Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

21st Goodwood Revival Meeting
Calendar: Historic Racing
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett

13 Sep 2019 to 15 Sep 2019 07:30 to 18:00
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings

Grids to be announced later.

Old 10 Sep 2019, 13:33 (Ref:3927165)   #46
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We are there on our usual Friday.
No dressing up, no 'over the road' or any infield 'attractions' just there for the cars. The evening race is usually a cracker.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3927166)   #47
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
You will have a great day. Seduced by the entry ( eight 250GT SWBs plus a GTO) and the weather forecast, my resolve was broken and I just bought a ticket for Friday.
Yes the Kinrara entry is stunning. Shame the GTO is a replica . Hope it does better than last year with its startline incident with a famous E Type if I recall.

Shame no LM's or the like in the TT now.

Busy month ahead in historics. Just looked at the calendar .
Old 10 Sep 2019, 14:04 (Ref:3927168)   #48
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Are there any "must see" things off track? (Other than the race paddocks) I'm trying to make a rough plan of what to see as there's so much going on (always a problem at Goodwood!)
Bert, ignore all the razzamatazz stuff, you can get easily waylaid on your way round. There are restrictions on close up viewing in the main paddock unless you have a separate (and expensive) paddock pass which incidentally is the same at the Le Mans classic.
The massive attendance means a long hike from the car parking areas which are all clearly defined outside the circuit in adjoining fields and although there are tractor trailers running all day, it's very difficult to clamber aboard one particularly with a haversack and a seat as they always seemed to be full! In fact the car parks alone are astonishing with the wealth of machinery driven to the circuit, you could wander around all day just drooling at some of the road cars. There are big gaps between races which can give the opportunity for other activities but as with other big events the bulk of the crowd gather around the start/finish and along from Woodcote through to Madgwick so if you try to move around it's quite difficult. If you want to see the racing try anywhere from the exit of Madgwick through to St Marys, my favourite spectating point is at No Name, the kink before St Marys where the brave and talented can be seen at their best on track. I've been every year except one when I was laid up but then I'm biaised since it's only 15 minutes away! Oh and take all you want to eat and drink unless you're feeling flush!
Old 10 Sep 2019, 14:24 (Ref:3927173)   #49
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Bert, ignore all the razzamatazz stuff, you can get easily waylaid on your way round.
I want to go and have a look at the vintage aircraft (I'm quite an avgeek) so that's one diversion I'll definitely take. I'm not sure how much of the other off track stuff is worth a look? I guess some of that continues after racing has finished for the day anyway as the site is open quite late.

Quote:
There are restrictions on close up viewing in the main paddock unless you have a separate (and expensive) paddock pass which incidentally is the same at the Le Mans classic.
Thanks - that's useful, I won't try that then! Is it all race paddocks that are off limits or only some of them?

Quote:
The massive attendance means a long hike from the car parking areas which are all clearly defined outside the circuit in adjoining fields
I'm up for a walk so that's no issue - they used the revival car parks for the Battle Of Britain flypast thing a few years back and they were mud baths but I guess that shouldn't be an issue this year with the better weather we've had recently. Walking the circuit should be warmer than last time I did it - it barely got above freezing all day and the sleet/rain never stopped!

Quote:
There are big gaps between races which can give the opportunity for other activities but as with other big events the bulk of the crowd gather around the start/finish and along from Woodcote through to Madgwick so if you try to move around it's quite difficult. If you want to see the racing try anywhere from the exit of Madgwick through to St Marys, my favourite spectating point is at No Name, the kink before St Marys where the brave and talented can be seen at their best on track.
The big gaps are useful for re-positioning - as you say the 'non-race' crowds don't tend to move far so with a small bit of leg work a quieter spot should be easily found (St Marys and Lavant are currently my preferred options but I may re-assess based on what's in shot in the background).

Quote:
I've been every year except one when I was laid up but then I'm biaised since it's only 15 minutes away! Oh and take all you want to eat and drink unless you're feeling flush!
Lucky man! This is the first time I'll have been to the revival (and only then courtesy of a gifted ticket). I'll be taking my own supplies of food/drink - I don't want to have to re-mortgage the house for a cup of tea
Old 10 Sep 2019, 14:48 (Ref:3927177)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Notwithstanding the "cynics" among us . I hope you enjoy yourselves.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3927182)   #51
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I want to go and have a look at the vintage aircraft (I'm quite an avgeek) so that's one diversion I'll definitely take. I'm not sure how much of the other off track stuff is worth a look? I guess some of that continues after racing has finished for the day anyway as the site is open quite late.
Through the pedestrian tunnel to the infield and the left round the back of the main paddock, the aircraft displays are always worth a look.

Thanks - that's useful, I won't try that then! Is it all race paddocks that are off limits or only some of them?
No just the main paddock where a lot of the more expensive/rare cars are, the F3, GT's and saloons are usually very accessible as are the bikes.

I'm up for a walk so that's no issue -
Needless to say really but walk round anticlockwise starting at Woodcote and you won't be bending your neck!

Lucky man! This is the first time I'll have been to the revival (and only then courtesy of a gifted ticket).
First time in 5 years that I forked out for a ticket - I've been lucky enough to receive a weekend pass in recognition of charity work on the Friday so this year it"s Sunday only for me, have fun! Oops! don't know what I did there
Old 10 Sep 2019, 16:23 (Ref:3927192)   #52
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Are there any "must see" things off track? (Other than the race paddocks) I'm trying to make a rough plan of what to see as there's so much going on (always a problem at Goodwood!)
If you like old planes and they are still having the concours for them, that is definitely worth a visit. Entry into inner paddocks is usually members only (which you may be, of course), and gents have to wear jacket and tie, but you can still walk round the outside of them. The outer paddocks are free to roam.

So many side shows inside the circuit, but just as much going on the other side of the road! One day not enough to see it all...

Edit- sorry for repetition of other posts....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 10 Sep 2019 at 16:24. Reason: Whoops
Old 10 Sep 2019, 17:07 (Ref:3927195)   #53
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an option.
Attached Thumbnails
AfficheCircuit_2019bdf-11.jpg  
Old 10 Sep 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3927196)   #54
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indeed.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 18:05 (Ref:3927207)   #55
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well, it’s on the HRT calendar at the top of the page, so no excuse for anyone not knowing it’s on!

Sadly seems no tenthers except Peter (retrognome) heading that way this year, a situation not helped by Goody, Spa etc......
Old 10 Sep 2019, 18:18 (Ref:3927210)   #56
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have had some brilliant weekends racing Ramparts . Got a podium one year and the biggest trophy ever . Happy days .
Old 11 Sep 2019, 05:40 (Ref:3927272)   #57
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not going this year, Goodwood never my lucky circuit, back in the mid early sixties never managed to race there, E type always failed scrutineering, one particular scrutineer took a dislike to me ,then stuffed the 26R just befor the chicane and and didn't bother after that, this year left it too late for the tickets but have a Mike Hawthorn parking ticket if any one has a pre 1966 car and doesn't want to walk miles give me a call.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3927295)   #58
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Going back to whether the racing live stream will be free to view, their YouTube channel is ready and waiting, but no idea if a GRRC subscription of some sort will be required...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SA6Ki8b0Ul8
I've been informed that the live stream will be free to view for non GRRC members
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:15 (Ref:3927309)   #59
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Horses for courses really . . .all the histrionic 'events' have their pro's and cons. And in period they all had different races. Being predominantly a club racing circuit, Goodwood had a very broad church, although it still amazes me how many cars they invite that didn't race in period. LMC is a very well defined arena.

Goodwood do look after entrants very well, but its more work to play ball and do it all, properly.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3927325)   #60
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
I've been informed that the live stream will be free to view for non GRRC members
Beat me to it! Seems itís just the Members Meeting that is exclusive.....