Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Oct 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2781761)   #1
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OFF SEASON TESTING: Pt 1 & 2 Abu Dhabi Rookie and Pirelli Tests

OFF SEASON TESTING:

Pt 1 & 2 Abu Dhabi Rookie and Pirelli Tests

It is still a month away, but teams are getting ready for the first sessions of F1 post season testing. The testing schedule is for 4 days at the Yas Marina Circuit, immediately following the Abu Dhabi GP, starting on 16th November 2010.

The first two days of the test are for the F1 rookies and inexperienced drivers to show their skills, and try to impress those that make the decisions. Due to the lack of availability of Pirrelli rubber this part of the testing will be the last time the current Bridgestone tyres will be seen in use ......

Not sure of the FIA definition of a rookie in terms of eligibility for the tests, but I have a feeling it is anyone with a superlicence who has not competed in more than 2 GP's in the preceeding year.

The final two days being when the F1 teams will have their first opportunity to test the proposed Pirelli 2011 rubber and collect plenty of data and improve their understanding of the new tyres to be able to adapt their 2011 cars final designs. From what I understand each team will be issued with 2 sets of the new Pirelli rubber.

For the Pirelli Tests on the final two days, it will no doubt be the mainstream drivers, all anxious to trial the tyres they will be using in 2011, who carry out the driving duties, but the teams are currently starting to announce their driver lineups for the rookie tests.

McLaren will use its 29-year-old reserve driver Gary Paffett on at least one day, according to a report by Auto Motor und Sport, and perhaps British GP2 driver Oliver Turvey, on the other.

In the Ferrari will be Jules Bianchi, the 21-year-old French GP2 driver who is under contract to the Italian team and a part of their junior programme. He will be joined by the first three from the Italian F3 Championship

Red Bull will run reserve driver Daniel Ricciardo, and another Red Bull Junior, Frenchman Jean-Eric Vergne, will be in the Toro Rosso.

Renault will run the new Renault World Series champion Mikhail Aleshin, likely backed up with a driver from its Gravity management driver pool, such as the Chinese Ho-Pin Tung.

The new F2 champion Dean Stoneman, 20, will be in the Williams car for one day, with Pastor Maldonado the other driver for the team, (in effect his F1 race drive evaluation.

In the Virgin car will be the team’s current Friday driver Jerome d’Ambrosio, and Brazilian test driver Liuz Razia.

In the Force India will be reserve driver Paul di Resta, who is tipped by some to move into the 2011 race seat should a vacancy arise.

Lotus, HRT and Mercedes have not yet to my knowledge, mentioned any names in connection with the rookie tests, although Haug has said that for Mercedes it will likely be drivers from 'the Mercedes programme'.

Sauber will be running its 2011 race rookie Sergio Perez, and the team’s test driver for next year Esteban Gutierrez.

So a summary of that to which we can add further names as announced is:

McLaren
Gary Paffett
Oliver Turvey?

Ferrari
Jules Bianchi

Plus 1,2,3 from Italian F3 Championship:
Cesar Ramos
Stephane Richelmi
Andrea Caldarelli

Red Bull
Daniel Ricciardo

Toro Rosso
Jean-Eric Vergne

Renault
Mikhail Aleshin
Ho-Pin Tung / Gravity Management driver 'pool'?

Williams
Pastor Maldonado
Dean Stoneman

Force India
Paul di Resta
Felix da Costa?

Sauber
Sergio Perez
Esteban Gutierrez

Virgin
Jerome d’Ambrosio
Liuz Razia

Mercedes
TBC

Lotus
TBC

HRT
TBC

2011 Pre Season schedule.

I understand that the current schedule for pre season (2011 testing), starting with when the teams will likely be launching their 2011 cars will be as follows:

1-3 February Valencia p (Ricardo Tormo circuit)

10-13 February Jerez .

18-21 February Barcelona

3-6 March Bahrain Sakhir circuit.

This Bahrain test will be held the week prior to the 2011 GP season opener,scheduled for the Sakhir venue from 11th to13th March. Ironic now with all the testing restrictions in place, this schedule for Bahrain actually breaks previous testing rules that no team was to test at a GP venue in the two weeks prior to the GP..... now they all are!
Old 28 Oct 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2781762)   #2
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Force India was planning to skip the rookie test? Or is that not allowed?

I can see Lotus running Fauzy for two days. HRT will be someone with some cash I suppose.
Old 29 Oct 2010, 01:49 (Ref:2781879)   #3
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I understand about the Pirelli tyres is that they will go for a conservative tyre(i.e. one that lasts even on the soft option).

I would like to see a further rule change with an option for several different types of hardness for tyres, but I accept that is never going to happen.
Old 29 Oct 2010, 12:24 (Ref:2782054)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sam bird to test for mercedes:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87808

seems to be an excellent choice apart from fitting the bill with regards to the mercedes junior drivers thing. sam's another one of those fantastic racers gp2 is good at highlighting, rather the sort of talent you find yourself saying "i'd pay good money to see ..... racing"
Old 29 Oct 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2782058)   #5
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see Charles Pic in these tests.
Old 29 Oct 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2782123)   #6
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd love to see Chris van der Drift get a stab at one of these tests. It'd be nice to see him get some good luck for a change.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 00:21 (Ref:2782381)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Will they get any serious information from the Pirelli test given they are running on a circuit that's had 5 days of Bridgestone F1 Rubber laid down on it.

I would have thought Pirelli would have wanted a relatively "Green" track to start with.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 11:11 (Ref:2782486)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Great news about Bird, Mercedes appear keen to keep that particular connection going.....

Nice mention for Chris there greem, I hope he is fit enough to get behind the wheel of something or other soon. I think he's seriously good but struggles financially and I suppose we don't yet know how far away from full fitness he is?.

My fingers are crossed that someone like Gravity take the plunge with him and give him a ride in WSR or GP2 next season, then that might open some doors.

Elsewhere I wonder how many drivers the likes of Lotus, ART will give a run!!
Old 30 Oct 2010, 14:12 (Ref:2782550)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Nice mention for Chris there greem, I hope he is fit enough to get behind the wheel of something or other soon. I think he's seriously good but struggles financially and I suppose we don't yet know how far away from full fitness he is?
he raced at navarra the other weekend in superleague again, but for a different team, didn't he?
Old 30 Oct 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2782570)   #10
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
sam bird to test for mercedes:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87808

seems to be an excellent choice apart from fitting the bill with regards to the mercedes junior drivers thing. sam's another one of those fantastic racers gp2 is good at highlighting, rather the sort of talent you find yourself saying "i'd pay good money to see ..... racing"
He's had a dreadful year in GP2, with his luck he'll be lucky to make it out of the pitlane. I thought they should have simply stated to the media that "A bird is testing for Mercedes" would have caused some wild specualtion!
Old 30 Oct 2010, 18:25 (Ref:2782638)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
he raced at navarra the other weekend in superleague again, but for a different team, didn't he?
Jeez, really??? I'm not in the room matey!!!
Old 31 Oct 2010, 00:15 (Ref:2782756)   #12
Speed-freak
Rookie

United Kingdom
uk
Speed-freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf1 Fan View Post
I would like to see Charles Pic in these tests.
Me too...surley he deserves a crack at one of the days
Old 31 Oct 2010, 00:25 (Ref:2782757)   #13
Speed-freak
Rookie

United Kingdom
uk
Speed-freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
He's had a dreadful year in GP2, with his luck he'll be lucky to make it out of the pitlane. I thought they should have simply stated to the media that "A bird is testing for Mercedes" would have caused some wild specualtion!
More like dreadful luck in GP2 some weekends but I guess starting at the back in Spain then overtaking just about everybody on track not to mention his win in Italy has got the clever folk at Mercedes looking. No doubt when Bird gets in to F1 the press will have a field day with his surname, however as an entertaining driver this season at most races I hope "The Bird flies at the F1 test now he is free to spread his wings" any others........
Old 31 Oct 2010, 02:02 (Ref:2782770)   #14
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Does this testing fall under the 2010 engine usage restrictions?

If so there are going to be some pretty ordinary and lets say well used engines running around!
Old 31 Oct 2010, 13:38 (Ref:2782943)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
in that case it'll be just like running in gp2
Old 2 Nov 2010, 06:30 (Ref:2783877)   #16
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-freak View Post
Me too...surley he deserves a crack at one of the days
So do I. Hes got the potential to be a good F1 driver and deserves a crack.
Old 3 Nov 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2784614)   #17
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dutch media reports Super League Formula driver Yelmer Buurman might test for Force India, together with Portugese F3/GP3 driver Felix Da Costa.
Old 3 Nov 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2784620)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

So why would Force India be particularly interested in those two?

Yelmer's not a slouch but he's not a superstar either. Da Costa must have some management on minor sponsor links with Force India in some capacity?

I wouldn't have thought either were hot prospects for any kind of F1 drive though.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 06:49 (Ref:2784767)   #19
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Da Costa is pretty good i reckon. I reckon Gp2 will show his true potential if it's in a positive or negative way.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 10:23 (Ref:2784824)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A-D.R View Post
Da Costa is pretty good i reckon. I reckon Gp2 will show his true potential if it's in a positive or negative way.
I'm not questioning these drivers' ability N.A.D.R, I'm simply suggesting that neither would be seriously looked at for F1 drives at present unless there are some other reasons.

Da Costa may not even be ready for GP2 imo.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 10:52 (Ref:2784838)   #21
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Yeah i know i just think Da Costa is a pretty good driver. I think hes ready although im not sure if Ocean can produce those winning cars unless your a stand out driver which i dont think Da Costa is that kind of driver, not in his first season anyway. He has the potential though and getting an F1 test only makes you a better driver.

I think Ricciardo will shine again and im looking forward to seeing Bird's progress aswell. One driver i really want to see and it's already been mentioned is Charles Pic. Hes very talented and he did a credible debut season in the Arden, taking wins and pole positions finishing 9th in the championship. Hes only what 19 aswell? Hes got what it takes if you ask me.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 11:11 (Ref:2784844)   #22
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
charles pic's younger brother arthur is pretty good too. not sure that they're any better than bianchi, but france has quite a few good young drivers around at the moment.

being picky, you must be talking about the younger da costa, antonio. can't say there's any reason he merits a drive over anyone else other than being able to produce an extortionate wedge of cash.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2784853)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
charles pic's younger brother arthur is pretty good too. not sure that they're any better than bianchi, but france has quite a few good young drivers around at the moment.
Flav would do well to keep hold of Charles. Also if Gravity ever decide there needs to be a French driver in the 'Renault's in one or two years time, Pic could be the right choice. I suspect the French manufacturer aspect of that team will gradually disappear though?

I guess Vergne's the one we are all watching closest?
Old 4 Nov 2010, 11:53 (Ref:2784857)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Flav would do well to keep hold of Charles. Also if Gravity ever decide there needs to be a French driver in the 'Renault's in one or two years time, Pic could be the right choice. I suspect the French manufacturer aspect of that team will gradually disappear though?

I guess Vergne's the one we are all watching closest?
well renault don't put any money in, but they do own part of the team still i believe. it's probably the best way to keep it - genii don't have to worry about branding or an empty car and renault get a presence strong enough to back up the world series by renault.

as for french talent, there's nathanael berthon in fr3.5 who could be up for the title in 2011 if he does the smart thing and goes for the second tech1 drive, the two pic brothers, nelson panciatici if he pulls his finger out, jules bianchi and jean eric vergne have already got f1 options, romain grosjean...

personally i'm not entirely convinced about charles pic yet, but if flav's got him as a contracted driver he's clearly no slouch.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 20:44 (Ref:2786651)   #25
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was reported here that Renault selected Mikhail Aleshin and Jerome d'Ambrosio for the young driver tests.