Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Sep 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2766233)   #26
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahhh I see that clears things up, a misunderstanding from my side then.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 19:40 (Ref:2766255)   #27
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When considering how ambitious these plans are you have to take into account Lotus build trackday cars as a matter of course.

The Evora GT4 is already racing while the GT3 would need little more than an engine upgrade.

GTE's slightly different as the car has to be built to the letter of the regs (more or less) and the engine has to be developed to the restrictors.

Even so they are starting with a base car that has more in common with a Ferrari 430 Scuderia than a Jaguar XKR-R.

http://carnews.gossipblender.com/car...n-and-stirred/
Old 28 Sep 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2766273)   #28
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Planetlemans has another rendering showing more of the Lotus LMP car. One thing that is noticeably missing is the big honking fin.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 23:04 (Ref:2766346)   #29
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two points worth noting..........

Claudio Berro was the long time motorsports (sportscars) boss at Ferrari and Maserati, overseeing the likes of the 430 GT2 and MC12 GT1.

Also Lotus adopted Toyota engines so they could get easier access to the US market, with newer models aimed at the higher end Porsche, Ferrari and Aston market.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 23:35 (Ref:2766366)   #30
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Both EI and SPEED are sources of this story from Lotus and state it as being a coupe for 2011 rules P-2 customer program. It does not mention engine at all!
It´s exactly what says in the press-release...
Old 28 Sep 2010, 23:37 (Ref:2766367)   #31
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Planetlemans has another rendering showing more of the Lotus LMP car. One thing that is noticeably missing is the big honking fin.
All the rear feel very wrong and very out of the regulations. This is probably a first sketch just to show something...
Old 28 Sep 2010, 23:54 (Ref:2766372)   #32
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans.pt View Post
It´s exactly what says in the press-release...

Yep, exactly what I alluded to...

L.P.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 00:20 (Ref:2766374)   #33
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
No, it is not against the rules! The rules dictate a price cap for the unit, period.
And the current version of the 2011 regs says (thanks mulsanne):

Quote:
1.1.1. - "LE MANS" PROTOTYPE category includes :
a) "LE MANS" PROTOTYPE 1 ("LM"P1): open or closed (*) car, destined more especially to manufacturers.
b)"LE MANS" PROTOTYPE 2 ("LM"P2): open or closed (*) car, destined only to privateers. The selling price of the complete new car without the engine as described in article 5.6.1. below, but with all available options must not exceed €325 000.
So, this must be a Cutomer Program?

On the other hand, Claudio Berro said in a interview to dailysportscar in January, that Lotus would come to Le Mans in association with a established team.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 00:34 (Ref:2766376)   #34
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The frontal and the side view are different prototypes. That´s weird

Mybe they have two different prototypes, one is the god one and the other was a withraw project with Lola

Last edited by pablocomics; 29 Sep 2010 at 00:41.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 00:47 (Ref:2766379)   #35
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
And the current version of the 2011 regs says (thanks mulsanne):

So, this must be a Cutomer Program?

On the other hand, Claudio Berro said in a interview to dailysportscar in January, that Lotus would come to Le Mans in association with a established team.

It is not illegal for a mfg. to build a complete car, period.

The question was not if Lotus could run it as a werks program!

L.P.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 00:54 (Ref:2766380)   #36
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocomics View Post
The frontal and the side view are different prototypes. That´s weird

Mybe they have two different prototypes, one is the god one and the other was a withraw project with Lola

The frontal shot at SPEED and side shot at Planet Le Mans are of the same image likeness.

L.P.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 00:56 (Ref:2766383)   #37
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
It is not illegal for a mfg. to build a complete car, period.
Did i said the contrary? Show me where...

Quote:
The question was not if Lotus could run it as a werks program!
But that is my question!!!! Do i have to draw it?

A manufacturer can build a P2, but the new regs don't allow works team, so, this has to be a customer program and not a Lotus Motorsport campaign.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 01:00 (Ref:2766385)   #38
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Did i said the contrary? Show me where...

But that is my question!!!! Do i have to draw it?

A manufacturer can build a P2, but the new regs don't allow works team, so, this has to be a customer program and not a Lotus Motorsport campaign.
Yes, it cannot be run by Lotus.

L.P.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 05:58 (Ref:2766441)   #39
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
If Lotus are as ambitious as they appear to be and Proton are providing enough money then I suspect there will be an LMP2 customer programme followed by a LMP1 works programme.

If they are serious about moving into Ferrari & Porsche's market then they need to announce it in a big way - a Le Mans programme would be good - from my experience many high end sportscar buyers are well aware of sportscar racing - especially Le Mans.

..and what better partner to do it with than Toyota who successfully moved into the luxury car market from nothing when they launched Lexus.

All Speculation of course
Old 29 Sep 2010, 08:02 (Ref:2766468)   #40
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
in association with a established team.
Team doesnt mean manufacturer .

the front looks a bit Pugy to me . Love the colors .

Ian Dawson should try and get his hands on running this . he has a proven history , and Im not talking about the last few years with the diesel thing .
Old 29 Sep 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2766472)   #41
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Team doesnt mean manufacturer .

the front looks a bit Pugy to me . Love the colors .

Ian Dawson should try and get his hands on running this . he has a proven history , and Im not talking about the last few years with the diesel thing .
That was my first thought, also. Looks like the 908 will live on (in cosmetic form, anyway).

Any bets on Pescarolo as a potential runner?

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 29 Sep 2010 at 08:26.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 11:46 (Ref:2766561)   #42
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
GT4, GT2, LMP2...Isn't that to much on their plate?
At first sight, it does look like they're taking on a hell of a lot- it does sound a bit like MG's return to motorsport after the 'Phoenix 4' took over- and look where that ended...

Howver, looking at this, I reckon it's largely going to be customer car-based programmes, and it's not all going to happen at once.

As we're already discussing, an LMP2 means customers rather than a factory effort, and if they're looking at the Evora for GT3/GT4, then surely that's going to be aimed purely at the customer/gentleman driver market.

The 'new GT2 car based on one of our eagerly anticipated future road cars, set to be unveiled at the Paris Motor Show..' sounds like it's going to be based on the forthcoming new Elite- and everything I've read about that so far suggests it's intended to reach the markets in 2014- So this sounds like it might be a long-term project that we won't see race until after the LMP2 has debuted in 2012. In that context, the GT2 development of the Evora sounds like it might be a fill-in until the Elite is ready...
Old 29 Sep 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2766718)   #43
JAG
Veteran

England
There is a rumour the new Esprit will also be announced at Paris.

They could have name checked the Elite as it's already public knowledge.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2766748)   #44
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Team doesnt mean manufacturer.
Obviously...

That interview was in the beginning of the 2010 and he was talking about a future LMP1 program to be set with a established team like Audi does with Joest.

So my question is: A Lotus LMP2, runned by — for exemple — RML, with engineering support from Lotus is still a privateer team? ACO says that LMP is only for privateers, but how do you establish what is and what is not a privateer team?
Old 29 Sep 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2766749)   #45
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Obviously...

That interview was in the beginning of the 2010 and he was talking about a future LMP1 program to be set with a established team like Audi does with Joest.

So my question is: A Lotus LMP2, runned by — for exemple — RML, with engineering support from Lotus is still a privateer team? ACO says that LMP is only for privateers, but how do you establish what is and what is not a privateer team?
Audisport Team Joest.

RML

Who owns the cars.

L.P.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2766775)   #46
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Audisport Team Joest.

RML

Who owns the cars.

L.P.
Makes sense- I guess an RML-run Lotus LMP2, with the cars owned by the factory and factory-contracted drivers would be outside the ACO's wishes for LMP2. On the other hand, if Mike Newton was to replace the RML LMP2 Lola with a new LMP2 Lotus, with Mike continuing to be part of the driver lineup, then even with some factory technical support and some Lotus branding on the car, then I guess he'd be OK
Old 30 Sep 2010, 15:49 (Ref:2767237)   #47
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, there're certainly enough new Lotus sports cars to be considered as the base for a new GT2!
New Elite (GT)
New Esprit (supercar, hybrid V8)
New Elan (911 rival / Evora replacement, hybrid V6)
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/253099/

new elise probably isn't really eligible...
Old 30 Sep 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2767290)   #48
JAG
Veteran

England
Esprit, 611bhp 5.0-litre V8, due 2013.

http://www.pistonheads.com/lotus/def...?storyId=22569
Old 30 Sep 2010, 19:05 (Ref:2767375)   #49
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that's what I call firing on all cylinders
Old 1 Oct 2010, 02:41 (Ref:2767575)   #50
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK