Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 22 Jan 2019, 11:09 (Ref:3877674)   #1
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2019 Rallying....

A thread for all Rally championships...including

https://www.wrc.com/en/

https://www.fiaerc.com/

It would be nice if there was more interest, but for some reason the sport isn't grabbing the general motorsport fan's attention as it once did.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 08:31 (Ref:3878141)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!
I don't know if it's just in the UK that the profile of rallying has really dropped off or is it more widespread than that? Last years WRC was great - I just hope this year can live up to it (although I think the Fiestas will drop off in terms of competitiveness).

It's the Monte this weekend so 2019 is go!

Things to look out for - Loeb in the Hyundai, Ogier in the Citroen and Meeke in the Toyota.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 08:41 (Ref:3878148)   #3
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Last years WRC was great - I just hope this year can live up to it (although I think the Fiestas will drop off in terms of competitiveness).
Yeah, I am hoping for the best for M-Sport this year, but if they manage anything better than the odd podium I will be very surprised.

I have high hopes for this season though. Will Ogier regret his move to Citroen (or will he surprise everyone), can Neuville finally find consistency, will Tanak be unstoppable and can Meeke finally deliver on his potential?
Old 24 Jan 2019, 09:27 (Ref:3878162)   #4
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder if part of the reason interest is fading is because of the coverage.

Here in the US the coverage isn't as easy to come by, I have to watch WRC/ERC through "unofficial" websites. I think there is some Red Bull TV coverage or something that maybe can be watched in the US, but it's absolutely horrible. Sometimes when the "unofficial" sites can't upload the Eurosport (or whatever it is) coverage of WRC they use the Red Bull stuff and at that point I don't even watch it.

Even the "good" WRC coverage comes in 23~ minute highlights, and 10 mins of those highlights are a recap of the day before and talking to the drivers at the service area. There's so many beautiful, exciting sections of the rallies that we don't see, and drivers that won't even get mentioned that it makes the coverage seem disjointed and I think it makes it tough for people to get invested in it.

It's kinda the same with Dakar this year. I love the Dakar but the coverage is absolutely horrible. They get the same 23~ mins for a day of coverage, and 8-10 mins of it is just talking about the country/people/area... Which would be interesting except for the fact that it means they have less than 15 mins to cover 5 classes and filled with wonderful machines that you don't even know are running unless they are in the top 5, crash, set on fire, or run over a spectator or something like that. I haven't been able to find the Eurosport coverage this year, and I made it about 4 days in on the terrible Red Bull TV coverage before I just gave up.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 12:04 (Ref:3878210)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!
Top 3 from the shakedown:

1) Meeke (Toyota)
2) Ogier (Citroen)
3) Lappi (Citroen)

Interesting!
Old 25 Jan 2019, 08:33 (Ref:3878483)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
The stages last night looked pretty clear - there was a bit of ice on the first one (seemingly caught out Suninen who ended up off the road) but conditions looked ok. Brave tyre choice from Neuville - the only one to run without studded tyres, it didn't quite work out but it's good to see drivers prepared to take a chance. Loeb also went a slightly different way and only carried one spare to save weight.

Todays first stage has been cancelled as there are spectators in unsafe places
Old 26 Jan 2019, 07:30 (Ref:3878738)   #7
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just caught up with the coverage of the first stage, those onboards look absolutely frightening in the dark and at speed in icy conditions! No wonder these guys are paid top dollar. From my own point of view I think the tv coverage, albeit somewhat limited and the competition in general is wonderful viewing, the investment by the organisers and manufacturers is absolutely huge and deserves more exposure.
I always wonder watching some rally footage whether the spectators are even more slightly unhinged than those who take part! I have attended a few rally stages in the UK on occasions but the level of dedication that some of the spectators show on international rallies particularly Sweden, is quite incredible. They trudge miles humping all sorts of gear in freezing conditions and take up position hours before the anticipated stage in order to catch a fleeting glimpse of some sideways action, oh hang on I've been doing this sort of thing for years watching circuit racing but then at least I get to see a whole race! Unfortunately there will always be a certain element of disruptive people seeking a unique viewing vantage point putting not only themselves at risk but causing nightmares for the organisers, 'twas always thus.
Old 27 Jan 2019, 20:39 (Ref:3880058)   #8
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well plenty to talk about from the opening round of the WRC! Superb performance from Ogier in a car that many are unsure about, with a very tight fight with Neuville for first. Early delays for the Toyota trio, but a massive push from Tanak and a decent drive from Meeke as well. Loeb not quite on front running pace yet, but given he has came to Monte Carlo on the back of the Dakar, he may not have been on his best form.

A weekend to forget for M-Sport in terms of the upper tier, but a great result for Gus Greensmith and the R5 Fiesta in WRC2.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 08:50 (Ref:3880124)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Well plenty to talk about from the opening round of the WRC! Superb performance from Ogier in a car that many are unsure about, with a very tight fight with Neuville for first. Early delays for the Toyota trio, but a massive push from Tanak and a decent drive from Meeke as well. Loeb not quite on front running pace yet, but given he has came to Monte Carlo on the back of the Dakar, he may not have been on his best form.
Great performance from Ogier - 6 Monte wins in a row and in 3 different cars/teams - simply awesome. Neuville put up a good fight and you have to think Tanak would have been in the mix as well without the early problem. Add in good performances from Loeb, Latvala and Meeke and we're looking like it's going to be another good season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
A weekend to forget for M-Sport in terms of the upper tier, but a great result for Gus Greensmith and the R5 Fiesta in WRC2.
Good result for Greensmith but a very poor field in WRC2 Pro (2 cars!). Pretty dire in the WRC class for M-Sport - although from what I saw it was all driver mistakes rather than car issues.

Mistakes from Lappi and Mikklesen too - Mikklesen was looking pretty handy until he tore the wheel off. The pressure must be on Mikklesen to deliver this season - he was lacklustre last year and Hyundai need him to score useful points if they're going to win the manufacturers title - they can't rely on Neuville alone (and Loebs occasional appearances).
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:18 (Ref:3880177)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you go back, Mikkelsen has had SO many chances now, did rallies in WRC cars ten years ago and still not much to show for it.

No idea how he keeps getting rides, is it because he is pretty?
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:19 (Ref:3880178)   #11
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
If you go back, Mikkelsen has had SO many chances now, did rallies in WRC cars ten years ago and still not much to show for it.

No idea how he keeps getting rides, is it because he is pretty?
I assume he has backing? There certainly do seem to be better options out there if he's not bringing a sack of cash. He certainly needs to be a lot more consistent.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:44 (Ref:3880184)   #12
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I looked at his tenure with VW and even if the Polo was the best car he still had some good results, finishing third in the total standings three years in a row. He was after all picked by VW to compete in the third car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Mikkelsen
Old 28 Jan 2019, 23:26 (Ref:3880309)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you think of others like Evans, Wilkes, Duval, PG Andersson, Sola, Kresta, all did OK but had very short careers!!
Old 30 Jan 2019, 12:30 (Ref:3880660)   #14
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Good result for Greensmith but a very poor field in WRC2 Pro (2 cars!). Pretty dire in the WRC class for M-Sport - although from what I saw it was all driver mistakes rather than car issues.
To be fair to Greensmith, you can't do much more than beat whoever turns up. What's more I'm not sure the Fiesta R5 is the best car in this class. The very experienced Sarrazin was more than a minute back and the nearest Fiesta R5 three minutes back. Rovenpera binned it early, of course, but coping with pressure is what rallying is about.

If I was Malcolm Wilson I'd be very happy with a young driver who did what was expected, kept it on the road, and remained competitive throughout. You don't learn anything from a ditch.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 14:58 (Ref:3880692)   #15
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
To be fair to Greensmith, you can't do much more than beat whoever turns up. What's more I'm not sure the Fiesta R5 is the best car in this class. The very experienced Sarrazin was more than a minute back and the nearest Fiesta R5 three minutes back. Rovenpera binned it early, of course, but coping with pressure is what rallying is about.

If I was Malcolm Wilson I'd be very happy with a young driver who did what was expected, kept it on the road, and remained competitive throughout. You don't learn anything from a ditch.
All valid points Greensmith ticked all the boxes - win, learn, don't bin it. Of the R5 cars the Fabia seems to have an edge over the Fiesta and Citroen (but not much). The R5 class as a whole (not just at WRC level) seems to be quite well balanced.