Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Feb 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1852664)   #1
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR Copying V8Supercar? (MERGED)

I mentioned in an earlier thread that NASCAR wanted to create "V8Supercar " series throughout the world. Most here thought it was a bit odd. Well it looks like they want to create "V8Supercar" roadracing series in other countries using their new COT car( a Tube framed copy of a V8Supercar). This is not about NASCAR the series , but how they want to start "V8Touring car " series outside the US and Canada. That does affect V8Supercar.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56869
Old 27 Feb 2007, 09:59 (Ref:1852667)   #2
Robert Ryan
Veteran

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5893522_7_3.jpg
http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/cot_blak_yella.jpg
Old 27 Feb 2007, 10:15 (Ref:1852677)   #3
venturi
Racer

Australia
venturi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridventuri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Robert ,

We all ready have a series over here like the one described above , it's called Sports Sedans

This idea that Nascar has that everyone in the world loves them and their series is , unfortunately , a little off track like some who believe that the world revolves around the U.S.A. .

Europe and Australia have great racing series and I can't see this having any affect on us down under or in Europe , it's all been tried before
Old 27 Feb 2007, 10:29 (Ref:1852688)   #4
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Europe and Australia have great racing series and I can't see this having any affect on us down under or in Europe , it's all been tried before
I hope you are right. I am not impressed with the blatant copying of the V8Supercar concept( with minor tweeks like tube frames and a spec engine). It must be 3-4 years ago I heard they were pretty impressed by the V8Supercar concept after being burned by the Japanese experiment of racing on Motegi's ovals..
Old 27 Feb 2007, 15:01 (Ref:1852899)   #5
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hhhmm, anyone checked Bob Janes passport stamps lately?
Old 27 Feb 2007, 15:38 (Ref:1852917)   #6
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see at all how it is 'blatant copying of V8 Supercar concepts' apart from the fact that it is proposed to have 4 wheels, a driver and races on a track. You're just using this as some vehicle to talk up Australian V8 Supercars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
Hhhmm, anyone checked Bob Janes passport stamps lately?
That'd be a 10 round series, all at Calder Park?
Old 27 Feb 2007, 16:45 (Ref:1852979)   #7
MotorSpy
Rookie

Australia
spying on you
MotorSpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 supercars new website exposed!!!!

v8supercar
Looks a bit NASCAR.
Get a look in before 6:00am AEDT
Old 27 Feb 2007, 19:15 (Ref:1853109)   #8
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8Star

Remember V8Star - only had a short run in Europe - shame Rodney Jane did not bring in the Jaguar - would have changed sports sedans locally.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 19:20 (Ref:1853111)   #9
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
I don't see at all how it is 'blatant copying of V8 Supercar concepts' apart from the fact that it is proposed to have 4 wheels, a driver and races on a track
I heard about the above several years ago and the fact they wanted a "V8Supercar" series. I guess NASCAR found there were not that many people who wanted to build $100 million dollar ovals outside the US.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 22:47 (Ref:1853312)   #10
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "new" website is messy. Its really just a changed skin of the existing site.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 23:33 (Ref:1853354)   #11
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "new" website is broken too - tipping doesnt work, I cant find the Regs for 2007 - if anyone has a direct link - can you post it up here please
Old 27 Feb 2007, 23:38 (Ref:1853359)   #12
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt that they would go to calder, the facilities wouldn't be upto the specs of what they are used to, and i presume they run under the fia so calder may need to get a cams track licence, again. I don't think it would take to much from V8 Supercars because it would utilise ovals. I don't know much about the 'new' NASCAR but Japan use high tech cars that are pretty radical for tin tops and Europe are the same...Would only leave them to go to the desert's, and they want F1 not ovals
Old 28 Feb 2007, 00:48 (Ref:1853402)   #13
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
I don't think it would take to much from V8 Supercars because it would utilise ovals. I don't know much about the 'new' NASCAR
I very much doubt Ovals are on the agenda as Brian France was talking about roadcourses when he was talking of NASCAR expansion outside the US. Yes Calder is a non-issue.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 09:56 (Ref:1853606)   #14
zac510
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett
I doubt that they would go to calder, the facilities wouldn't be upto the specs of what they are used to, and i presume they run under the fia so calder may need to get a cams track licence, again. I don't think it would take to much from V8 Supercars because it would utilise ovals. I don't know much about the 'new' NASCAR but Japan use high tech cars that are pretty radical for tin tops and Europe are the same...Would only leave them to go to the desert's, and they want F1 not ovals
My comment was quite tongue-in-cheek and referring to Bob Jane's relationship with CAMS.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 10:09 (Ref:1853621)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
I don't see at all how it is 'blatant copying of V8 Supercar concepts' apart from the fact that it is proposed to have 4 wheels, a driver and races on a track. You're just using this as some vehicle to talk up Australian V8 Supercars.
Spot on
Old 28 Feb 2007, 10:46 (Ref:1853657)   #16
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Spot on

DRT you let me down, I was having a side bet on how long it would take you to have a shot at your old friend and I lost. I had you down for last night, damn.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 11:22 (Ref:1853690)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure if agreeing with a post can be taken as having a shot
Old 28 Feb 2007, 18:59 (Ref:1853988)   #18
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
I had you down for last night, damn
Thanks , Sizzle...the other contributors have made some interesting comments.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 19:41 (Ref:1854017)   #19
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
Using their new COT car( a Tube framed copy of a V8Supercar).
That is entirely incorrect I am afraid.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 19:50 (Ref:1854027)   #20
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
That is entirely incorrect I am afraid.
You will find that it will be a modified version of the COT, for roadracing. Yes the V8Supercars had an effect on NASCAR designers. They wanted to get away from specialized chassis for individual tracks and a car that would be good on short and longer ovals as well as roadcourses., plus being safer than the current cars The fact that V8Supercars got a gig in China also impressed the NASCAR management. Also prior to this they were also the inspiration for the aborted all oval TRAC series, that would be using its own "COT", as it turned out the cars had Trans Am bodies not the V8Supercar like original concept of TRAC with EFI and Engine Management.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 28 Feb 2007 at 19:56.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 20:10 (Ref:1854044)   #21
Robert Ryan
Veteran

This is the pre COT ,TRAC car specifications, makes interesting reading, it was designed as safer more adaptable stockcar . The people involved were NASCAR veterans, one was Michael Kranefuss who was involved as a team manager for a Bathurst 1000 race.:
Quote:
General Specifications of the TRAC Stock Car:
Riley & Scott will wind-tunnel test cars for matching the drag/down force.
Riley & Scott will develop bodies with lift-off prevention systems.
Bodies will consist of a composite material.
Riley & Scott will build cars with a tubular steel chassis designed to be raced on multiple types of oval tracks.
TRAC will use sealed, fuel-injection engines.
Air Jacks will be integral to the car.

Riley & Scott will design cars with a digital dash read-out system and data acquisition.Riley & Scott will build cars to weigh approximately 2800 lbs.
Center lock wheel nuts with safety dogs

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 28 Feb 2007 at 20:17.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 20:28 (Ref:1854057)   #22
zac510
Veteran

That's pretty standard specification for any circuit/touring/sports racing car since the early 90s.
I think you're really clutching at straws when drawing comparisons between the two types of cars.

You suggest that V8SC has done something special to not require differing chassis for each track and so forth. I'm quite sure that if the V8SC teams had the tight competition, enormous sponsors, millions of viewers and huge budgets of NASCAR then they too would choose to use differing chassis from track to track. If you were auto engineering minded you might even like to read into the possibility that a different chassis configuration would be able to exploit the Dunlop control tyre more on certain circuits. Ultimately V8SC has not yet reached the regulatory problems that NASCAR has suffered due to being kept small by the small Australian economy. (Why didn't they go to China last year?).
Old 28 Feb 2007, 20:39 (Ref:1854063)   #23
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
That's pretty standard specification for any circuit/touring/sports racing car since the early 90s.
I think you're really clutching at straws when drawing comparisons between the two types of cars.
Difference is I have knowledge of some inside working at NASCAR..then they have never done anything that original, being pretty conservative as an organisation.
Quote:

Well it is a OVAL TRACK STOCKCAR, and it is Unique now as it was pretty radical then. Even the COT does have half the things listed.
Quote:
V8SC teams had the tight competition, enormous sponsors, millions of viewers and huge budgets of NASCAR then they too would choose to use differing chassis from track to track
There would be no reason too the aero differences on a roadcourse are reasonably consistent, not so on an oval. The COT can reduce teams budgets by reducing the chassis numbers required.
Quote:
Ultimately V8SC has not yet reached the regulatory problems that NASCAR has suffered due to being kept small by the small Australian economy
I cannot see what you mean..explain a bit more fully.
Quote:
If you were auto engineering minded you might even like to read into the possibility that a different chassis configuration would be able to exploit the Dunlop control tyre more on certain circuits.
No..it would be a waste of time, better to make the cars overall more competitive.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 28 Feb 2007 at 20:46.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 09:34 (Ref:1854423)   #24
D.R.T.
Veteran

Robert you have done well. This thread is a whole lot of noise and back patting without any substance. Lucky you were able to tell us you know someone inside Nascar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
Riley & Scott will build cars with a tubular steel chassis designed to be raced on multiple types of oval tracks.
Maybe I missed something, but has it been written anywhere that road courses will be used. All I am seeing is "multiple types of ovals"

Thanks
Old 1 Mar 2007, 09:57 (Ref:1854433)   #25
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe I missed something, but has it been written anywhere that road courses will be used. All I am seeing is "multiple types of ovals"
You well and truly have . The quote you use is about TRAC, the thread is about NASCAR's COT roadracing series. Keep your comments to the thread.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 1 Mar 2007 at 10:01.