Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Mar 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1244585)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Giancarlo - finally in the car he needs?

I was going to entitle this thread something along the lines of "come and get your piece of humble pie", but as a mod, I'm supposed to be 'above' that kind of behaviour

In any case, many in the past here have criticized Giancarlo - I could dig up various threads in which he has been dismissed as washed up, not talented enough to compete in a top level team, etc... There were many of his supporters who abandoned him last year when he was outgunned by Massa in the first couple of races...

In any case, are we all convinced now that Giancarlo finally has the right car to deliver the goods, and that he'll be on the top step consistently this year?
Old 6 Mar 2005, 15:48 (Ref:1244590)   #2
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Once a Nice Guy wins in style, Well done Fizzy
Old 6 Mar 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1244600)   #3
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IM You have probably summed up F1 - and many other 'profile' single seater series - without realising it.
Success is almost totally car related, with the driver being incidental. The old 'put TGF in a Minardi and he'll come last, or pluck a white van driver from any town and stick him in a Ferrari and he'll walk the championship argument.
TT is full of threads praising, or criticising, drivers, but their success or failure is down to the car underneath them.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1244601)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not sure I agree diz. To a certain extent what you say is true, but look at DC in the Mac for the last 10 years... Sorry DC supporters
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1244612)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Giancarlo Fisichella=A VERY talented and extreemly nice human being, driving a great race car.. I am really happy for him

Last edited by JeremySmith; 6 Mar 2005 at 16:16.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1244614)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For the prediction competition I picked Giancarlo for 3rd in the title, at first I thought it would be very unlikely but now, it's certainly acheivable.
I also think Giancarlo win a few other races, without doubt.
This could be a great rivalry between Fisichella and Alonso, I'm sure they're both in contention for the title.
Simialr to Montoya and the ice man.

Last edited by luke; 6 Mar 2005 at 16:15.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1244619)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm extremely happy for Giancarlo to finally be given his chance in a really good car and team!
Fisi for WDC!
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1244620)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clearly its a combination of both car and driver, but today proved that Fisi, given the chance, can drive the perfect race and beat anyone. DC has unfortunately proven the reverse, given the right car he can't beat everybody.

Giancarlo has never been in a sharp-end car before. Of course he didn't have the opportunity to shine. But his previous win, in appalling condidtions that mitigated the advantages some driver's enjoyed through there cars, signalled his talent while driven an absolute sledge dragging an anchor.

Bravo I say, and I hope its the first of many. Melbourne was a smooth, dominant unflurried drive. Fisi was the consumate pro and a Gentleman as well.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1244626)   #9
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not totally convinced of Fissi's apparent speed.
I used to think him a sure fire champ but that last few years we've seen a few situations where he's looked rather weak compared to team mates

Overall a great little driver that may (perhaps) be inconsistant.
I certainly won't begrudge him his place in a top car though!! He's deserved it for years!
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1244632)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very pleased for Fisi....almost cruised to victory...it is one thing to have a bit of luck but another to take advantage...
I was very happy seeing Fisi's name on top and seeing him on the top step and i had to rub my eyes to make sure that it had happened...i guess he has been so unlucky over the years..not getting the drives he deserved that it just took time to sink in that it has finally gone right for him.....

Cmon Fisi for WDC...
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1244638)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
After 2003 I doubted Fisi. But he showed what we all knew he had during 2004 (after a slow start) and now he finally has a race winning car under him.

Best of luck Fisi. We need a new champ, and you'd be well worthy.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:38 (Ref:1244643)   #12
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Fisi will continue to do well in the Renault. The rivalry with Alonso will push both of them. I think he knows how to deal with Flavio's games if it comes to that as well.

It remains to be seen if he is WDC material but clearly he is very good.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1244646)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We do seem to be forgetting about Alonso here though, we must admit. He was as impressive as Fisi today, but was unlucky to meet the Villeneuve Roadblocks inc.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1244669)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Both Renault drivers looked extremely impressive today, and while it's too early to draw any conclusions as to which will be the leader within the team, we can safely say that both are on form. Giancarlo made great use of his opportunity and never looked likely to lose the race. I always wanted to see what he could do in a good car, and he really earnt the chance with his form last season.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1244732)   #15
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After telling all my mates to bet on Fisi, I am blimin' gutted that I didn't take my own advice! I do have a bet on of 50-1 for Fisi WDC though.

The way that Alonso charged back was pretty awesome - I expected the tyres to be more marginal than that though, so in another race maybe that kind of driving would cost him.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:28 (Ref:1244745)   #16
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Alonso was quick, for sure. But then again Giancarlo was never really challenged, so did not have to push. I notice that Giancarlo's fastest lap was lap 55, but Alonso's was only lap 24 - so I suspect Alonso's tyres may have been going off at the end. In the interview Giancarlo said his tyres were fine at the end.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1244748)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Glen......I put a tenner on Fisi winning at 16/1!

I am a happy man.

I very nearly chickened out of it!
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1244759)   #18
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have waited 8 years to see fisi get a car his talent deserves and i think this renault could well be it. his luck was most definately in this weekend and i dont think he could have lost if he tried. a team mate like alonso will really push him this year more so than any team mate in the past - i look forward to seeing what i believe to be the strongest pairing in f1 take on the field and hopefully come out on top. i desparately hope to see more of the same from fisi in races to come.