Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Dec 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2994711)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
HRDC Race Day

Opening event for all the HRDC Series.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 17:35 (Ref:3053564)   #2
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking forward to seeing the HRDC series run at Combe on Monday.

Timetable http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/...ch%2012%20.pdf
Old 4 Apr 2012, 18:24 (Ref:3053614)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entries for the local series can be found here:

http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/...sp?EventID=365

Does anyone have the entries for the HRDC races??
Old 4 Apr 2012, 19:21 (Ref:3053659)   #4
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel View Post
Does anyone have the entries for the HRDC races??

Have just scanned in the entries for the HRDC races - see below.

An excellent entry list for the first of the season. Hopefully the sun will shine for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Castle Combe entries.jpg   Castle Combe entries 001.jpg  
Old 4 Apr 2012, 19:51 (Ref:3053673)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks for that. Some excellent entries and looking forward to it.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3053678)   #6
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you for posting the HRDC lists Brian, a cracking entry
Old 4 Apr 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3053755)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
really looking forward to this, haven't been to Cmbe since Arthur was in Nappies, 2006. when we where testing the water camping ( as opposed to B&B) and with offspring ( as opposed to relaxed, relatively solvent etc etc)

All that aside, it looks like being one of the better spring race meetings.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 05:12 (Ref:3053868)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sad to be missing this as it should be a belter, historic racing as we all remember it...
Old 6 Apr 2012, 20:09 (Ref:3054609)   #9
metalmicky
Rookie

metalmicky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dragging the studebaker down to combe .....lets hope the old bird makes the finish this time .
Old 7 Apr 2012, 08:07 (Ref:3054718)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
don't we all say that before the start Micky!

Does anyone know if there's mains hook ups in the paddock, been 5 years since I went to Combe. There was just gas lamps back then
Old 7 Apr 2012, 10:14 (Ref:3054759)   #11
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends whether you get into the paddock or end up on the grass a mile away. Arrive early to avoid disappointment!
Old 7 Apr 2012, 11:33 (Ref:3054784)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
just off to get the camper now!
Old 7 Apr 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3055072)   #13
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am up for this one, looks like a great start to the CC season.
Old 8 Apr 2012, 05:16 (Ref:3055163)   #14
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sad to say the weather doesn't look up to much. Have a safe time one and all! I hope you enjoy your Wiltshire sojourn.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 11:13 (Ref:3055753)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looking at the live timing I'd say your weather forecast was pretty accurate!
Old 9 Apr 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3055785)   #16
VFK44
Rookie

VFK44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be grateful for a link or scan of the HRDC race results later today!
Old 9 Apr 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3055816)   #17
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Here:
http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=club&...eventid=121568

Last edited by MGDavid; 9 Apr 2012 at 13:48.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 14:10 (Ref:3055822)   #18
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The weather here is exactly as predicted! I haven't ventured over to Combe today...
Old 9 Apr 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3055850)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I caught the early laps of Zef's race. IIRC he started 25th and was 6th on lap 1! Must be that V8 he's been messing around with.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 16:57 (Ref:3055890)   #20
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just returned from spectating at Castle Combe. Very wet & cold and windy. Standouts for the day were Tony Harvey wringing the neck of my old Alfa 2600 Sprint, climbing from 14th on the grid to finish eighth - sounded great. I had never seen it being raced - I was always in the driver's seat. It sounded brilliant on full throttle ! Saw Zeff doing his level best to throw the Ford off the track, but always in control (just) through Quarry.

James Wiseman (SZ Racer) did well in Practise, 8 secs faster than Paul Chase-Gardener in my old yellow Alfa SZ. To be fair, James has been driving his car a lot longer than Paul has his. A lot of good Alfa action, and Julius's grids were well-packed and full of variety .... if you wondered where the cars you used to see racing 20 years ago have gone .... they are here in HRDC. From my vantage point, driving standards looked pretty good.

I did not stay from the under-1500cc race at 4pm - overcome by general damp and cold. But a good day.
Nick
Old 9 Apr 2012, 18:49 (Ref:3055947)   #21
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
It was wet, very... and cold, which was a bit of a shame. But some excellent car control showings, and everyone behaved well enough for the event to finish on schedule.

Roll on the summer.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 21:34 (Ref:3056070)   #22
brands
Veteran

Shame about the weather as CC and HRDC deserved a bigger crowd.
Some great car control shown during the races, pity about the 3 car shunt at the exit of Quarry during the pre 60 Touring cars qually.

I hope to post some photos later in the week.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 07:41 (Ref:3056213)   #23
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it was VERY wet and VERY slippery on the track. It meant a lot of fun on the track and a bit cold and miserable off it. Really good grids and some great racing. I had an absolute blast in the TC63 race. The rain levelled things out a lot which meant being able to get in amongst the Jags. Pretty exciting at the start with cars three abreast on full oppo at Quarry........then just tried to keep it on the island - managed that, despite some hairy moments in the traffic and just kept Chris Scragg's MK2 Jag behind for 3rd after Alistair Dysons Cortina GT hit the wall.

Some great driving in other races with cars coming out of Camp onto the straight crossed up in full power slides. Especially impressed with a big red Healey in the GTS65 race (Campfield?).

Great meeting despite the weather - well done and thanks Julius.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 08:51 (Ref:3056246)   #24
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have just dried out from helping / spectating at a persistently wet Castle Combe, but as others have said, even the best efforts of the weather couldn't dampen the spirit of the meeting

Looks like Julius has done it again
Old 10 Apr 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3056321)   #25
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What fun!

I'm sure others will sum up things more succintly than me but, boy, what a season opener! Other than Mallory, last year Julius was blessed with sunshine throughout the season so I guess we've been lucky.

Jason was out in the Aurelia and me in the little Abarth. Practice was treacherous and both of us agree that we've never been on a track with such lack of grip - oil was seeping from within and entry, mid point and exit of every corner was terrifying not helped by one or two people over driving their cars and causing a couple of near misses. Sadly there were one or two cars damaged at a particularly bad Camp corner but I think all were out for the race. Jason drove in his usual smooth style and lined up 3rd in class and 14th overall (out of 35) and I was surprised to get a second in class and 25th overall.

Thankfully Julius had the Strawford centre that we and our supporters could camp to and this meant great viewing of our fellow racers. Zef was sideways but finished very well and I hear the pre-65 GT race was one not to be missed (sadly we did).

The rain by this time was heavier but there were reports that despite the standing water, the track was less slippery. As 5.30pm came we were lined up and before we knew it the lights were off. Now I have a secret weapon called a rear engine and boy did it work! That and being very narrow meant I found some great gaps and got past a few cars. It was an eventful race for me - standing water, huge slides (I would call them power slides but we're talking about the Abarth!), being overtaken under waved yellows, a starter failure at the pit stop and some helpful chap bumping me (thanks so much) then seeing my fellow Abarth class mate up ahead and taking risks to hunt him down (in the end not needed as sadly he suffered a misfire). By the end of the 45 minutes I was soaking, could barely see out of the car (fogged up) but shaking with delight as the car was a joy to drive.

Meanwhile Jason survived a fuel air lock in the assembly area (thankfully he switched to the secondary system) and then had a very racy race and easy pit stop. He was coming up to lap me at the end and it's a shame we didn't go over the line together although that might have upset my little car... In the end Jason came a well driven scond in class and 10th overall again proving how great the Aurelia handles in every condition and I managed to snatch a class win and 19th overall.

Thanks and a debt of gratitude must go to the marshals who sent the entire day in quite miserable conditions. Thanks also to Julius for again showing the way in terms of club racing - the prize giving is always fun and the trophies utterly unique. Well done to the drivers in all races - most drove incredibly sensibly for the conditions but still managed to put on a great show. Lastly, a massive thanks to Jason for preparing 2 lovely cars which have given us so much fun.

Sounds a bit like the Oscars now so I'll stop while the going's good!