Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 1 Apr 2020, 07:06 (Ref:3967970)   #101
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ignore that, realised the date

Last edited by SnoodyMcFlude; 1 Apr 2020 at 07:27.
Old 1 Apr 2020, 08:56 (Ref:3967984)   #102
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Ignore that, realised the date
Did you post a story about Ekstrom by any chance?...
Old 2 Apr 2020, 13:01 (Ref:3968209)   #103
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nope it was early, I wasn't paying attention and it seemed possible.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 3 Apr 2020, 10:39 (Ref:3968367)   #104
HoleInTheHedge
Rookie

European Union
HoleInTheHedge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nope it was early, I wasn't paying attention and it seemed possible.
He’s after adding a new video to he’s Instagram account, might not have been an April’s Fool!!
Old 3 Apr 2020, 11:05 (Ref:3968375)   #105
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInTheHedge View Post
He’s after adding a new video to he’s Instagram account, might not have been an April’s Fool!!
Well there is a "spare" 2018 car, so fingers crossed!
Old 4 Apr 2020, 14:15 (Ref:3968597)   #106
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
I'm increasingly pessimistic about getting much more than Esports this year.

Old 4 Apr 2020, 20:40 (Ref:3968668)   #107
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I think we could be on for the winter series at Lydden - but that's about it.
Old 15 Apr 2020, 19:39 (Ref:3971022)   #108
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

One the plus side the awesome rally sim Dirt Rally 2.0 has a new edition out with 13 rallycross tracks, 13 rallies and pretty much every car you could ever want to drive. Beating the kids on that can waste hours...
Old 16 Apr 2020, 07:55 (Ref:3971081)   #109
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
One the plus side the awesome rally sim Dirt Rally 2.0 has a new edition out with 13 rallycross tracks, 13 rallies and pretty much every car you could ever want to drive. Beating the kids on that can waste hours...
I must admit I have been toying with the idea of getting a PS4 - for Dirt Rally 2.0 and Gran Turismo (I know people that race on there). Is Dirt actually any good? On the PS3 the Dirt series was going downhill.
Old 16 Apr 2020, 10:51 (Ref:3971115)   #110
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I must admit I have been toying with the idea of getting a PS4 - for Dirt Rally 2.0 and Gran Turismo (I know people that race on there). Is Dirt actually any good? On the PS3 the Dirt series was going downhill.
I personally think DR2.0 is the peak of the Dirt series, but others may disagree!

You can get the base game and all DLC relatively cheap now and that gives more rally locations, rally cars and (in my personal opinion) the best representation of rallycross we have ever got in a Dirt game. The weird DR1 airborne physics have been addressed and the RWD cars are not so unpredictable.

It isn't perfect: my biggest gripe is probably the Group B rallycross cars which are not as accurately represented as I hoped and the "hardcore" damage mode is still too forgiving but, despite that, I have still poured a significant amount of time into playing it.
Old 17 Apr 2020, 08:55 (Ref:3971280)   #111
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I personally think DR2.0 is the peak of the Dirt series, but others may disagree!

You can get the base game and all DLC relatively cheap now and that gives more rally locations, rally cars and (in my personal opinion) the best representation of rallycross we have ever got in a Dirt game. The weird DR1 airborne physics have been addressed and the RWD cars are not so unpredictable.

It isn't perfect: my biggest gripe is probably the Group B rallycross cars which are not as accurately represented as I hoped and the "hardcore" damage mode is still too forgiving but, despite that, I have still poured a significant amount of time into playing it.
I'd second that. With all the DLC included, as mentioned before, this is probably the only rally/rallycross game you need.

My only gripe is that I'm not good enough at it. Fine for 90 percent of a stage then drive into a tree on an innocuous '5 left".

I have enjoyed channelling my inner Marklund online and driving people into walls. Speaking of which Steve, we need to arrange something this weekend.
Old 17 Apr 2020, 09:05 (Ref:3971285)   #112
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
My only gripe is that I'm not good enough at it. Fine for 90 percent of a stage then drive into a tree on an innocuous '5 left".
I know what you mean - I find myself getting annoyed by the pace notes (me not agreeing that the corner is a '5' or the call was too late / early)

Quote:
I have enjoyed channelling my inner Marklund online and driving people into walls.
The problem I have with online racing is the amount of contact - if you're racing with a bunch of people you know then it's fine but just joining a random group I find hugely frustrating.
Old 17 Apr 2020, 09:53 (Ref:3971294)   #113
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey
Quote:
I know what you mean - I find myself getting annoyed by the pace notes (me not agreeing that the corner is a '5' or the call was too late / early)
Yeah, there are a handful of notes that I don't quite agree with, but most of my trips to the scenery are usually down to overambitious entry speeds rather than a poor pace note!

I find DR2.0 immensely satisfying when I do managed to string a perfect stage together though. Much of my time with the game has been spent either trying to better my own times or contesting a stage time with a mate.

The latest (and final) major DLC for DR2.0 has added Scotland and it is easily one of my favourite locations in the game. Although the environment looks similar to Wales at a casual glance, the stages are faster, narrower and way more treacherous.

It is a real shame that licensing prohibits Codemasters from including the current spec WRCars, as I think they would be incredible to drive on some of the DR2.0 stages. There is at least a better selection of 2.0L WRCars and almost all the R5's in DR2.0.

Quote:
The problem I have with online racing is the amount of contact - if you're racing with a bunch of people you know then it's fine but just joining a random group I find hugely frustrating.
Well if you get a PS4 then you are more than welcome to join the handful of us on here online Bert. I am the same as you and only race online with people I know, as it is very frustrating if you get stuck in a room full of people who just want to smash each other up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I have enjoyed channelling my inner Marklund online and driving people into walls.
...that said I have cursed at the screen when you are getting your Marklund on Adam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Speaking of which Steve, we need to arrange something this weekend.
I was already assuming that Sunday evening was race night!
Old 17 Apr 2020, 19:21 (Ref:3971404)   #114
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
2.0 is free download on PS Plus this month, and then you can get all downloadable content for 16 quid

Old 18 Apr 2020, 13:41 (Ref:3971533)   #115
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be up for a bit of fun, but only have PC version. The proper way to game obviously!

My fourpenneth.
If you had DR1, this current game is a con, most of the DLC is stuff you have already played on, used etc, and if you add up the cost of it all without deals it is approaching 100 quid. That is a lot for what is basically a heavily patched version of the fist game, with a bit of new content!

Also when the PS4 version came out free, the PC servers basically crashed, so inadequately did Codies realise the demand, or maybe they don't give a damn about PC players, wouldn't be the first time!

yes it is good, but it is nowhere near right, it is immeasurably difficult, deliberately so at times.

So many weird issues, all rally fans know finish boards are not made of concrete, yet in this game they encroach on the road and are solid, the end of most stages usually features a slightly duff pacenote call, the wet weather handling is woeful and nothing like the dry. The FFB in early versions almost caused the game to be trashed it was so bad, and even now has mainly been resolved by stellar work by gamers.

Of course there is good stuff, the car handling in many ways is improved in most areas from DR1, the stages looks pretty but are also made to be extra difficult by effects, sunlight, fog on snow (white on white on white on white, cmon guys really)

It is fun, satisfying, but I do feel Codies tried to "Dark Souls up" Dirt rally 2, it is already the fiercely hardest sim you will play yet they felt the need to add extra false difficulty there in an effort to make it harder, and harder and harder.
Old 19 Apr 2020, 17:17 (Ref:3971728)   #116
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I never played on DR1. Are the rally stages for the same countries in DR1 and SR2 (e.g. Wales) the exact same stages then? That seems pretty cheap!
Old 19 Apr 2020, 19:30 (Ref:3971737)   #117
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
I never played on DR1. Are the rally stages for the same countries in DR1 and SR2 (e.g. Wales) the exact same stages then? That seems pretty cheap!
The rally locations in the base DR2.0 game (New Zealand, Poland, Argentina, Australia, Spain and USA) were all new stages (although Australia, Spain and USA did feature in Dirt 4).

The chargable DLC rally locations (Germany, Monaco, Wales, Sweden, Greece and Monaco) were all in DR1, though they got a cosmetic refresh for DR2.0 and (more importantly) now have stage degredation.

The final McRae DLC includes Scotland, which is all new.

Given the DR1 content got some tarting up (and was effectively extra content) I didn't begrudge spending the money. I would expect a subsequent title to include all the locations in the base game though.
Old 20 Apr 2020, 20:05 (Ref:3971918)   #118
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Forgive the double post, but just spotted this news story pop up on Facebook:

https://www.fia.com/news/wrx-fia-ann...VXg95jRKVEWryY

Electric transition now deferred until 2022.
Old 21 Apr 2020, 10:47 (Ref:3972014)   #119
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sensible decision at this time, there’s no rush for it
Old 21 Apr 2020, 16:05 (Ref:3972071)   #120
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally think that the interest for it has been so cold either way that a 2022 move isn't very hampering, if at all.

VW stopped with ICE motorsport to focus on electric motorsport and Eriksson said OMSE would be a fully electric company by 2020. But besides from them there hasn't even been rumours about manufacturers or teams with interest for electric cars in rallycross.

Heck, even STARD would benefit since they now can run their electric cars for another year without an official electric car kinda taking its place. They had also only sold 4 cars judging by announcements before the outbreak, making it possible that only like 5 or 6 cars would've lined up in Montalegre.
Old 21 Apr 2020, 18:49 (Ref:3972099)   #121
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right now, the series is not big enough to warrant that type of investment to be a token gesture, no-one with sense would commit long term, it would be test beds etc.

In FE they can front and centre and be crap and get coverage.

Not in WRX which despite some great racing, is just about keeping its head above water, and probably not financially, there is no round stability and this constant toing and froing is never good, the people there now are largely the ones there before IMG took over.
Old 27 Apr 2020, 17:34 (Ref:3973191)   #122
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry forgot to reply to this for some reason... I'll do so now as there may be a few other fans dipping their toes into sim racing / eracing for the first time during the lockdown.

There are only two proper sims on the PS 4: Dirt Rally 2.0 and Assetto Corsa - but they are both absolutely awesome. People have already endorsed DR 2.0 and is the first purchase for any rally fan. AC is also an essential buy - it has a good range of well-modelled cars from 1950s formula one and 1960s sportscars to modern GT racing. Most of the tracks are real and laser scanned, from smaller club circuits in Italy to Spa and the Nurburgring. There is no rallying or rallycross in AC however (although there is an Audi Quattro in race spec).

Grand Turismo and Project Cars 2 are more 'arcade games' - ok if you are 14 but if you have any real motorsport experience the car handling feels unconvincing.

If you are a PC gamer then RFactor 2 is worth looking at. It is a good sim, but downloading extra tracks and cars is a bit fiddly and some content is buggy. IRacing is very good too but it is a subscription service and isn't really worth it unless you play a lot.

There is a new version of Assetto Corsa for the PC only called AC Competizione, but it has met with mixed reviews. I don't have an up to date gaming PC so can't really comment, but I suspect it will see some updates and improvements over time.
Old 28 Apr 2020, 12:01 (Ref:3973345)   #123
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Assetto Corsa has a vibrant modding scene so there are a wealth of cars and tracks available, including WRX cars but no tracks (someone please tell me I'm mistaken!).

May not be WRX but driving an Audi 90 IMSA around the Nordschleife isn't entirely bad. Though you seem to spend a lot of time on the brakes and staring at barriers that seemed far away a second ago.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 09:46 (Ref:3973532)   #124
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Assetto Corsa Competizione is my favourite handling sim but as it's only GT cars it has limited appeal for some. Personally I love endurance racing and settling into a stint so that's a bonus for me, but the main thing is that handling is fun, consistent and varies from car to car. Think it's due on console later in the year and I think is worth considering. In fact I think it's worth it just for being able to hammer great sounding and handling cars round Mount Panorama for 12 hours.

iRacing is really good for racing and you can often get subscriptions on a deal, usually best to get a 2 year option. Problem is having to pay extra for content or end up a bit limited to what races you can do and how you can advance your licenses. Especially annoying if you enjoy multiple disciplines. The main advantage is that you don't end up with a lobby of people trying to punt you, everyone is there to race seriously.

In Assetto Corsa you can definitely download a mod for Bikernieku but I can't remember if it actually includes the RX track

Old 5 May 2020, 08:41 (Ref:3974571)   #125
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
So, a revised calendar has been posted essentially kicking off in late August and finishing in December. I suspect it will be behind closed doors though. At least the first few rounds...