Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 19 May 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2694367)   #1
ScoopJumps
Racer

United States
ScoopJumps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turbo engine under bonnet temperatures

Hi,

I have a Nissan Pulsar GTiR which is in a mild state of tune but it is running increased boost via an APEXi boost controller (figure unknown currently). It was previously used only for sprinting and other speed events and I have concerns that being used for circuit racing the temperatures are going to be much higher due to the duration of time the engine is going to be boosting.

For those of you that don't know the Pulsar has a very aggressive bonnet vent which normally feeds the standard intercooler however as it has been converted and the intercooler is now front mounted this is now 'vacant' and is going to be instead delivering a large amount of cool air into the engine bay which is a bonus.

Clearly I am going to have to fit an oil cooler but what sort of problems, if any, am I possible to face from the generated temperatures and can I do anything to improve safety/performance ie. wrap the manifolds, shield the wiring, fuel lines etc?

Sorry for my novice questions but forced induction for competition is a new concept to me and I'd rather ask now than have an engine fire at my first event

Thanks,

Sam
Old 19 May 2010, 23:25 (Ref:2694427)   #2
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
We run a Porsche 944 Turbo, and the only issue we've experienced is a reluctance to start at the pitstops, which we put down to heat soak causing fuel vapourisation....we've wrapped the fuel lines in insulating foil, and after switching the engine off turn the ignition back on to keep the fuel pump circulating the fuel, and that seems to have cured the problem...(fingers crossed)

Don't know whether that helps!
Old 20 May 2010, 09:06 (Ref:2694577)   #3
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopJumps View Post
For those of you that don't know the Pulsar has a very aggressive bonnet vent which normally feeds the standard intercooler however as it has been converted and the intercooler is now front mounted this is now 'vacant' and is going to be instead delivering a large amount of cool air into the engine bay which is a bonus.
Will it? I would try doing a pressure difference, you may be surprised (yes looks aggressive but I believe the air is stalled)

I use wrap, but it accelerates the aging of the manifold, inlets I use slivered insulation tape, not sure how much they actually do

Every degree you drop inlet drops the same in exhaust, so check that
High speed means you will likely see lower temps than the road
Old 20 May 2010, 12:53 (Ref:2694712)   #4
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift View Post
Will it? I would try doing a pressure difference, you may be surprised (yes looks aggressive but I believe the air is stalled)

I use wrap, but it accelerates the aging of the manifold, inlets I use slivered insulation tape, not sure how much they actually do

Every degree you drop inlet drops the same in exhaust, so check that
High speed means you will likely see lower temps than the road
Yes to all.

Its important that the air that enters have a proper exit. We tend to open inlets and we forget about outlets...

I dont recommend wrap for the exhaust in a high boost turbo unless many other considerations are taken in the design and its properly tested.

Keeping a cool inlet is good like Notso said.

And the oil radiator is a good thing if package adn weight are not a problem for you and you measure oil temp and choose a proper oil viscosity.
Old 20 May 2010, 15:37 (Ref:2694809)   #5
ScoopJumps
Racer

United States
ScoopJumps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks everyone, given me some food for thought. Particularly the stalled air theory. Will consider that when thinking about positioning the oil cooler.