Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Nov 2014, 07:47 (Ref:3474151)   #1301
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Exactly, and if he had been pitted a lap earlier then he'd have won.

I hope Lewis attacks as normal in Abu Dhabi personally.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 08:08 (Ref:3474154)   #1302
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I think that Lewis deserves to win the championship this year, in my opinion he has out-driven Nico, so personally, Hamilton as 2014 World Champion is what I would like to see, but only in a fair fight.
What I do not want to see is him losing the Championship due to dirty tactics, and for me, that includes the artificial injustice of double points.
If whoever wins the championship this year does so by unfair means, then for me that will devalue the achievement.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 10:52 (Ref:3474194)   #1303
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i know it's bordering on blasphemy, but the teams and drivers have known about this double points thing all season. if they'd just suddenly decided SURPRISE! double points then the hostility would make more sense.

it IS daft, in the context of our sport and the overall rules (no reverse grids, no funny business like points for pole and fastest lap), and because of that it'd leave a slight bitter taste in the mouth. but we've all known about it all year and as such if a team or driver hasn't covered their arses well enough to make sure it won't have an effect on them that's a seperate issue.

having said that, i believe that the most deserving of the two is hamilton. rosberg is a brilliant driver, but putting someone next to lewis is in a way like comparing them with alonso. they're going to look slow, the only question is by how much. to hamilton's credit, he doesn't seem as horrific a teammate to have as alonso though
Old 13 Nov 2014, 12:29 (Ref:3474212)   #1304
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rosberg vs Hamilton

I find it amusing that the clamour about double points has risen since we reached the stage where only Rosberg can win by virtue of them.

As for all the praise for Hamilton, let's see him finish the job first. I've been a bit disappointed in Rosberg in the last few races, I think the pressure has got to him. But I also think Hamilton has made unnecessarily hard work of winning the title in possibly the most dominant car we've ever seen. Reminds me of Villeneuve in the Williams - possibly the least deserving WDC in F1 history.

In my view Alonso (and probably Vettel) would have won the title a few races ago.

Last edited by garcon; 13 Nov 2014 at 12:30. Reason: typo
Old 13 Nov 2014, 12:43 (Ref:3474218)   #1305
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm, I think we might criticise for earlier season form, but 5 wins and one 2nd in the last 6 races - I don't really think that's a record anyone can criticise......
Old 13 Nov 2014, 13:43 (Ref:3474231)   #1306
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Regarding the more recent interest/outrage about the double points scenario. Personally, I'm more focussed on the 'harm' (in my humble opinion) this can do to the championship now that we're almost at the end of said championship. When the idea was first mooted, this was a long way away.
(In a similar vein, now I am in my late 50's, I am far more aware of my own mortality than I was as a ten year old...)
Old 13 Nov 2014, 14:03 (Ref:3474235)   #1307
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Hmm, I think we might criticise for earlier season form, but 5 wins and one 2nd in the last 6 races - I don't really think that's a record anyone can criticise......
True enough. I suppose I could stretch the point by arguing that Rosberg has gone off the boil but that would be a little churlish.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 14:29 (Ref:3474239)   #1308
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I find it amusing that the clamour about double points has risen since we reached the stage where only Rosberg can win by virtue of them.

As for all the praise for Hamilton, let's see him finish the job first. I've been a bit disappointed in Rosberg in the last few races, I think the pressure has got to him. But I also think Hamilton has made unnecessarily hard work of winning the title in possibly the most dominant car we've ever seen. Reminds me of Villeneuve in the Williams - possibly the least deserving WDC in F1 history.

In my view Alonso (and probably Vettel) would have won the title a few races ago.
Oh, you cheeky little rascal, you almost had me there!
Old 13 Nov 2014, 14:45 (Ref:3474242)   #1309
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I'm going to class that as 'the big one that got away'...

Old 13 Nov 2014, 14:59 (Ref:3474247)   #1310
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Your only hope is if Kirk comes back and chomps on the Villeneuve line.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 15:34 (Ref:3474257)   #1311
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Sometimes you have to cast deep.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 15:45 (Ref:3474258)   #1312
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Sometimes you have to cast deep.
The corollary to Hamilton winning the World Drivers title, and thus being the best driver currently racing (he must be, mustn't he?), then of course Rosberg must be the second best driver. And, indeed vice versa!

You can't argue with the facts.

............ well unless you subscribe to the view that having the most points at the end of a season does not automatically make you a true Champion.

Personally I have no opinion on the matter.

What do you think Garco?
Old 13 Nov 2014, 16:55 (Ref:3474270)   #1313
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think that the pair of them having a car that is so far ahead of all other teams could make a fair bit of difference
Old 13 Nov 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3474295)   #1314
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I think that the pair of them having a car that is so far ahead of all other teams could make a fair bit of difference
Surely you are not suggesting that neither will be a worthy World Champion?
Old 13 Nov 2014, 19:55 (Ref:3474318)   #1315
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
What do you think Garco?

Every WDC deserves the title. I honestly mean that.

However that isn't to say there aren't often a few other drivers on the grid who would have been equally deserving in slightly different circumstances.

And some WDC's are rather more deserved than others.

But that's the way of sport.

You can't blame Mercedes for their absolute domination. And you can't (now) question Hamilton's decision to move when he did. Someone advised him well.

All Hamilton could possibly do this season is beat his teammate. Barring mishaps in the last race, that's what he will have done.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 20:15 (Ref:3474327)   #1316
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Such bitterness is unbecoming of you garcon.

Don't worry, Rosberg can still win. In fact, it is surely written that he will.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3474329)   #1317
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I'm not bitter!

I hope Lewis wins now.

Because I don't think I could cope with all the whining from his fans about how unfair it all is if he doesn't...

Oh, and he deserves it.

Old 13 Nov 2014, 20:22 (Ref:3474330)   #1318
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Such bitterness is unbecoming of you garcon.

Don't worry, Rosberg can still win. In fact, it is surely written that he will.
Only if he doesn't have a DNF, or Hamilton finishes 3rd or has a DNF.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 22:56 (Ref:3474380)   #1319
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the win record speaks for itself. I fully believe, and sincerely hope, that the title should and will go to the driver with the most wins.

Nico in some ways has impressed me this season, in others he has disappointed.
There was no need to go so far over the line as he has on occasion this season (Monaco) and Spa, while not deliberate, was clumsy in the extreme.

He also seems to be unable to race without a measure of reserve. We know hamilton, when he is pushing, is giving it one hundred percent, most of the time that is the difference between him and Nico, and yes, occasionally that gets him into trouble with mistakes etc too.
There hasn't been one race where you thought "Oh Wow, Nico, that was brave!" etc, such as Hamilton diving inside at COTA or somehow fending him off on the slower strategy in Bahrain with amazing car placement.

I'll repeat what I said at the start of the season, in a straight fight, Lewis is the better driver. That's not to say Nico is BAD, no, Lewis is just better.
But unreliability means you can't bet on the best driver winning.
And Lewis has had more unreliability than Nico too, so who knows what could happen in a weeks time....
Old 13 Nov 2014, 23:30 (Ref:3474394)   #1320
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I believe that this championship has been decided by the Mercedes Benz marketing department and that Nico has been "Hamstrung" and told to suck it up!
"We most certainly can discipline Rosberg" Toto Wolff.
Yes you can Toto you have done an extraordinary job, well done!
Since "the contact" Rosberg has positively jumped out of Hamilton's way whenever they have even been vaguely close, COTA is a good example.
Old 14 Nov 2014, 00:05 (Ref:3474402)   #1321
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I believe that this championship has been decided by the Mercedes Benz marketing department and that Nico has been "Hamstrung" and told to suck it up!
Since "the contact" Rosberg has positively jumped out of Hamilton's way whenever they have even been vaguely close, COTA is a good example.
"Hamstrung",
Old 14 Nov 2014, 02:00 (Ref:3474417)   #1322
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
NONSENSE. Complete NONSENSE!

The fact is, Hamilton has the courage to send moves up the inside of Nico like that because he knows, as the championship leader, if Nico was to enforce any contact, it is still to his advantage because Nico would lose the chance to gain on him.
Nico didn't so much jump out of his way as squeeze him as much as he thought he could get away with (to which Lewis responded in kind and ran him off the road, all's fair in love and world championships )
Old 14 Nov 2014, 02:43 (Ref:3474422)   #1323
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
NONSENSE. Complete NONSENSE!

The fact is, Hamilton has the courage to send moves up the inside of Nico like that because he knows, as the championship leader, if Nico was to enforce any contact, it is still to his advantage because Nico would lose the chance to gain on him.
Nico didn't so much jump out of his way as squeeze him as much as he thought he could get away with (to which Lewis responded in kind and ran him off the road, all's fair in love and world championships )
There it is.... If anyone is brave enough, then go ahead....
Old 17 Nov 2014, 15:15 (Ref:3475817)   #1324
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know there are a lot of people who think Hamilton deserves the title and would be outraged if Rosberg won because of double points, but is there anyway for Rosberg to win the title without everyone saying "Hamilton should have won"?

Let's say Rosberg wins and Hamilton retires, Rosberg would have won the championship either way. Or (in the highly unlikely event) Hamilton has an appalling race for whatever reason and finishes outside of the points giving Rosberg the championship, would people still say Rosberg is an undeserving champion?
Old 17 Nov 2014, 15:29 (Ref:3475822)   #1325
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
I know there are a lot of people who think Hamilton deserves the title and would be outraged if Rosberg won because of double points, but is there anyway for Rosberg to win the title without everyone saying "Hamilton should have won"?

Let's say Rosberg wins and Hamilton retires, Rosberg would have won the championship either way. Or (in the highly unlikely event) Hamilton has an appalling race for whatever reason and finishes outside of the points giving Rosberg the championship, would people still say Rosberg is an undeserving champion?
Tough call - I wouldn't say so, no. I've felt that Rosberg has had Champion's Luck this season.

One thing a lot of people are forgetting is that with the points gap as it is, double points are unlikely to play a part.