Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 6 Jul 2019, 22:51 (Ref:3916226)   #201
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Easy to take some conclusions from today's race. Level is low. Team preparation is below bar. Racing is boring.
Old 7 Jul 2019, 12:16 (Ref:3916300)   #202
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I was expecting racing to be closer. It certainly seemed to be in the midfield, but we didn’t much of it. That said a great win for Garcia, shame for Powell and gap gets slightly closer between Chadwick and Visser
Old 8 Jul 2019, 08:50 (Ref:3916466)   #203
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Part of the problem is that only a few of the drivers have meaningful experience in single seaters and the rest have been flung into the deep end and are having to learn how single seaters behave, how aero works, how the tyres come in, in a very public arena.

Also Hitech GP who prepare and run the cars have had to find and possibly train 18 race mechanics, data engineers and so on which may not be easy due to other experienced people being involved in other series.
Old 8 Jul 2019, 09:32 (Ref:3916471)   #204
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Cars were too far apart from each other. Dunno if it's the gap in driver skills, the racetrack, or aerodynamics issues.
I think the selection process for this Series was flawed. Some drivers with good single seater credentials were (I believe) overlooked because they failed other criteria. I know one girl who made it to the actual testing of a car who had never driven a single seater in her life!

I attended the Zolder round and the field competitiveness was obviously affected by the different single seater experience of the drivers. I am not saying that in time and with single seater experience some of them will not make make open wheel stars of themselves however.
Old 20 Jul 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3918603)   #205
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Commentators keep saying Alice Powell has had lots of problems with her car through the series but don’t they swap cars every round?
Old 20 Jul 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3918610)   #206
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Decent race, great drive by Emma and good to see Alice up there. Great battle between Chadwick and Visser. Either deserve the title
Old 20 Jul 2019, 16:06 (Ref:3918614)   #207
Mogster
Rookie

Mogster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Commentators keep saying Alice Powell has had lots of problems with her car through the series but don’t they swap cars every round?
Yes, as I understand it they swop cars and engineers. I’ve no idea what she was going on about...
Old 20 Jul 2019, 16:52 (Ref:3918618)   #208
MrAero
Rookie

MrAero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogster View Post
Yes, as I understand it they swop cars and engineers. I’ve no idea what she was going on about...
I believe after a DNF they are assigned the same chassis for the following race. I assume so if you bend it in a crash you carry the risk of any residual problems next time out . Powell had two DNFs in a row (crash then engine) so had her third weekend using the same chassis.

It preempts a situation like Chadwick getting Koyama's chassis at Brands, having a shocking weekend, losing the title, then insinuating there was something wrong with the chassis.
Old 20 Jul 2019, 17:47 (Ref:3918622)   #209
Mogster
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAero View Post
I believe after a DNF they are assigned the same chassis for the following race. I assume so if you bend it in a crash you carry the risk of any residual problems next time out . Powell had two DNFs in a row (crash then engine) so had her third weekend using the same chassis.

It preempts a situation like Chadwick getting Koyama's chassis at Brands, having a shocking weekend, losing the title, then insinuating there was something wrong with the chassis.
Thx that’s interesting.

Watching the races when there’s a nasty shunt I’ve often thought to myself “who’ll get that one next time...” I suppose it’s one way of avoiding the chuck it away mentality as you know if you crash then you’ll be driving that chassis next time as well...
Old 21 Jul 2019, 08:05 (Ref:3918705)   #210
Mogster
Rookie

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hpgD50_J3ig

Race is on YouTube. Completely mental...

Brilliant drive from Powell, I really though she had it on the last corner. Good from Kimilainen and Chadwick also.
Old 22 Jul 2019, 09:21 (Ref:3918814)   #211
ArcticRacing
Rookie

France
France
ArcticRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting race ! There were some small preparation messes such as Bovy who didn't have any prepared tires and had to start with old tires and finish almost on the rims, or Kimiläinen who drove with a wobbly car (front wing flaps support gone on one side), but the main thing was there: it was fun, and by staying away from the incidents, the fastest ones climbed the rankings.

Nevertheless, I am worried about Koyama. She was injured in the hand with the accident on Saturday, and on Sunday she was at the bottom of the pack with the worst times on the grid. She who is used to overtaking more than the others, I hope she has nothing serious to her hand for having been so uncompetitive compared to what we could have expected.

We had another great Visser/Chadwick battle, even if it was shortened on lap 12 when the Dutchwoman was sent to the back of the pack.

The surprise of the day was Gilkes, she always had enough speed to stay ahead (5th best time of the day & 7th best theoretical time with her best 3 sectors) while on Saturday she lost 2 seconds on lap on Kimiläinen. Was she able to preserve good tires for this opportunity to shine? Has she been overly cautious in the peloton since her accident in the first race? Mystery!
Surprise also for Bovy: despite less good tyres, she was able to fight for victory for a long time and set the 2nd best lap (and the 5th best theoretical time with her best 3 sectors).

On the other hand, in a very predictable way Hawkins and Cook (already very fast on Saturday) signed the 3rd and 1st best laps in the race. Starting 7th and 8th, they easily climbed the rankings to fight for victory.
Speaking of fast drivers, with a thumbs-up of the safety cars, some of them shone with a superb progression from their starting position: Powell (15 places gained), Chadwick (+12) and Kimiläinen (+11)
Old 23 Jul 2019, 09:57 (Ref:3918985)   #212
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ms Gilkes' pace when the tyre wasn't at optimal temperature was certainly notable.

She was able to pull a decent gap on the field from the start, and both restarts. But I think in doing that, it hurt the tyres at the end of the race. By the final lap, she was working hard to defend, and only just held on for the win. But a well-deserved win at that.
Old 12 Aug 2019, 10:02 (Ref:3922399)   #213
ArcticRacing
Rookie

France
France
ArcticRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations to Jamie Chadwick and also to Alice Powell on a well deserved first win.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 07:51 (Ref:3922534)   #214
S griffin
Veteran

Congrats to both Chadwick and Powell, for the title and race win respectively. But also well done for Visser for putting up a fight till the end
Old 14 Aug 2019, 08:29 (Ref:3922669)   #215
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Powell To Make IMSA Debut At VIR With MSR

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/0...-with-msr.html
Old 14 Aug 2019, 19:14 (Ref:3922762)   #216
S griffin
Veteran

I’m sure she’ll do well in that
Old 9 Sep 2019, 10:59 (Ref:3926860)   #217
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So out of interest, what was the general opinion of the season as a whole? I thought it was ok to be honest, no real surprises as to who was quick and who was some way off the pace but that doesn't mean there isn't a real prospect out there waiting to be discovered, can you imagine the interest if a real unknown turned up and blew the rest of the field away. Other than hopefully a few more races next year i don't think a whole lot needs changing.
Old 9 Sep 2019, 12:03 (Ref:3926876)   #218
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
So out of interest, what was the general opinion of the season as a whole? I thought it was ok to be honest, no real surprises as to who was quick and who was some way off the pace but that doesn't mean there isn't a real prospect out there waiting to be discovered, can you imagine the interest if a real unknown turned up and blew the rest of the field away. Other than hopefully a few more races next year i don't think a whole lot needs changing.
Basically if you like single seater racing then W Series is fine - it's just another single seater championship. It's a bit like watching club level F3 - there is some good racing but the performance gap between the front and back of the grid is very noticeable.

It'll be interesting to see how many drivers return next season (of those that are eligible) and how many move on to something else. How many seasons can a driver stay in W Series? Is it a case of as long as you're finishing in the top 12 you can stay as long as you like? Is it possible that W Series becomes a 'dead end' for some of the drivers? If so they'd potentially be taking a seat from a younger driver coming up through the ranks that could potentially be "the one".
Old 11 Sep 2019, 13:59 (Ref:3927396)   #219
andrewc
Veteran

Bit of an unfair comparison, but Jamie Chadwick did the Friday test session in the Euroformula Open F3 race at Silverstone last weekend.

http://www.euroformulaopen.net/uploa...fofreecomb.pdf

She finished the day 13th out of 15th, with 14 of those being regular Euroformula F3 runners, and one F3 Cup club racer at the back of the field who is probably at least twice the average age of the rest of the grid.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 18:25 (Ref:3927442)   #220
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
Bit of an unfair comparison, but Jamie Chadwick did the Friday test session in the Euroformula Open F3 race at Silverstone last weekend.

She finished the day 13th out of 15th, with 14 of those being regular Euroformula F3 runners, and one F3 Cup club racer at the back of the field who is probably at least twice the average age of the rest of the grid.
the field in Euroformula open is not that strong anyway, Ahmed ho was fastes finished only 9th in last years F3 European Championship
Old 12 Sep 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3927526)   #221
andrewc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
the field in Euroformula open is not that strong anyway, Ahmed ho was fastes finished only 9th in last years F3 European Championship
Sadly, Euroformula Open is probably the only place in Europe to race "proper" F3 cars at a professional level now FIA European F3 is no more. There are other places but really intended for the high end club racer

This year they have allowed in the older style F3 engines from 2013 and earlier - the HWA prepared Mercedes and the VW by Spiess. The old mainstay - a specially prepared Toyota by Piedrafieta is outgunned - doesn't have the torque that the F3 motors have.
Old 12 Sep 2019, 14:13 (Ref:3927567)   #222
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It was a very last minute thing with her seat not being sorted etc so it's probably best not to try and draw any conclusions from it.
Old 12 Sep 2019, 17:22 (Ref:3927594)   #223
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Sadly, Euroformula Open is probably the only place in Europe to race "proper" F3 cars at a professional level now FIA European F3 is no more. There are other places but really intended for the high end club racer

This year they have allowed in the older style F3 engines from 2013 and earlier - the HWA prepared Mercedes and the VW by Spiess. The old mainstay - a specially prepared Toyota by Piedrafieta is outgunned - doesn't have the torque that the F3 motors have.
Aren’t they using the 14-18 engines like Japan?
Old 12 Sep 2019, 20:50 (Ref:3927620)   #224
andrewc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
It was a very last minute thing with her seat not being sorted etc so it's probably best not to try and draw any conclusions from it.
Thats why I said it was a bit of an unfair comparison - a last minute deal against people who have done 3/4 of a season
Old 12 Sep 2019, 20:56 (Ref:3927621)   #225
andrewc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Aren’t they using the 14-18 engines like Japan?
Yes, you're correct - its the 14-18 bespoke engines - I misinterpreted a report elsewhere.