Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Aug 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1687683)   #51
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Melbourne and Fort Lauderdale
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
This is wierd,my friend had a cat called Ukyo!
My college roommate had a python named Ukyo! Fact is stranger than fiction.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 20:00 (Ref:1687690)   #52
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Snakes,cats and fish,what does it all mean.Apart from the fact that we are way off topic.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1687698)   #53
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Snakes,cats and fish,what does it all mean.Apart from the fact that we are way off topic.

It means this thread will close or you guys can be sent to the void.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1687736)   #54
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
1. Senna
2. Schumacher
3. Prost
4. Alesi
5. Mansell
Old 20 Aug 2006, 22:47 (Ref:1687782)   #55
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. Gilles Villeneuve
2. Alain Prost
3. Ronnie Petersen
4. Alan Jones
5 Niki Lauda
Old 20 Aug 2006, 23:11 (Ref:1687791)   #56
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
It means this thread will close or you guys can be sent to the void.
Daddy, Martyn started it!
Old 21 Aug 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1687971)   #57
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, Rex, I somehow ommitted both Senna and Ascari, not to mention Rindt, Revson, Amon...

And I am not "old," by the way. I prefer to look at it as "Right-aged."

Thank you, please.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 09:02 (Ref:1687983)   #58
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
A purely personal list in histerical order:

1.Yuji Ide
2.Taki Inouie
3.Jean DeLatrez
4.Ricardo Rosset
5.Tarso Marques

Excellent interview with unsung hero. http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?T...al&PO_ID=37026
What about Yoong?

Is Warwick the guy Senna vetoed as a teammate?

Here is my list:

1) J. Villeneuve
2) M. Schumacher
3) Montoya
4) Speed
5) Coulthard

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 21 Aug 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1688234)   #59
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy

Is Warwick the guy Senna vetoed as a teammate?
Yes,Senna,and others like him (),were prone to their "Teddy out of the cot" moments.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1688330)   #60
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Yes,Senna,and others like him (),were prone to their "Teddy out of the cot" moments.
Translation, please?
Old 22 Aug 2006, 02:45 (Ref:1688436)   #61
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can you clarify, MB?

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 22 Aug 2006, 08:41 (Ref:1688543)   #62
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
In the time I've been avidly following F1:

Ayrton Da Senna Da Silva - the boss. Period.

JPM - best natural talent tio burst onto scene since Senna (ok unfulfilled thereafter) and unrivalled for sheer audacity in overtaking moves.

Johnny Herbert - still did wonders inspite of massive injuries in 3000 which suggests if he hadn't have had that crash he would have been WDC for sure.

JJ Lehto - a character and was unfortunate not to get the right drive sooner, think he may have stood up well to Schuey at Benetton if he hadn't have broken his neck testing.

Alice Zanardi - an old fashoned charger who lost his edge somewhere and one of the nicest down to earth blokes ever to grace an F1 seat!

Gilles died just as I really got interested so I missed out there but otherwise i'd definitely include him. Other special mentions to drivers who caught my attention through some manouevre or other are: Mansell, Keijo Rosberg, Alesi, Hakkinen, J Villeneuve, Alonso, Raikkonen,
Old 22 Aug 2006, 08:54 (Ref:1688551)   #63
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gilles Villeneuve
Keke Rosberg
Ronnie Peterson
Jean Alesi
Alan Jones

My favourites, but possibly not the best.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 11:26 (Ref:1688643)   #64
daniel1985
Rookie

daniel1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Michael Schumacher (Love him for his talent, attitude, controversy and the fact that he tends not to care about what people think about him. Let's face it he has been the man of F1 for well over a decade, an absolute superstar)
2. Mark Webber
3. Jack Brabham
4. Ayrton Senna
5. Rubens Barrichelo (great character)

Last edited by daniel1985; 22 Aug 2006 at 11:30.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 12:10 (Ref:1688679)   #65
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think I'm gonna do mine based on a combination of two things :

o How little lethargy I felt when they won... let's face it, ever race in the 1980s was a Prost-fest or a Senna-fest and we would always wanna see variety among the winners.

o How upset I was [will be] when/if they left the scene. Senna's and Gilles Villeneuve's departures were a shocks... not having Rene Arnoux around was pretty sad.

So here goes :

1. Keke Rosberg. When his McLaren was fitted with a boost adjuster, he just turned it to MAX on the grid and drove the nuts off the thing until it blew up. Probably even wilder than Gilles, full of surprises and fantastic every time out.

2. Rene Arnoux. Political correctness was not in his vocabulary. He was as maverick as they came and could drive the wheels of a bedstead. He was always in the wrong team at the wrong time and could have been much more successful than he was. Never missed an opportunity to entertain on the track.

3. Michael Schumacher. In 10 years time when our glasses are more rose tinted we will be looking back at him the way we are now with Senna... but with a higher level of reverence. I used to hate the guy in the late 1990s, but his hunger for wins today is as insatiable as its ever been as evidenced out by his incredible drive to the abiss on treadless rubber in Hungary a few weeks back. If he retires this year... he will be doing so peerless. There's still no-one to touch him.

4. James Hunt. He epitomized what most people's stereotypical racing driver was. He ends up sleeping with a woman journalist sent to interview him and punching a marshall at Monaco when they tried to help him off the track. His time with Alexander Hesketh yielded one of the greatest miracle wins in F1 ever in Zandvoort... rumor has it the celebration party's still going and James is still at it.

5. Martin Donnelly. I still believe he was one of the greatest talents to come from Ireland. His 1983 Irish FF2000 championship win was beyond belief [he effectively won the series twice having forfeited his points mid-year] and I was sure there and then he would not only make it to F1, but be incredibly successful there. He didn't get the chance and it all came to an untimely end during that horrific practice crash. But at least Martin's still alive, which is more than can be said for some of the great heros of our sport.

Last edited by davyboy; 22 Aug 2006 at 12:12.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1688699)   #66
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think Martyn was referring to "throwing your toys out of the pram" whilst speaking of the "teddy moment."

Of course, I could be completely wrong.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1688708)   #67
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Special Mention For Four Heros Of 1976

Hero is a word that is often misused by the media. A hero is person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life.

On August 1, 1976, when leading the WDC, Niki Lauda crashed at the Nurburing during the German Grand Prix. Two following drivers - Harald Ertl and Brett Lunger - hit Lauda's wrecked car. Two other drivers avoided the accident and stopped - Guy Edwards and Arturio Merzario.

It took the combined efforts of Ertl, Lunger, Edwards, and Merzario to pull Lauda from his burning car. Guy Edwards was awarded a Queen's Gallantry Medal for his bravery.

Lauda received last rites and was not expected to live. However, he sat out several Grands Prix and despite constant pain, contested the remaining races in 1976. Under impossible rain conditions, Lauda pulled into the pits and withdrew from the season ending Japanese Grand Prix, giving James Hunt his hollow WDC by one-point.

I salute these four unsung heros of F1:
  1. Harald Ertl
  2. Brett Lunger
  3. Guy Edwards
  4. Arturio Merzario

For the BBC's perspective on this horrible accident, see:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2526869.stm
Old 22 Aug 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1688712)   #68
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
I think Martyn was referring to "throwing your toys out of the pram" whilst speaking of the "teddy moment."

Of course, I could be completely wrong.
No,you're completely right.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1688719)   #69
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Judicata
Hero is a word that is often misused by the media. A hero is person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life.

On August 1, 1976, when leading the WDC, Niki Lauda crashed at the Nurburing during the German Grand Prix. Two following drivers - Harald Ertl and Brett Lunger - hit Lauda's wrecked car. Two other drivers avoided the accident and stopped - Guy Edwards and Arturio Merzario.

It took the combined efforts of Ertl, Lunger, Edwards, and Merzario to pull Lauda from his burning car. Guy Edwards was awarded a Queen's Gallantry Medal for his bravery.

Lauda received last rites and was not expected to live. However, he sat out several Grands Prix and despite constant pain, contested the remaining races in 1976. Under impossible rain conditions, Lauda pulled into the pits and withdrew from the season ending Japanese Grand Prix, giving James Hunt his hollow WDC by one-point.

1. Harald Ertl
  2. Brett Lunger
  3. Guy Edwards
  4. Arturio Merzario
That is brilliant. Well said Rex, that is magnificent, and I say that in all seriousness.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 22 Aug 2006, 13:32 (Ref:1688742)   #70
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
That is brilliant. Well said Rex, that is magnificent, and I say that in all seriousness.
Thank you!
Old 22 Aug 2006, 13:34 (Ref:1688744)   #71
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
No,you're completely right.
Ok, we're almost home now. Why does someone throw their toys out of the boat?
Old 22 Aug 2006, 13:45 (Ref:1688756)   #72
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
  1. Harald Ertl
  2. Brett Lunger
  3. Guy Edwards
  4. Arturio Merzario
Along with David Purley, Mike Hailwood, James Hunt & any other driver or marshal who has atempted to get a driver out of a burning car
Old 22 Aug 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1688802)   #73
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juan Pablo Montoya
Ayrton Senna
Sir Jackie Stewart
Jacques Villeneuve
Michele Alboreto
Old 22 Aug 2006, 15:23 (Ref:1688826)   #74
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

1. Harald Ertl
  2. Brett Lunger
  3. Guy Edwards
  4. Arturio Merzario

I've got Autosport from 5th August 1976 open in front of me here and am reading Pete Lyons' report of the German GP from the previous weekend. Brett Lunger in the Campari Surtees did the bulk of the work to get Lauda out, grabbing him by the shoulders in what sounds more like the scene from a disaster event. Its a stark reminder of the dangers of motor-sport and just how lethal it was 30 years ago.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1688833)   #75
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
I've got Autosport from 5th August 1976 open in front of me here and am reading Pete Lyons' report of the German GP from the previous weekend. Brett Lunger in the Campari Surtees did the bulk of the work to get Lauda out, grabbing him by the shoulders in what sounds more like the scene from a disaster event. Its a stark reminder of the dangers of motor-sport and just how lethal it was 30 years ago.
I was at Monza a couple of races later when Lauda returned to racing. It's absolutely amazing he how managed to get back so soon and take the championship to the last race.