Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 20 Jan 2004, 17:36 (Ref:844302)   #1
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Santa Pod

I'm thinking about visiting Santa pod this year to see the drag racing.

However I don't know how much the tickets are or when they race etc etc...

Can anyone let me know please

Thanks
Tiptop
Old 20 Jan 2004, 18:00 (Ref:844323)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
www.santapod.com
Tickets are normally about £20 for the two big meetings. 'The Main Event' first round of the FIA Euro Championship is normally at the end of May, the European Finals meeting is early September. These two meetings are the ones to go to ( crowds of 20,000+) when the big top fuellers and Funny cars come out to play although there is usually something on each weekend throughout the summer. The website has all the info you need.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 16:50 (Ref:847084)   #3
Peachy
Rookie

Peachy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a 71 Plymouth Road Runner (a "12 sec" car) that I will be racing at Santa Pod this season. They host their spectacular 'Run What Yer Brung' days (whre you race against other, often fresh-off-the-street, cars with a handicap so your 'elapsed time' can still have you beating a much bigger and faster engined car)at many weekends during the summer as well as the Top Fuel rounds of the FIA championships. They are excellent value for money with much happening. A bit more spit and sawdust and very much how Clubmans racing was in the early 80s if you can remember that far back! Definitely a place to visit on a regular basis.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 18:06 (Ref:847216)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peachy, what I like about it is how friendly everyone is! It may be an American sport contested by Europeans at the Pod but it is more like a USA race meeting where everyone is accessible and happy to sign autographs for the kids, let them pose in the cars for photos etc.
As you say, like a good old fashioned race meeting.
Once you have bought your ticket you can go anywhere save the dangerous shut down area. But you don't want to be in the barn behind the start when the jet cars fire up and you need free hands (not holding a burger and coke) when the top fuellers start - definitely fingers-in -ears time for those! Good luck with your racing.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 13:14 (Ref:848173)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Santa Pod is one of those things you just have to do sometime. I know lots of people think it ain't real racin' seeing as there's no corners and such, but you really have to see (and hear, and feel ) them in action.

Highly recommend the FIA Euro Championship events - especially the top fuel dragsters. 1/4 mile in under 5 seconds!

I did a run what ya brung day in my first Impreza Turbo, in standard UK tune. Best time was 14.5 sec. Quicker than most things there, but 2 seconds slower than a tuned Maestro turbo! I have to admit to a flicker of a smile when he melted the turbo (and most of his front end) on his 5th run...
Old 23 Jan 2004, 13:25 (Ref:848184)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
But you don't want to be in the barn behind the start when the jet cars fire up and you need free hands (not holding a burger and coke) when the top fuellers start - definitely fingers-in -ears time for those!
Yep, I can second both those points.

The tannoy wasn't working properly when we were there, so people didn't hear the "advice" that they ought move from behind the start line for the jet car - many pairs of singed eyebrows later, they moved!

Spookily enough, my mate had a Coke in one hand and was about to take a bite out of the burger in the other when the top fuellers launched. He dropped his Coke, and the teeth marks in his fingers have just about healed...
Old 9 Mar 2004, 17:36 (Ref:899677)   #7
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Old 9 Mar 2004, 17:37 (Ref:899678)   #8
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
thanks for all your advice i'm off this year in April should be a blast!