Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Aug 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1388173)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
JPM - Merchandising

OK a bit strange for a topic I guess but I felt you couldn't move around the circuit this weekend without seeing a Kimi hat, tee shirt, or indeed a Finnish flag. Not to mention some seriously "relaxed" Finns.

Kimi seems more popular than MS these days.

However, I wandered down to the Mercedes concession stand and had a look around. There was a Macaroon simulator with "Kimi" on the sides. You could buy Kimi and Juan Tee Shirts and Hats/flags etc. But which one was on display? Yep Kimi.

I know he's the leading driver in the points but what's happened to the "draw" that is/(was?) JPM?

Seems to me that he's being sidelined from publicity.

Thoughts people?
Old 22 Aug 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1388178)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe if he started competing with Kimi, they'd let him compete in the merchandising.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1388197)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are a few things in the pipeline:

His own brand of motocross body armour.
A "Juan-brand" F1 brakelight, endorsed by Montiero and Verstappen.

Plans for a pie shop and burger emporium are on hold since he got thinner than Kimi.

Kimi brand vodka and auto-drop trousers are well advanced in development also.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1388198)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I was trying to be serious.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1388202)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't be so ridiculous! Serious? On a monday?
Old 22 Aug 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1388211)   #6
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooops...
I thought Glen was being serious.
Anythings possible.

And as far as Monday morning goes, its mid-week here in Saudi.
My Monday morning blues start on Saturday a.m.

Cheers
Peter
Old 22 Aug 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1388281)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Garcon's probably got a point - Montoya hasn't really done much to shout about this season! When he came into F1, he was good at blowing his own trumpet, and he was hyped up by the media, but in the last couple of years he really hasn't shown much of what we saw in his first season or two in F1, where he was being hailed as the natural successor to Michael Schumacher.

The only thing he's had much publicity for this season is his *ahem* tennis accident.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 22 Aug 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1388284)   #8
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I would have thought JPM tennis rackets, or maybe even a JPM motorbike of some sort...
Old 22 Aug 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1388332)   #9
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's all very well saying they should be equal.But raikkonen will always be Ron Dennis' golden boy. His little Hakkinen. Dennis always favours the Finn.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1388338)   #10
Glen
Veteran

To be serious, the amount of merchandising for each driver will bear no relation to what McLaren wants or favours and will simply be a response to the level of public demand. Kimi is winning, people want Kimi stuff.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1388343)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Now you're coming round to my point.

Carry on.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1388357)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Carry on being sensible? No way.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1388375)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Montoya is getting much closer to Raikkonen, following a ropey start to the season. Unfortunately for him, for this year it's too late in a sense because Raikkonen's the one they're trying to get the driver championship win for.

Some drivers up against a driver of such speed would crumble- not Montoya, and that's a pleasure to see (unlike Alonso VS Fisichella, where it seems perhaps the challenge is too much for Fisichella and he won't raise his standard as a result of such tough competition.)

Interestingly I noticed Ron Dennis speaking much more highly of Montoya in Turkey. Perhaps he felt some of his recent comments, whilst not harsh, came across as a little OTT ("all he had to do was get round the last corner"- Hockenheim), and so he redressed the balance by showing his support. He said something along the lines of "we don't care which of our drivers comes first". I think for the remainder of this season that Raikkonen is in the hunt that may well not be true, but nonetheless I believe the support is there for Montoya because he's raising his game.

Ron Dennis said at the start of the season he hoped being at McLaren would bring the best in Montoya out. I feel he will be proved correct on that.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1388475)   #14
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've seen nothing of Montoya this season - he's gone all grown up and sensible, almost - he's even got a baby! Very boring in the press conferences, hasn't come up with any crazy-wild overtaking maneouvres or anything. Kimi has driven some cracking races and so gets the better image.

McLaren are great at squeezing the life out of drivers; Kimi didn't have any in the first place, clearly better off there.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1388519)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I've felt they have squeezed the life out of him to some extent. The free spirit is gone, he seems less happy and chirpy and he looks very uncomfortable in the McLaren, which I guess was inevitable given he's new to the team. As a result, this season hasn't been great. However, I think he's done alright considering the shoulder injury and subsequent recovery period. I think his mind may be on next year.

As for the merchandising, whoever is winning sells most merchandise. I noticed at Silverstone this year less red and more black/silver blue/yellow.

I can't understand why people don't just stick to one or two drivers and support them all the way.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 23:25 (Ref:1388804)   #16
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting thread Peter.

I imagine the point that who's winning gets the merchandising profile is correct. So I imagine there would be a lean towards Kimi. However I would guess that the marketing/merchandising team also take the location of the gp into account, considering the geographical distribution of their drivers' respective fans. Perhaps they were expecting a large influx of Finnish fans? Is JPM less popular generally in europe? I suspect the situation would be different at Interlagos, Barcelona, Indy, possibly Canada, maybe even Monza??
Old 23 Aug 2005, 00:10 (Ref:1388816)   #17
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester
However I would guess that the marketing/merchandising team also take the location of the gp into account, considering the geographical distribution of their drivers' respective fans. I suspect the situation would be different at Indy ?

Agree with this.
At Indy ( as everybody knows probably ) most popular McLaren merchandising was definitely Montoya, in fact I only recall a small amount of Finnish / KR supporters - unsurprisingly given the distance.
There were some BAR fans, including a trio of face painted BAR codes walking around, some Renault, a few Coulthard - but probably 90% were either head to toe Ferrari supporters, shoes, socks, shorts, shirts, caps, jackets, flags and cool boxes or head to toe JPM supporters. Ferrari seemed to have the biggest amount of painted faces - the Colombians the most large flags.
Given the expense involved in buying all this stuff I was thinking JPMs fans must have spent a fortune in F1 merchandise with him changing from Williams.

Doesn't Hungary have the biggest influx of Finnish fans ?
I don't seem to see much Sauber, Minardi, Jordan these days but Red Bull are masters at marketing so we will see more of them no doubt.
Did they sell much Sauber merchandise at Canadian GP ?
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1389593)   #18
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringottsdirect
Agree with this.
, in fact I only recall a small amount of Finnish / KR supporters - unsurprisingly given the distance.
Yeah, Minnesota and Wisconsin are too far from indy.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1389660)   #19
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CJ
Yeah, Minnesota and Wisconsin are too far from indy.
That's very good.
Now if you can find fifty people in Minnesota and Wisconsin that have heard of Kimi Raikkonen - I will watch my Fargo DVD instead of Lost this week as a punishment.

Seriously though - interesting point !
Old 23 Aug 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1389724)   #20
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just wonder, how many of those Colombian spectators in Indy GP were actually from Florida?

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 25 Aug 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1390806)   #21
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I can't understand why people don't just stick to one or two drivers and support them all the way.

I do! That's why I have BAR and Sauber shirts and caps... (next year BMW?)
Old 26 Aug 2005, 00:06 (Ref:1391440)   #22
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where's the fun in supporting a loser?

Tags
jpm