Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 26 Oct 2002, 19:34 (Ref:414143)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is the least talented F1 champion?

There is no such thing as an undeserving F1 champion, but who would you say is the least talented of all the F1 champions. I would say Mike Hawthorn. He won only 3 races in his F1 career, and only 1 of them in his title year.
Old 26 Oct 2002, 21:09 (Ref:414226)   #2
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
true but I bet he could drink you under the table and most marshals for that matter now thats real talent!
Old 26 Oct 2002, 21:43 (Ref:414230)   #3
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yoong Montoya: I would venture to suggest that Mike Hawthorn had more talent in his little finger than you can possibly aspire to. He became a Formula 1 driver on merit (as all champions do) - he was not a pay driver, although I'll grant that he came from a privileged background: you didn't drive for Ferrari in the 50s without being talented.

Bob Marley
Old 26 Oct 2002, 22:38 (Ref:414258)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I would agree Hawthorn was very talented as are all the world champions, I really dont think you could call any of them untalented except maybe at singing ?????
Old 26 Oct 2002, 22:50 (Ref:414264)   #5
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do my eyes deceive me? Did he say he wasn't talented?

Who was the least talented? Eddie Irvine came within a Gnat's whisker of the biggest coup since sliced bread...
Old 26 Oct 2002, 22:51 (Ref:414265)   #6
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thingmabob the Finnish drive drove for williams in the 80's/90/s Gawd he was so talented I can't recall his name
Old 27 Oct 2002, 00:52 (Ref:414325)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eh, I dunno... _Maybe_ Phil Hill. Von Trips was running away with the title when he died, and the '61 Ferrari was simply and unbeatable car. It's the only year he was really a factor.

Alan Jones was a late bloomer, but certainly not untalented... Overall, though, it might be him.

The list of F1 champions is really pretty elite, when you look at it.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 11:23 (Ref:414611)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thingmabob! Keke Rosberg? Who drove for Williams in '82-'85 and McClaren in '86 (and some Fittipaldi's, Wolfs and other similar machinery before that).

A great driver. Not a Senna or Prost, but extrememly quick. I might be being a tad unfair to him, but perhaps he didn't have the race craft (in terms of looking after his car not overtaking), but that was only because he knew one speed - flat out.

1982 was an odd championship (and year overall). Lots of bad things happened. Driver's killed. Bad politics. Even Colin Chapman died at year end. Almost would have been better if they had just forgot about the championship, but Keke won it and he had some great drives that year.

It is a dificult question, because all have a lot of talent. The single title people are going to figure well in this. I'll suggest Farina. I understand he was a bit of a dirty driver too (?).
Old 27 Oct 2002, 12:16 (Ref:414637)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not dirty in the modern sense of the word, but forceful. Farina had a reputation for not backing off in a fight for a corner, and wasn't averse to giving your car a little tweak to remind you he was right behind. But that is small beer compared to the antics that seem to be fostered in every modern series from Formula Ford upwards.

I have trouble with these topics, because unless there is a blatant example of - say - a hot-rod driver landing a World Championship, one is effectively asking "who is the least talented of these recognised virtuosos"!
Old 27 Oct 2002, 22:55 (Ref:415087)   #10
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Keke Rosberg was extremely quick,he raced Formula Atlantics down here in '77 and '78,he wiped the floor both years,he was streets ahead of the rest.He also suffered from driving dodgy cars so he had to flog them to the limit to get something out of them.He gave Theodore its one and only F1 win,and until he went to Williams he really didn't have a competitive drive.The turbo/wing cars didn't really suit his balls to wall driving style though.He was very much like Jochen Rindt in driving styles.Alan Jones also was a hard charging driver,he had to flog those uncompetitive Surtees round before he went to drive the first Saudia/Williams,he put up some great drives in that.Again probably another driver whos driving style wasn't suited to the Turbo point and squirt wing cars of the day.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 03:10 (Ref:416057)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see no-one's mentioned Damon Hill yet.

Sneaks away grinning mischievously.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 05:01 (Ref:416095)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Y'know, I was _so_ tempted to say Damon... But he _did_ have that amazing drive at the Hungaroring in '97.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 18:00 (Ref:416556)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Suzuka '94.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 18:03 (Ref:416562)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
TimD I think you are probably right about Farina.

It is also interesting that you say "Formula Ford upwards" when describing, er, undesirable driving. Do you think in some ways it could be from modern "F1 downwards". Setting an example!

And you are right: They are all great!
Old 29 Oct 2002, 18:53 (Ref:416591)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
TimD - I agree that the title here is a recipe for disaster! I mean it is like: "Who is the least talented cellist? Pablo Cassals or Yo Yo Ma?" Yikes! The amount of talent needed to become WDC is outrageous. When you include all the other factors: car, weather, safety, politics etc and throw in the differences in eras as far as type of car, how can you say with any certainty that Driver A is better/worse than Driver B?

I think I will watch "In Car 956" (again!).
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 08:31 (Ref:417160)   #16
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
I see no-one's mentioned Damon Hill yet.

Sneaks away grinning mischievously.
Damon Hill would be the least talented F1 champ of all. He has done nothing before or since F1 and only won by being in the best car.

I have seen Jones race touring cars and seen the races he had wheel to wheel with Gilles. An quite honestly those of you have said Jones obviously haven't seen him race. Anyway who is still Patrick Head and Frank Williams favorite drive???? That would be Alan Jones
Old 30 Oct 2002, 23:11 (Ref:418012)   #17
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Who is the least talented F1 champion?

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
There is no such thing as an undeserving F1 champion, but who would you say is the least talented of all the F1 champions. I would say Mike Hawthorn. He won only 3 races in his F1 career, and only 1 of them in his title year.
The only thing I'd say there is that there were also a lot less Grands Prix back then as well. I make no call on driver talent.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 15:20 (Ref:418572)   #18
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely Damon Hill contributed a huge amount to the Williams being the best car, he was the test driver after all!
Old 31 Oct 2002, 20:07 (Ref:418774)   #19
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rosberg was awesome.. my first motor racing memory is watching him on Sunday afternoons..

Tempted to suggest Hill.. Suzaka 1994.. he was the best.. but only one race.. but then who else has taken on M. Sch??

Was Mansell that talented? But he made up for it with true grit and determination.

Perhaps best to ask who was the most talented chap to ever miss out on a championship - but that would be too easy!
Old 31 Oct 2002, 22:41 (Ref:418935)   #20
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every champion had something better than the others, whether it was pure talent (Fangio, Clark, Senna...) or the best out there in terms of setting up a car (Prost, Lauda...) or the ones who fought very very hard and never surrendered (Graham and Damon, I'd say...)

Yes, It'd be easier to ask which talented drivers never won... (Gilles, Moss, Reutemann, Ickx, Berger, von Trips... and a long etc...)
Old 12 Nov 2002, 15:52 (Ref:427108)   #21
Damonist
Rookie

Damonist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being a Damon fan I will still try to be "neutral" in this question by stating that Damon was not the most talented but also not the least talented. Considering that he started very late with race cars (24, I believe he was?), it is amazing that he could go all the way to the championship after all. But, dont forget that he was a test driver for a couple of years and was even denoted "the best test driver ever" by someone in the know-how. And lets face it, you can not become an F1 World Champion without talent, best car or not.

However, there is a full scale of drivers who qualify in the "talented driver" range and of course, Schumi and Mika H are on top of the list. I can not say that I know enough of previous years of F1 Racing to name the "least talented" driver, but I am very sure Damon is not the one.

Like someone else said earlier, "Hawthorn was very talented as are all the world champions, I really dont think you could call any of them untalented except maybe at singing?????" Very true!
Old 12 Nov 2002, 16:49 (Ref:427132)   #22
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome to the forum, Damonist.

I'm always impressed by Damon's dad. Graham, I believe, didn't actually drive a car of any kind at all, let alone race it, before he was 24 years of age, and in a decade he was winning Grands Prix. Now that's an achievement in my book.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 08:55 (Ref:427595)   #23
Damonist
Rookie

Thanks, TimD!

Graham was a mechanic or something, wasnt he? And for some reason he got the chance to drive and did pretty good.

In F1Racing, the magazine, Murray Walker was picking his favourite dreamteam in F1 and chose Schumi and Fangio as race drivers and Damon&Graham as test drivers because they were the best testers of all time or something like that. And Murray should know what he is talking about!
Old 13 Nov 2002, 09:02 (Ref:427599)   #24
Damonist
Rookie

By the way, just as a reflection:

People say that Damon only won because he was in the best car, but is there any F1 World Champion during the last, say, twenty years, who has won the title w-i-t-h-o-u-t being in the best car???
Old 13 Nov 2002, 09:17 (Ref:427608)   #25
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher?