Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Mar 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1551347)   #1
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not yet sold on Ferrari

I've been reviewing the first race results and I must say I'm still a little skeptical about whether Ferrari is back or not.

Now I'd like to point out that I am a Schumi fan and hope he wins the championship so this isn't coming from a hater, but consider this...

On qualifying:

The new format makes it much more difficult to sort out who has the fastest car. I know they took the entire front row, but I think they did the best job of all of the teams of timing out their runs so the car was at the optimal tire / fuel point right at the very end. Plus with Kimi out of the picture, its hard to know how that would have played. It will be interesting to see if other teams adjust their strategy tonight.

On the race itself:

It was clear to me that after the first stint, Alonso was faster. Schumi had a reasonable lead on somewhat less fuel after the first stint but in listening to comments after the race, I get the feeling that everyone assumed that Schumi had started on a very light load and I believe Alonso was saving his tires and engine for when Shumi pitted and he had clean air. I think Renault was surprised that Schumacher stayed out as long as he did.

In the second and third stints, Alonso was his usual 'as quick as he needs to be' self and even though he was stuck in some pretty serious back marker traffic which cost him quite a bit of time, he still managed to just barely get out in front. From that point on, it didn't appear that Schumi could really pressure him despite the fact that he was running on warm tires compared to Alonso's cold tires.

And then there's Kimi. What will happen when he doesn't have a mechanical failure knocking him to the back row?

I still get the sense that its once again a 2 man race between Kimi and Alonso where reliability will probably be as big a factor as speed.

I just hope I'm wrong. A pole and 30 second win by Schumi would alleviate my concerns.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1551372)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I think Renault certainly have the edge on Ferrari, but I am unclear with regards Mclaren.

I would say Bahrain certainly didn't show Ferrari to be right up there on the ultiamte pace, but it did show that the package is thereabouts.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1551388)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
As much as it pains me to say it, but it looks like Ferrari will get lots of wins this year. With their resources, they can only improve the car. They already have a very quick car, after a few months development, they will have a grid killer.

I wonder whats going to happen regarding these rear wings however...?
Old 17 Mar 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1551391)   #4
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well lamp -- Although ferrari is not back to the degree they were a few years ago -- they're certainly closing in -- Also, I think Honda is moving slowly but surely toward powerhouse status -- this is going to be a great year because there are possibly four teams that could win this thing.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1551394)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I would add Williams to that list.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1551398)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think Williams can hack the pace, which means they are going to struggle to remain where they are (let alone advance).

If Bridgestone made a big gain, well, then it is a possibility.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1551402)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Aero gains will be much easier to find than engine power.And Cosworth seem to have the upper hand there.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1551405)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Well, one intepretation of that could mean it will be easier for the other teams to advance their engines than Cosworth (the gap can only reduce).
Old 17 Mar 2006, 19:45 (Ref:1551406)   #9
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'd say Ferrari are about there. Michael was able to pull away from Alonso in the first stint of Bahrain, But I guess we won't really know if that was just a one off till after 2 or 3 more races.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1551410)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
The extensive testing they did in Bahrain prior to the race must've made a difference, but how much is another matter.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1551413)   #11
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well . they are looking well so far in Sepang too . with Massa just behind Alonso .. so it's not bad pace wise .. it seems they have some engine problems .. but those might go away arriving in Europe ..

Ciao Marco
Old 17 Mar 2006, 21:55 (Ref:1551493)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Uhm... is there a GP this weekend??
Old 17 Mar 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1551510)   #13
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No - it's next week-end ASCII Man. Off you go - back to sleep - sweet dreams! (keep quiet ya'll- let him dream on!!).

Lots of ponderables here Lampcord and I agree with most of your observations. Methinks it is going to take a couple more races to sort out the men from the boys this season.

My instinct though, is that this years championship will go to the driver/team with the best stratergy, from beginning to end.

Good thread
Old 17 Mar 2006, 22:45 (Ref:1551515)   #14
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry - double post!
Old 18 Mar 2006, 00:49 (Ref:1551602)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
As much as it pains me to say it, but it looks like Ferrari will get lots of wins this year. With their resources, they can only improve the car. They already have a very quick car, after a few months development, they will have a grid killer.

I wonder whats going to happen regarding these rear wings however...?
They do and they will... Nothing is going to happen...why because there is not a wing problem
Old 18 Mar 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1551904)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm quite cynical about how truly competitive Ferrari are right now. Alonso didn't really shoot for pole in Bahrain and was still close, making full use of his extra tyres in race conditions. They had an advantage from having tested there beforehand as well. Based on Bahrain and Malaysia qualifying, I'd say the top 5 are fairly close, with Renault slightly ahead. and Honda probably behind Ferari/McLaren/Williams based on their overall performance.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1551919)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They are there-ish....but not class leaders by any stretch.

This, however, is a major improvement on last year!
Old 18 Mar 2006, 16:18 (Ref:1551924)   #18
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
but i belive they have a big margin of improvement .. not sure about the others. .
we'll see .. they look like they want to stay as close as possible to the leaders for now ..

Ciao Marco
Old 18 Mar 2006, 17:30 (Ref:1551978)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink69
I'd say Ferrari are about there. Michael was able to pull away from Alonso in the first stint of Bahrain,
I put this down to 2 things...
  • 1. Alonso carrying 5 more laps of fuel than Michael
  • 2. Massa spinning in front of Alonso, delaying him by a second or so
Old 18 Mar 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1551981)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I'd say the top 5 are fairly close, with Renault slightly ahead. and Honda probably behind Ferari/McLaren/Williams based on their overall performance.
I reckon the Honda is infront of the Williams, on a par with Ferrari and behind Renault and McLaren in terms of race pace.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1551987)   #21
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
I put this down to 2 things...
  • 1. Alonso carrying 5 more laps of fuel than Michael
  • 2. Massa spinning in front of Alonso, delaying him by a second or so

but those two things . aren't correct ..
it was 4 laps .
and 1 =/= 5 . Michael had 5 seconds over Alonso when he pitted ..

Ciao Marco
Old 18 Mar 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1551995)   #22
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Renault and McLaren have the best cars at the moment, closely folowed by Ferrari, Williams and Honda. But at least there are many teams challenging for the win at any given race and I hope the season will be very interesting!!