Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Sep 2003, 22:51 (Ref:718923)   #1
CobraSVT
Rookie

CobraSVT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques Villeneuve's Future...

Recently, it was said that BAR wanted to get rid of Jacques Villeneuve and they were to replace him with a japanese racer. Not long ago they were ready to not race with Tobbaco logos in Montreal (Canada) to save the F1 race in Montreal, because of Villeneuve's popularity there.

Everyone remember Villeneuve's success with Williams?
Well.. Frank Williams stated that Villeneuve is too young to retire and there are probobly other teams open for him. Montoya and R.Shumacher's contracts end this season or the next supposedly. Might we see Villeneuve back to Williams?
Or like I said in another thread.. Villeneuve and Shumacher, both Ferrari #1's?

People have also talked about Villeneuve in Nascar. (Uhh..)

The last option I could see would be, Jacques back in Champ Car, though Players wont be there anymore.. Maybe he could be Alex Tagliani's team mate.
I'd smell Tracy/Villeneuve ownage.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you guys think.
I'm sure that Villeneuve probobly won't retire.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 23:20 (Ref:718941)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He demonstrated he's worth, today. But it doesn't really depend on him, does it...
Old 14 Sep 2003, 23:45 (Ref:718947)   #3
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well let's hope he doesn't retire Cobra but it seems that forces are conspiring against him at the moment so he may be forced out. As I've said before there are MANY other drivers who deserve to lose their seats before Villeneuve (eg. Coultard and Ralf just to start). He has had terrible luck to say the least this season while Button has run away with near perfect reliability.

But he proved in Monza that given a reliable car he can deliver the goods so let's hope with a few more strong showings to end the season he can land a drive somewhere else as I think it is pretty obvious who is getting the preferrential treatment at BAR.

I do think BAT still want JV on board but with the tobacco restrictions looming it looks like Honda will have most of the say in the long term future of BAR and I am sure they may want Sato in the team. However Honda have always been very supportive of Villeneuve, as they are aware he only really joined the team because Honda was to be involved.

But who knows what will happen, maybe the Williams-BMW deal took so long to wrap up because they were discussing the Ralf (German driver) issue as perhaps Frank is looking to bring in somebody else? It's all speculation at this point but we will know soon enough, there are only two GP's left and the teams will have to lock in their driver pairings for next year some time soon.

F1 will really be on its way down if a former WDC can't find a seat, especially with so many hacks present in the other teams.

Last edited by TeddyG; 14 Sep 2003 at 23:47.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 04:49 (Ref:719112)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Whats this, a Villeneuve fan meeting?

Quote:
Originally posted by TeddyG

But he proved in Monza that given a reliable car he can deliver the goods
The ironic thing is, had Buttons car stayed in one piece, he'd still have finished ahead of Jacques
Old 15 Sep 2003, 05:27 (Ref:719124)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I once had faith defined to me as "total belief in something despite all evidence to the contra".

And JV fans have the most faith of all drivers (both Jos and Jacques ironically).

I knew Damon was past it, and accepted it. I knew Alesi was past it, I accepted it. But man, JV will be an old man in a nursing home before you guys accept him wont win another race, let alone a championship.

JV was once an very very quick driver, one of the best, but it's over. Take the gold watch and chase girls with Eddie at Monaco.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 05:36 (Ref:719127)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i certainly agree about seeing Coulthard leave F1 before JV...JV can still race well and is a good talent...

BUT...some the stuff that he has said recently borders on the ridiculous !...Look at what he was saying about Button pre season , look what he has said recently about certain new members of the BAR team un doing all the fine work that had ben achieved at BAR ...I mean , BAR has totally under performed since its creation , yet the way JV is talking it sounds like theyve just won the last 3 constructors championships...

Personally , id love to see JV whip Michael Schumachers butt , but i cant see it ever happening . Not because JV hasnt got the talent to beat Michael in a equal car , but because off all the verbal rubbish that he says all the time nowdays .

Last edited by Sato san; 15 Sep 2003 at 05:39.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 05:39 (Ref:719130)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Your kidding right Sato? JV could take MS? He has trouble with Button, how could he get on par with the 5 times WDC?

Or are you suggesting Buttun is faster than both of them?
Old 15 Sep 2003, 05:44 (Ref:719132)   #8
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jv is certainly better than he looks right now.........

My point Wrex is this ......If JV concentrated purley on his driving and not on all his stupid talking , i think we would see the JV of old .

But , he wont shut up long enough nowdays will he ....The guy has peaked , his time has gone ...but not because he cant race , he just has lost his focus on what is important..

Oh and i didnt say he could beat Button did i . ...

Last edited by Sato san; 15 Sep 2003 at 05:47.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 05:51 (Ref:719135)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
I agree his good days are behind him. I'm suprised actually, I thought he would really knuckle down this season (knowing he would be looking for a new contract) and smoke Jenson.

I understand he's had very poor reliablity, but given the state of his career, slagging the team every time it broke down did'nt help him. He must have known every team manager was listening every time he opened his mouth this season, and when you look at what has been said, you have to wonder if he really wanted another drive.

In my mind, he's either incredibly niave, stupid, or (more likely) self sabotaging because he did'nt really want a drive in 2004.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 05:59 (Ref:719138)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Villeneuve's glory-days are long over. Really, although he HAS tried his best this year, he's had bad luck, plus Button has simply out-driven him for most of the year.

Jacques would be better off announcing his retirement rather than being embarrassingly dumped by the team.

At least then he leaves on his own terms.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 05:59 (Ref:719140)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
In my mind, he's either incredibly niave, stupid, or (more likely) self sabotaging because he did'nt really want a drive in 2004.
I think he is all of those things......but i dont nessasarily think he has lost his ability .
Old 15 Sep 2003, 06:28 (Ref:719155)   #12
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV is always being a pighead...maybe because of his late dad and the fact he was a past champion. Good riddance if he leaves...i would certainly won't miss him like i miss irvine aka the 'motor-mouth'
Old 15 Sep 2003, 06:43 (Ref:719167)   #13
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh, what a great thread this has turned into again.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 09:43 (Ref:719322)   #14
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'd like to see him in a prodrive ferrari at le mans...is this a more positive vibe?
Old 15 Sep 2003, 09:44 (Ref:719323)   #15
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has been no new points in a Villeneuve thread for about 6 months.

Teddy G reckons that forces are conspiring against Jacques and he is being forced out - and I think that says it all on a lot of levels.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 10:34 (Ref:719359)   #16
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V

The ironic thing is, had Buttons car stayed in one piece, he'd still have finished ahead of Jacques
:confused: Ummm no sorry Mr.V. Villeneuve gained two places and PASSED Button at the start and was pulling away from him despite having the heavier fuel load. No way Button would have beaten JV today. Give it up.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 10:35 (Ref:719360)   #17
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Your kidding right Sato? JV could take MS?
Awwww is someone still deeply repressing his memories of Jerez 97 again? Poor Wrex JV did it before and he can do it again, given a decent car.

Last edited by TeddyG; 15 Sep 2003 at 10:36.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 10:38 (Ref:719363)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Nonsense.
The only time when Button was ahead of Jacques (4th) was after Jacques did his pitstop.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 15 Sep 2003 at 10:39.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 11:54 (Ref:719431)   #19
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Awwww is someone still deeply repressing his memories of Jerez 97 again? Poor Wrex JV did it before and he can do it again, given a decent car.
Teddy, I think if you read my past posts, you'll find I thought very highly of JV back then, more so than Schumacher. As for Jerez, I list that as one of the worst display of sportsmanship by a driver ever. He was brilliant back then, and my heart still sinks when I remember his first race at Melbourne (that I was at) and the victory that was stolen from him.

However, the difference between us though, is I dont live in the past. Life goes on, and drivers get better and worse. Since Jerez, one of them has developed into a 5 times WDC, a team leader, great developer, and has displayed skills that make his as worthy of the WDC as Senna, Prost and Fangio.

The other sank to the bottom. Went for the paycheque drive, bad mouths his team and teammates, and the only thing worse than his on track display is his off track antics.

I ask you one question (and please dont give me the T-Shirt answer), why is it Michael is going for a 6th WDC, while JV, despite the talent you claim, is struggling for a drive? Why are the top teams not interested (even for free)?
Old 15 Sep 2003, 12:45 (Ref:719505)   #20
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, the fact that JB has out qualified and out raced JV in most of this seasons GP's must mean something. If I was in his shoes I would go stop moaning, turn up to PR events and take a lower pay packet. He may then get a drive for 2004. If he digs his heels in, then he deserves to be driven out on a gravel trap tractor winch
Old 15 Sep 2003, 14:35 (Ref:719582)   #21
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Frankly, I think JV's behaviour this season has been little short of appalling. We've lurched from one toys-out-of the pram moment to another, and I for one am heartily tired of it. To wander round the paddock bad-mouthing your team and 'certain people' within it is unprofessional, pure and simple. If I were a team boss, I wouldn't employ Villeneuve next year if he offered to drive for free. I'd look for a driver who would work with and for the team, one who had some sense of what is appropriate and acceptable behaviour. I don't think that description fits Jacques Villeneuve at the moment.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 14:50 (Ref:719601)   #22
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Think we should give JV credit for the Monza performance.Whatever it is even if JB had finished JV would have come out on top as he was 2 places ahead of JB.

As for his future.... i doubt it'll be at BAR , unless he can dramatically turn it around( Can he do it??). i really cant see any one else because most of the other teams are either booked or looking for pay drivers.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 15:28 (Ref:719643)   #23
jackyo123
Rookie

jackyo123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately for JV, he ha's been whipped pretty badly by Button this year. JV said it himself - "if i cant beat button, i dont belong in F1."

Well, JV, time to pay the fiddler ...
Old 15 Sep 2003, 15:49 (Ref:719662)   #24
jackyo123
Rookie

jackyo123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

F1 will really be on its way down if a former WDC can't find a seat, especially with so many hacks present in the other teams. [/B]
This is kind of laughable - many 'former' f1 champions stayed past their sell-by date, Piquet, MAnsell, and Hill, just to name a few.

JV is a big-mouth - when you perform on the track, you can et away with slamming everybody and bad mouthing the world - when your teammate blows you away, it sounds like sour grapes

JV's career is over
Old 15 Sep 2003, 15:56 (Ref:719666)   #25
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yea TeddyG, but... you had Button down as a "hack" before this season, until you saw that his speed was roughly equivalent to JV's. So how many other drivers are there that are just as quick as JV and not as mouthy or expensive? A fair number in all likelihood.

I agree that it would be tragic to lose the only other WDC, but there again I think it is doubly tragic that a former WDC can't conduct himself in a way more befitting his status! I know he's calmed himself down as the season has gone on, but truly the damage has been done. He should have taken the pay cut and extended contract rather than setting himself up fighting against his team and team-mate. If he'd played ball in relation to his own contract I think Richards would have been much more on his side.