first race meeting was a Coys Historics weekend at Silverstone. I went with TimD, and have been to several since- always a great weekend. I've only been to a small number of 'contempory' races- my first visit to Le Mans was totally unforgetable- standing by the door of the Chinese resteraunt watching and listening to cars going past at unimaginable speeds only a few yards away during night qualifying- sheer magic!
Old 19 May 2000, 07:41 (Ref:14538)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The first race meeting I attended was the Australian Touring Car Championships at Lakeside in 1985. It was the first Group A touring car race ever held in Queensland and Jim Richards was totally dominant in the JPS BMW 635CSi.
The first GP I attended was at Melbourne in 1997. After watching all the support classes on Thursday and thinking, oh yeah they're quick.......Friday morning, the first time i ever saw a GP car in the flesh, a Tyrrell on it's out lap, blew them all away for sheer spectacle, the tremendous speed was visible and the noise was utterly incredible. TV ruins F1, you have to see them live.
Old 23 May 2000, 02:28 (Ref:14539)   #9
IAM
Rookie

IAM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really remember my first race meeting, I think it was a Scrambles or a Grass Track race. Since then I have been to many Motorcycle GP's in England and Club races up until 1978. In 1980 I finally moved to the States and went to Motorcycle races and IMSA races at Sears Point and Laguna Seca.

But I am embarasedto say that since watching F1 since the 50's I have never been to a Live F1 race. However, I am happy to say I will be rectifying that by going to the USGP in September.

Ian
Old 23 May 2000, 18:29 (Ref:14540)   #10
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first race I went to was when I was only 6 weeks old at Brands Hatch but I dont remember that.

The first one I remember was Donington in 1989 when we were running Kelvin Burt in Formula Fords. I polished the car and when he took his first win in car racing they all said it was cos of my polishing (off course I believed them cos I was only six)

I also remember my first FFord festival in the same year I think Nico Palhares won it and i6t was wet and cold and I think the highlight of the weekend was a thrust 2 model in the shop that was worth 2 grand.

I went to the '86 GP at Brands but I dont remember it. tHe first GP I remember is '93 European at Donington they seemed louder back then than they do now, I dont know if they were or if it was just cos I was younger????
Old 23 May 2000, 20:00 (Ref:14541)   #11
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The British Grand Prix at Silverstone 2000 was mine.
Old 23 May 2000, 21:49 (Ref:14542)   #12
Ross
Rookie

Ross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first race meeting was BSB at Cadwell Park. Ray Stringer won and someone got badly hurt on a sidecar.

My first car race was F3 at Thruxton in '96 and I think Ralph Firman won

My first GP was Silverstone '98 It ****ed down all day and the Red Baron won (No surprise there, except he won while sat in the pits)