Old 15 Oct 2007, 09:56 (Ref:2040559)   #51
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
Sorry to burst your bubble, as I too live in the UK, and the media and general public have well and truly jumped on the Hammy bandwagon. It's almost beyond belief how the media salivate over every quote offered by Hamilton, and frankly Alonso is portrayed as the anti-Christ by some sections.
Hardly surprising really though is it? LH is the biggest thing to happen to F1 in years and he's British. Of course the UK media and public are going to be all over him - it's hardly beyond belief! The media of any country that had produced such a star would be exactly same. I can think of several nations who would have gone even more overboard had LH hailed from their shores! We're a proud nation who like to celebrate our sporting successes - we don't get many!!
As for Alonso, I think such portrayals only exist in the tabloid press and the wisdom of the 'man in the pub'. The UK tabloids have always verbally targetted any 'foreigner' who dared to challenge one of 'our boys', be it Piquet, Senna or Schumacher in recent years. It's crap, I know, but that's what the tabloids do.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 11:57 (Ref:2040636)   #52
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Many other sources have suggested:

1.Button
2.Vettel
3.Villeneuve
4.Verstappen

And the odd one out is?
verstappen? must be having a laugh! jv is also very unlikely can't see vettel or button either.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 17:07 (Ref:2040897)   #53
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
verstappen? must be having a laugh! jv is also very unlikely can't see vettel or button either.

The odd-one-out is Button,because his name begins with a 'B' and all the err...........what was the thread about again?
Old 15 Oct 2007, 18:28 (Ref:2040972)   #54
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would imagine Alonso feels very contented right now.He has a shot at a 3rd straight title, an FIA steward to ensure equality in Brazil and the security of a Number 1 drive back in his Renault comfort zone next year.

He's certainly one of the best driver's of his generation, but with the passage of time, I hope he look's back on 2007 and acknowledge's, as a man, he should have conducted himself with so much more dignity towards his team and his team mate.

Nobody will think the worse of you if you loose the title Fernando, it's the way in which you deal with possible defeat that defines you as a champion.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 19:22 (Ref:2041017)   #55
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
I am thinking it may be a joke, given Villeneuve is tied into a contract with Bill Davis for several years and Verstappen is, err, not really required?
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:51 (Ref:2042536)   #56
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

1.Button
2.Vettel
3.Villeneuve
4.Verstappen

And the odd one out is?
Vettel. All the others are has-beens
Old 17 Oct 2007, 11:11 (Ref:2042556)   #57
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not sure Verstappen ever was.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 Oct 2007, 11:34 (Ref:2042579)   #58
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I'm not sure Verstappen ever was.

How True. Jos Graveltrappen never really set the F1 world alight did he.

Old 17 Oct 2007, 11:59 (Ref:2042609)   #59
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not agree, back in 1995 vertsappen was considered hot propety in F1. With a simtek he was fighting for points at argentina 1995... with Gerhard Berger in a ferrari...
Also he was very quick for arrows in 1996
Ok, maybe he was not Schumacher like, but he was quick at his time.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 14:03 (Ref:2042706)   #60
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
He had a time?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 Oct 2007, 15:51 (Ref:2042778)   #61
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTraces

No, but someone set light to his Benetton!
Old 17 Oct 2007, 17:47 (Ref:2042884)   #62
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTraces

He was never likely to at Benetton,TGF made sure of that.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 00:12 (Ref:2043221)   #63
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This is what Prost thinks..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63371

I must say I do not agree at all, but of course respect the mans opinion.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 00:40 (Ref:2043230)   #64
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
someone on the american broadcast (SPEED ) said during the J.G.P. that to be at the top of formula one, you need to be a ruthless <person> and i think he is being just that.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 00:59 (Ref:2043238)   #65
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
"Welcome to the forum" fieldodreams! Please take a moment to look at our posting rules.. http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82104 Thank you..
Old 18 Oct 2007, 01:06 (Ref:2043240)   #66
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
"Welcome to the forum" fieldodreams! Please take a moment to look at our posting rules.. http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82104 Thank you..
yep. done and done. one warning removed and one recieved.

rookie mistake!

i would tend to agree a bit with Prost. if Dennis had allowed Alonso the number one, none of this would be going on. however, if Alonso had been with McLaren before Hamilton arrived i think it would be different, no? Hamilton was virtually raised in McLeran so they definetly been favoring him a little bit. and he seems to get along with everyone while Alonso does not.

dunno, maybe i'm wrong.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 01:25 (Ref:2043242)   #67
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I think even if Fernando had been given clear number one status not much would have changed though..The problem for Fernando is that Hamilton has been as fast most of the year, and at times faster.

This has really rattled Alonso, and made him grab at straws to try to unsettle Lewis in order to get the uperhand.. The race cars I believe to be identical clones..
Old 18 Oct 2007, 03:09 (Ref:2043268)   #68
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I think even if Fernando had been given clear number one status not much would have changed though..The problem for Fernando is that Hamilton has been as fast most of the year, and at times faster.

This has really rattled Alonso, and made him grab at straws to try to unsettle Lewis in order to get the uperhand.. The race cars I believe to be identical clones..
i agree that Hamilton's presence has most certainly rattled Alonso, but the question is why Hamilton was as fast as Alonso. Are the cars really that much alike?? i don't know.

allz i know is Lewis is fast....real fast! but in the back of my mind is what a buddy told me recently. Look at Renault; they were terrible til Alonso got there and now that he left, they are terrible again. McLeran struggled the last couple of years and when Alonso arrives, they are fast. Could be a coicendence, tho.

what do i know, i'm merely a rookie.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 08:02 (Ref:2043318)   #69
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
The race cars I believe to be identical clones..
Really! How can you tell? And how will anyone else be able to tell either?

Identical twins may look identical,but underneath...........

I mean what are they going to do if Alonso for example retires with an electrical fault (a real one,not one where the piston smashes through the alternator) are the Spanish Motor Sport Authorities going to have it investigated by the FIA?

Slightly off topic there,sorry.

Last edited by Marbot; 18 Oct 2007 at 08:10.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 10:43 (Ref:2043423)   #70
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For all the thinking behind Prost's comments, they look rather empty when you consider Hamilton has actually been the better driver than Alonso this year.

Should he have hired Hamilton as number 1 in his first year and made Alonso a number 2?!

Of course not- they should have been equal from the start!

Besides, I think Alonso may well have had a chance to develop some kind of bond with Ron Dennis, but he ruined any chance of that with his whining.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 13:16 (Ref:2043572)   #71
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Really! How can you tell? And how will anyone else be able to tell either?

Identical twins may look identical,but underneath...........
i agree...i don't think there has ever been two EXACTLY the same cars in f1 history. there may have close cars, but never the same.

BR, were they not hired as equals? one gets the fast car one race and one the next.

that was Alonso problem; two time defending champ gets "equal" attention from his team with a rookie?! he has the chance to be one of the few 3 time defending champs and he may get stood up by a rookie, whom could also take his record of youngest champ ever. i'd be a little "hot" under the collar, too.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 13:31 (Ref:2043585)   #72
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
When F1 cars were largely put together by hand I would agree that two cars from the same team would have had differences, but these days when all components are built to extremely high tolerances The cars I believe are carbon copies..

One car might end up feeling a little better than the other at the end of the day, but the only way I driver could tell that is to drive both cars one after the other..McLaren give both their drivers the same machinery, of that I am convinced..
Old 18 Oct 2007, 15:45 (Ref:2043722)   #73
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
McLaren give both their drivers the same machinery, of that I am convinced..
There is no evidence to suggest that this is the case,only heresay.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 20:02 (Ref:2043929)   #74
hotwheels
Racer

hotwheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the problem here for me is more about how fernando has been dealing with the pressure of the whole situation. Should he not made so many mistakes (canada, i.e.) or stayed behind BMWs (bahrain, budapest) he would be in a much better condition next Sunday.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 23:52 (Ref:2044086)   #75
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
There is no evidence to suggest that this is the case,only heresay.

And no evidence to suggest that this is not the case you see, so on and on we go...McLaren are sticklers for the even stevens concept of going racing.

The FIA have not proven that this is not the case, why is this? it's because they can't find anything wrong why? because there is nothing to the story it is just that "a story" to sell news...

Why is it that Michael never went to McLaren I wonder?