Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Dec 2014, 06:38 (Ref:3482101)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chef V8SC To Buy AusGT!!

Story Here

Upward Spiral Detected?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Dec 2014, 06:43 (Ref:3482103)   #2
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buying AusGT doesn't give them any leverage with the 12hr despite what the Facebook blurb says

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Story Here

Upward Spiral Detected?
You seem excited by this prospect?
Old 5 Dec 2014, 06:50 (Ref:3482104)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
You seem excited by this prospect?
If V8SC get the model right, having the support categories as a package will stop things like Homebush having nothing to see!

If only they could get the V8Utes lot corralled, it could be an even bigger win
Old 5 Dec 2014, 07:22 (Ref:3482109)   #4
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like V8SC is going to be a full-blown GT3 series afterall.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 07:50 (Ref:3482115)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Looks like V8SC is going to be a full-blown GT3 series afterall.
You might imagine that by buying the AusGT series, and presumably the B12H, that the GT3 series might be *controlled* in this part of the world so as not to overtake the V8SC experience...

Maybe

Old 5 Dec 2014, 08:10 (Ref:3482117)   #6
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Warburton has learnt a thing or two, from Kerry Packer. I don't want to compete, I just buy it and then have control.

Control: redefined under the New V8SC's dictionary:
meaning: Scared another series will out class, take supporters away, take sponsors away, provide a better service to motorsport fans and marshalls.

If this happens, and other categories are purchased for control, then the whole of motorsports in Aust will be poorer for the experience.

Once you have control, you can dictate what happens, not good for every concerned

History repeats: As I have said before , look how many categories have run with V8Sc's and have not bothered to come back.

Control, yep, just means V8's will say when and where. And charge a shite load of dollars to see them.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 08:15 (Ref:3482118)   #7
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You might imagine that by buying the AusGT series, and presumably the B12H, that the GT3 series might be *controlled* in this part of the world so as not to overtake the V8SC experience...

Maybe

Are the B12hr organisers looking to sell
Old 5 Dec 2014, 08:20 (Ref:3482119)   #8
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, B12H is not AusGT.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 08:21 (Ref:3482120)   #9
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:

Maybe

If they don't morph into it, they'll just run it into the ground.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 08:24 (Ref:3482123)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
If they don't morph into it, they'll just run it into the ground.
You might have imagined a model where AusGT entrants are not required to fork out entry fees, where they get guaranteed prime teev slots on Fox/10, that the series finds a commercial title sponsor, that they lock in a control tyre supplier.. would be positives for the category..
Old 5 Dec 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3482125)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
SpeedCafe's Take

Quite literally... No more news than the motoring.com.au website

Old 5 Dec 2014, 08:32 (Ref:3482127)   #12
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
You might have imagined a model where AusGT entrants are not required to fork out entry fees, where they get guaranteed prime teev slots on Fox/10, that the series finds a commercial title sponsor, that they lock in a control tyre supplier.. would be positives for the category..
At least that's how it'll be portrayed initially
Old 5 Dec 2014, 08:58 (Ref:3482137)   #13
one five five
Veteran

The devil would be in the detail, as per any deal

If V8SC is just buying the "Australian GT Championship" off Tony Quinn, then its all a storm in a teacup (unless you were looking forward to the Phillip Island Shannon's event or Highlands perhaps).

If any deal involved V8SC acquiring any 'rights' to the use of GT3 regulations in Australia, then that is where any trouble might start
Old 5 Dec 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3482145)   #14
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
It all sounds like bad news to me.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 09:33 (Ref:3482149)   #15
AnEmmoFan
Rookie

AnEmmoFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If V8SC do take over Aus GT they can starve the Bathurst 12 hour of local cars. They can run the test days to include the GT3s and shut out B12.

I am not sure that motor sport gains when the controlling bodies (FIA, CAMS) award commercial rights then allow the recipients to on sell them. Look at the mess that is f1. V8SC has enough on its plate without taking on another category.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 10:49 (Ref:3482171)   #16
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEmmoFan View Post
If V8SC do take over Aus GT they can starve the Bathurst 12 hour of local cars. They can run the test days to include the GT3s and shut out B12.

I am not sure that motor sport gains when the controlling bodies (FIA, CAMS) award commercial rights then allow the recipients to on sell them. Look at the mess that is f1. V8SC has enough on its plate without taking on another category.
I don't think the entrants in AusGT would take to kindly to banning them from entering the 12 hours. Sounds like the easiest way to kill the series and loose all the money v8sc would spend buying the series. The entrants would probably end up forming their own series and run at the shannons nationals rounds.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 10:59 (Ref:3482173)   #17
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will be terrible if V8SC buy the GT series. They have to much say/control of Australian motorsport already.

Can't see them having a chance in hell getting the 12hr though.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 23:06 (Ref:3482358)   #18
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by velly4 View Post
I think it will be terrible if V8SC buy the GT series. They have to much say/control of Australian motorsport already.

Can't see them having a chance in hell getting the 12hr though.
X2.
Old 6 Dec 2014, 00:12 (Ref:3482365)   #19
lala1980
Rookie

lala1980 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
X2.
Who would be game enough to contact the ACCC?
Old 6 Dec 2014, 09:44 (Ref:3482463)   #20
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This would be the same James Warburton who in an interview in Auto Action a few weeks ago was dismissive of the value of support classes,said they brought very little to his series and in response to complaints about scheduling and repeated slashing of race distances said they had no grounds to complain and we're lucky to be part of his show.
If this takeover happens I am sure GT competitors will be thrilled in a few years when they are sent to Perth and Symmons Plains to run a few 20 minute ( time certain) races.
I also bet that he has already worked out a rule that will stop Aus GT competitors running in the 12 Hour-round 2 of his war on that event.
Do Aus GT competitors have any say about who takes over their series and what conditions can be attached to the sale?
Old 6 Dec 2014, 10:19 (Ref:3482471)   #21
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, this news that V8 Supercars buying the Australian GT series reminds me of NASCAR buying IMSA and the American Le Mans Series.

Kinda sucks that this takeover has happened in Australia.
Old 6 Dec 2014, 11:12 (Ref:3482482)   #22
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Do Aus GT competitors have any say about who takes over their series and what conditions can be attached to the sale?

They can vote with their feet and form a break away series that'd probably run on the Shannon's Nationals card.

I'm quite certain that's what would happen if the series was brought out by V8SC and they made changes that angered the competitors.
Old 6 Dec 2014, 11:15 (Ref:3482486)   #23
Umai Naa
Veteran

Does V8SC actually have the money to do this?
Old 6 Dec 2014, 11:41 (Ref:3482490)   #24
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmmm,

Wonders if an alternative, professional level of racing in a very different style may be seen to complement V8SC, as well as providing a "top" level for drivers to "progress" to and develop skills hitherto unavailable in 2nd tier v8 racing. Ie learn to sprint in development series, learn to endure in GTs.

Personally I'd prefer a champ car/super league type chassis with a common v8, but you can't have everything I suppose.....

Finally, perhaps tellingly, it may yet provide a diversified income stream for the primary show......

Last edited by Malfunction Junction; 6 Dec 2014 at 11:43. Reason: Money, money, money!
Old 6 Dec 2014, 15:38 (Ref:3482522)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction View Post
Hmmmmm,

Wonders if an alternative, professional level of racing in a very different style may be seen to complement V8SC.
If it did, I'm sure they would be enabling, even encouraging their drivers to go and race in the B12hrs to raise its profile ahead of bringing them into the support series.

That they're going out of their way to do the opposite makes me deeply suspicious of their motives.