Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 14 Jan 2016, 22:23 (Ref:3604871)   #276
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
If I am reading this aright I am sharing this thread with a bunch of ill-educated, unqualified practical genius's.

Nice to know.

Mind you I must admit to having a degree ..........

............. of scepticism about university education.

I am a practical genius... well, either that, or practically a genius!

Is there a difference?
Old 14 Jan 2016, 22:34 (Ref:3604877)   #277
davspeed
Rookie

United Kingdom
north lincs
davspeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
My niece has just started a paramedic degree course, inc placements, but hasn't passed her test yet. She failed the theory exam - arhh the benefits of a private education!
Andy my daughter is a paramedic with the London ambulance service. One of the first things that shocked us and showed what sort of times we live in is that while on duty they have to wear a stab vest. As a parent that is quite worrying.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 06:33 (Ref:3604935)   #278
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
How about this for a bit of good PR-

http://www.airline.ee/air-europa-exp...job-interview/

Read on to see the other charge they have hit the news for!

Must be nice employer to work for......
Old 15 Jan 2016, 06:42 (Ref:3604936)   #279
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sky Team. Hmm, that includes Delta, KLM, Air France, Aeroflot among others. Apart from KLM and Aeroflot I wouldn't recommend flying with any of them. So that approach just about sums up the ethos in that bunch.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 07:04 (Ref:3604945)   #280
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Someone mention Delta 😗
Old 15 Jan 2016, 07:28 (Ref:3604950)   #281
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I can remember being paid expenses to attend job interviews, so times seem to have definitely changed.......

Old 15 Jan 2016, 07:36 (Ref:3604955)   #282
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I once got on a flight from JFK to Istanbul. Delta Airlines. The seat back was broken and wouldn't go forward for take off. The stewardess blamed me for delaying the flight. Apparently I shouldn't have reported it.

Another time I only had $100 bills and wanted to buy a drink. The stewardess complained that she couldn't change $100 so jokingly, I suggested she just kept the drinks coming until it was used up. That led to an argument with the purser. Delta Airlines = shyte.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 07:57 (Ref:3604961)   #283
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Think it was same airline I flew to States with many years ago. I remember the question of whether passengers wanted the steak or prawn based meal being asked quite simply and very abrubtly- "Shrimp or Beef?" No other words, just those three!
Old 15 Jan 2016, 09:35 (Ref:3604982)   #284
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just been looking to buy a new transponder for the MG. It seems we now buy them on a 1, 2 or 5 year plan for something called "my laps". Does this mean we are paying for someone to store all of our times over that period?

These come from TSL. Is there an alternative?
Old 15 Jan 2016, 10:24 (Ref:3604991)   #285
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad start to the year for celebs kicking the bucket.

Not really a well known actor but probably remembered well by most of us on here, Brian Bedford who played Scott Stoddard (Jim Clark lookalike) in the film Grand Prix, passed away this week.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 15 Jan 2016, 10:27 (Ref:3604992)   #286
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yup. I think his was the only one unconnected with cancer.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 10:41 (Ref:3604998)   #287
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yup. I think his was the only one unconnected with cancer.
Not so sure of that, one report I saw did mention it.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 15 Jan 2016, 10:42 (Ref:3605000)   #288
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Oh well.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 12:00 (Ref:3605023)   #289
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Just been looking to buy a new transponder for the MG. It seems we now buy them on a 1, 2 or 5 year plan for something called "my laps". Does this mean we are paying for someone to store all of our times over that period?

These come from TSL. Is there an alternative?
Think we only have TSL that are universally acceptable. Looks like it's all change in the transponder world, Peter, guess they have a new model that replaces the unit we are familiar with. Seems it has a memory so can plug into a pc etc and download info?

Although unit is a lot cheaper than old version, the subscription makes up the difference. Wonder what happens after 5 years?
Old 15 Jan 2016, 12:05 (Ref:3605024)   #290
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter, TSL get them from MyLaps in Holland I think. They set the price. Monopoly I think. If you want I'll ask them to send you a fast one! 😀
Old 15 Jan 2016, 12:20 (Ref:3605028)   #291
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Think we only have TSL that are universally acceptable. Looks like it's all change in the transponder world, Peter, guess they have a new model that replaces the unit we are familiar with. Seems it has a memory so can plug into a pc etc and download info?

Although unit is a lot cheaper than old version, the subscription makes up the difference. Wonder what happens after 5 years?
Yes that's what I thought. I've also got another piece of technology for reviewing lap times etc. Just seems a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Peter, TSL get them from MyLaps in Holland I think. They set the price. Monopoly I think. If you want I'll ask them to send you a fast one! 😀
Yes, I need a really fast one! Ok I'll buy the 5 year plan.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 12:34 (Ref:3605037)   #292
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
MyLaps used to be AMB. If you want you can use TAG Heuer like we do in Super 1 but they are even more expensive. FWIW unless your car goes across the timing strips at over 110mph you will be OK with the yellow karting 'ponder. There are any number of those on FleaBay at <£150 and I know someone who can put new batteries in your old transponder and bring them back to life for <£50.

Virtually all our kart races are timed using Alpha software with live timing via the web and full results on line with sector times etc the next day as soon as the CoC signs them off. Pretty advanced stuff and impressive too.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 12:39 (Ref:3605039)   #293
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I've got the old type in the Rover. This one is for the MG which I'm hoping to recommission this year.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 12:55 (Ref:3605043)   #294
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Bad start to the year for celebs kicking the bucket.

Not really a well known actor but probably remembered well by most of us on here, Brian Bedford who played Scott Stoddard (Jim Clark lookalike) in the film Grand Prix, passed away this week.
And Maria-Teresa de Fillipis aged 89 first woman to take part in a Formula 1 race, a great lady.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 13:06 (Ref:3605050)   #295
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
She was also honorary president of the GPDA.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 14:16 (Ref:3605065)   #296
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
She was also honorary president of the GPDA.
I was advised of an on-line magazine 'Veloce', by a friend, and I googled Veloce Magazine. I found a most interesting 'publication?' Well worth a look and has a very good item on the Lady full of info about her career, and life since retirement following the death of her friend Jean Behra.

Bob.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 15:22 (Ref:3605084)   #297
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well we are half way through our dry January . How's it going
Old 15 Jan 2016, 15:23 (Ref:3605085)   #298
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Going fine. Only had a couple of large whiskies last night. About the same as the night before.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 15:57 (Ref:3605096)   #299
rbm
Racer

rbm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
going well so so...

... good bit only just over a week 'till we fly off to sunny SA to play Formula J's

... not so good bit, spent another over an hour this morning having the remains of one of the teeth they tried to save after the Silverstone fight dug out of my lower jaw - bit of a mess they had to take some of the jaw bone as well - quite sore and still quite a lot of blood going on.

... other good bit, eldest Lad has booked flights and hotels, for him and his young lassy to come and support us at the Lurani Monza, so can't let him down (can we dear)

Richard

Last edited by rbm; 15 Jan 2016 at 15:59. Reason: typo as usual - must lean to psell
Old 15 Jan 2016, 16:21 (Ref:3605100)   #300
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davspeed View Post
Andy my daughter is a paramedic with the London ambulance service. One of the first things that shocked us and showed what sort of times we live in is that while on duty they have to wear a stab vest. As a parent that is quite worrying.
I understand your concerns. Mrs 97 has done a number of accident and ergonomic investigations with the Ambulance service, and been on shift with them a fair few times (inc having to help out with CPR to some poor chap who'd had a heart attack - she broke his ribs whilst trying to get the heart going. Not unusual apparently. I digress). Anyway, given the way Paramedics are treated by the general public at many incident scenes; she reckons it's a far more unpleasant, dangerous, stressful and hard working profession than being in the fire service. Which is why you have to be a practical person, and good with people, not full of facts that you can't apply, which is sort of where we came in on this topic.