Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Feb 2015, 08:17 (Ref:3503563)   #51
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed on all points!
Old 10 Feb 2015, 08:28 (Ref:3503569)   #52
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Sportscar racing really needs a Sky F1 style TV package - imagine being able to choose which class battle you want to watch and follow it as and when you want.
Old 10 Feb 2015, 08:42 (Ref:3503579)   #53
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The technology exists and perhaps we will see it soon especially if the popularity of WEC continues to grow
Old 10 Feb 2015, 12:54 (Ref:3503651)   #54
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
People are funny, even silly ... so long as they keep buying enough tickets that racing can survive, I will tolerate people.

That's where club racing wins again. No one buys any tickets and it still survives
Old 10 Feb 2015, 23:28 (Ref:3503794)   #55
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I went to Le Tour and Le Mans last year

When watching Le Tour no one seemed interested in the racing they were all just saying how brilliant they were for watching this rather than going to a Velodrome which was no where near as good.
This comment seemed very appropriate to me: on my way to Sweden for the WRC at the moment, and I'd never made that connection to road cycling before.
Old 11 Feb 2015, 00:32 (Ref:3503807)   #56
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I just like racing in general. When nothing is on I even watch Nascar There shouldnt be a "versus", there should be enough love for each to go around.
Old 11 Feb 2015, 02:25 (Ref:3503833)   #57
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Sportscar racing really needs a Sky F1 style TV package - imagine being able to choose which class battle you want to watch and follow it as and when you want.
Now I think being able to choose whether to follow LMP1 or GTE would be enough to satisfy me. Anymore and I'd have to lecture you about how we can't have nice things...
Old 11 Feb 2015, 07:34 (Ref:3503887)   #58
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
It is good that not everyone agrees about racing otherwise we would have no choice
Old 11 Feb 2015, 12:31 (Ref:3503955)   #59
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
Have you looked at the F1 rulebook?

It's been quite while since I have, but I remember it regulates engine displacement, number of cylinders, "V" angle, bore spacing, engine length, engine minimum weight, and even engine C of G height!

Why does this really matter. Do you really think that the number of cylinders and their placement are the real research issues perplexing the engineers of road-relevant cars? What really matters is what really goes _inside_ each cylinder, the cylinder head, as well as inside the batteries and the rest of the energy recuperation systems. The number of cylinders is truly inconsequential. I am totally agree with the poster who mentioned that while being fairly open series, architecturally speaking, LMP1 relies on the subjective BoP rules to actually keep the cars on the same pace. And so as I watch the race, it's always in my mind, why invest in the best technology, why invest lots of money at all if the subjective BoP rules are going to bring the cars to the same pace?
Old 11 Feb 2015, 12:58 (Ref:3503962)   #60
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Why does this really matter. Do you really think that the number of cylinders and their placement are the real research issues perplexing the engineers of road-relevant cars? What really matters is what really goes _inside_ each cylinder, the cylinder head, as well as inside the batteries and the rest of the energy recuperation systems. The number of cylinders is truly inconsequential. I am totally agree with the poster who mentioned that while being fairly open series, architecturally speaking, LMP1 relies on the subjective BoP rules to actually keep the cars on the same pace. And so as I watch the race, it's always in my mind, why invest in the best technology, why invest lots of money at all if the subjective BoP rules are going to bring the cars to the same pace?
LMP1 doesn't rely on BoP. It's clearly defined in the regulations how much fuel you get allocated, based on fuel and hybrid class. Think of it like the turbo/NA equivalence rules F1 had in the past.
Old 11 Feb 2015, 13:09 (Ref:3503965)   #61
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
What's LMP?
Old 11 Feb 2015, 14:15 (Ref:3503987)   #62
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
Mt. Lynx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LawnMower Prototype...
Old 11 Feb 2015, 14:50 (Ref:3503996)   #63
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
For those of us that like cars LMP is a thousand times better than F1. The racing of the 2014 season was also a thousand times better.
Old 11 Feb 2015, 16:12 (Ref:3504012)   #64
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Why does this really matter. Do you really think that the number of cylinders and their placement are the real research issues perplexing the engineers of road-relevant cars? What really matters is what really goes _inside_ each cylinder, the cylinder head, as well as inside the batteries and the rest of the energy recuperation systems. The number of cylinders is truly inconsequential.
That's just an example. The rulebook also says the car has to have not more or fewer than four wheels. All sorts of dimensions are regulated in detail. Now they are regulating how many gear ratios a team can use. They spend million$ on aero, but they are regulating how many gear ratios they can use? Back in the 1960's when F1 budgets were a fraction of what they are now (adjusted for inflation), teams changed gear ratios. After the rulebook so highly regulates the car, they all have virtually the same performance envelope, so what happens then? They can't pass each other, because they all have virtually the same performance envelope. So what happens then? They add gimmick technologies like DRS. It's all part of a downward spiral.

People criticize sportscar racing for BOP, and I agree BOP is a bad thing, but in sportscar racing you get deals like this weekends Bathurst 12H where after 12 hours of racing, there are four cars practically nose to tail, with the podium changing in the last couple laps with the winner coming from back from third place, largely because while the lap times are virtually the same, they have different performance envelopes, creating natural passing opportunities.

Quote:
I am totally agree with the poster who mentioned that while being fairly open series, architecturally speaking, LMP1 relies on the subjective BoP rules to actually keep the cars on the same pace. And so as I watch the race, it's always in my mind, why invest in the best technology, why invest lots of money at all if the subjective BoP rules are going to bring the cars to the same pace?
I don't. See below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontlieue View Post
LMP1 doesn't rely on BoP. It's clearly defined in the regulations how much fuel you get allocated, based on fuel and hybrid class. Think of it like the turbo/NA equivalence rules F1 had in the past.
Right!
You go to the table and decide which flavor you want to build. Everybody is working from the same table, but different teams choose different flavors. The result is cars with different performance envelopes, resulting in natural passing opportunities.

Oh, and technological development.
Old 11 Feb 2015, 19:26 (Ref:3504058)   #65
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And there is no politicking to get things changed ;-) It's always unfair, it seems, to someone.
As you know, I'm a fan of sportscar, but I am enjoying putting across the counter arguments to both 'sides'.

Pandemonium, your phrase seems to suggest that anyone who doesn't think LMP racing is thousand times better doesn't like cars. A tactic politicians use a lot. This is wrong as I, and many others, do not think that and like cars.