Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Oct 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2767930)   #201
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Briggs Cunninghams transporter - very nice deco style.....

http://forix.autosport.com/8w/transp...twin-coach.jpg
Old 28 Jun 2011, 18:50 (Ref:2907533)   #202
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just stumbled across this gallery - 3 or 4 pages of beautiful old transporters
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loudpop...age74/?view=md
Old 28 Jun 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2907663)   #203
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reminds me that I should drop in on these guys not far from me and see how they're getting on with their projects... visited the premises about 2 years ago and they had a very cool MAN transporter in progress. Wouldn't be surprised if they had a hand in the Merc above spotted last year...

http://www.berlin-classics.de/transporters.html
Old 5 Jul 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2922428)   #204
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I was wondering if a Mr S HAdfield may be in the V5 History . . . or whether an S Drabble soomn will be! ;-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1968-MK1-F...item1e6450d7cc
Old 5 Jul 2011, 20:53 (Ref:2922512)   #205
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I was wondering if a Mr S HAdfield may be in the V5 History . . . or whether an S Drabble soomn will be! ;-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1968-MK1-FORD-TRANSIT-ROVER-V8-CUSTOMISED-VAN-/130532038604?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1e6450d7cc
It wants a lot of work done to finish it and that's what takes the most time.
If all else fails it'll weigh in for a couple of hundred quid
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Jul 2011, 21:20 (Ref:2922528)   #206
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
very generous Gordon, I didn't realise used pug and GRP was that valuable!
Old 6 Jul 2011, 00:47 (Ref:2922605)   #207
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A friend of mine has just finished building this Mk2 Transit van, a replica of one of the service barges used in the 1970's by the NZ based Masport team. Packs a 302 V8 and 5 speed, and runs on 15" Minilites.

Old 6 Jul 2011, 06:57 (Ref:2922680)   #208
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Now that's a winner!

you need a twin wheel trailer for towing at 70+ though
Old 6 Jul 2011, 10:41 (Ref:2922759)   #209
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Now that's a winner!

you need a twin wheel trailer for towing at 70+ though
I disagree! I towed my M3 race car behind my old Daf 400 V8 van on a nicely balanced single axle trailer. Rock steady, even at 100mph!
Old 6 Jul 2011, 15:24 (Ref:2922898)   #210
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw this Mk1 Transit transporter at a local show the other week. The cab and chassis were excellent but I thought the aluminium tilt bed a little too modern. Would be ideal for carrying a 105E or similiar.

CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 6 Jul 2011, 19:11 (Ref:2922999)   #211
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Saw this Mk1 Transit transporter at a local show the other week. The cab and chassis were excellent but I thought the aluminium tilt bed a little too modern. Would be ideal for carrying a 105E or similiar.

Hmm. A V6 front end.

Don't remember ever seeing a V6 chassis/cab back in the day.

What was under the hood?
Old 6 Jul 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2923004)   #212
brown dog
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Hmm. A V6 front end.

What was under the hood?
That bullnose was originally made for the diesel engined version
Old 6 Jul 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2923008)   #213
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hmm. A V6 front end.

What was under the hood?
We had one with a dropside body on it although I don't think it had that front.

Last edited by Tim Falce; 6 Jul 2011 at 19:48.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 19:39 (Ref:2923014)   #214
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Chassis cab/ diesel front /V6 engine, That was standard for a lot of short circuit boys in the 70s !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Jul 2011, 19:51 (Ref:2923021)   #215
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Chassis cab/ diesel front /V6 engine, That was standard for a lot of short circuit boys in the 70s !
Ah! Had forgotten about the diesel. Mostly saw petrol back then as I recall.
Old 7 Jul 2011, 07:24 (Ref:2923159)   #216
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hmm. A V6 front end.

What was under the hood?
Never saw the owner to ask unfortunately, however, the same 'meet' is on tonight so if the weather is ok maybe I'll pop along see if its there again.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 7 Jul 2011, 08:18 (Ref:2923172)   #217
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
If it was a diesel it would have been that abomination the York that was so bad Ford bought out 'Cold start kit' that consisted of a can of Easy Start under the bonnet in a special holder with a pipe going from that into the air filter all activated by a piece of string that went into the cab. I know this as I used to own a lovely Ford Granada Mk 1 Estate fitted with one of these horrors of an engine and an overdrive gearbox. Once it was running it was a great tow vehicle.
Old 7 Jul 2011, 08:53 (Ref:2923181)   #218
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey! Watch it, Al. Nothing called 'York' can be that bad!
Old 7 Jul 2011, 10:01 (Ref:2923207)   #219
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Except perhaps A/C compressors....
Old 7 Jul 2011, 12:32 (Ref:2923266)   #220
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
And LWB van with the same engine / front panel combo was a popular choice for us (then) rallyists.....when I fitted the 3.0 V6 into mine to replace the 2.0 V4 it made a world of difference as a tow/service-barge - only dropped the average fuel consumption from 15mpg or so to about 12.......increased the average speed by a much greater factor
Old 7 Jul 2011, 12:53 (Ref:2923277)   #221
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
And LWB van with the same engine / front panel combo was a popular choice for us (then) rallyists.....when I fitted the 3.0 V6 into mine to replace the 2.0 V4 it made a world of difference as a tow/service-barge - only dropped the average fuel consumption from 15mpg or so to about 12.......increased the average speed by a much greater factor
I think the standard V6 petrol was 2.5 ltrs.

One that I drove had overdrive and a mechanical ABS system for the rear brakes.

It went well when new but seemed troubled after a trip to Spain, towing, and a tank or more of what was then poor quality fuel in Spain. That and being thrashed all the way back in less than 24 hours probably didn't help it at all.
Old 7 Jul 2011, 17:15 (Ref:2923368)   #222
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
If it was a diesel it would have been that abomination the York that was so bad Ford bought out 'Cold start kit' that consisted of a can of Easy Start under the bonnet in a special holder with a pipe going from that into the air filter all activated by a piece of string that went into the cab. .
One of my mates had one for light delivery that got really bad to start, in the end he used to leave it on a hill about a mile from his house bike home and bike back in the morning, it kept him fit though !
Old 8 Jul 2011, 06:01 (Ref:2923537)   #223
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I remember a hill was the best place to leave most blue oval's in those years.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 12:09 (Ref:2923644)   #224
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

When petrol was 5 gallons for a pound
Old 8 Jul 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2923764)   #225
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Cann View Post
When petrol was 5 gallons for a pound
Yes Rikki but I was only earning a few bob a week unlike you rich Aston boys