Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 18 Nov 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1769049)   #51
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Dont like those robbers either.
Al is there anything or anyone you do like?
Old 18 Nov 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1769129)   #52
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the salary of an NHS GP paid by the taxpayer these days ?
Old 18 Nov 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1769226)   #53
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Come of it falce they are a bunch of robbers, ny daughter has just finished her first house purchase and those blood suckers have skinned he, £80 for example for half a dozen returned phone calls because they are never 'available' you know as well as I do its a licence to print money.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 09:16 (Ref:1769468)   #54
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I charge more.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1769792)   #55
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah but you have to go to the North Pole to do it!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 08:37 (Ref:1770092)   #56
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
I charge more.
Perhaps you do ,but you do have a lot of Russian about !
Old 20 Nov 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1770519)   #57
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
steveng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't got the very small print in front of me but as far as I know salbutamol (Ventolin) is allowed as long as you are an asthmatic. Quite why one would want to take it if you weren't I cannot imagine. The list of banned substances is quite clear from the MSA but the exemptions take more sorting out. Hope that helps.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1770590)   #58
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenRae
. . . Oh as my doctor said she wouldn't dream of charging me for the medical, it only takes two minutes!
Are you sure she's really a doctor?

Jim
Old 20 Nov 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1770685)   #59
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
Are you sure she's really a doctor?

Jim
She certainly is, her husband is a consultant and her kids are mad keen on motor racing....I don't think they are strapped for cash!
Old 21 Nov 2006, 05:42 (Ref:1771158)   #60
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Come of it falce they are a bunch of robbers, ny daughter has just finished her first house purchase and those blood suckers have skinned he, £80 for example for half a dozen returned phone calls because they are never 'available' you know as well as I do its a licence to print money.
Just to really peeve you Al.

Last year I needed a stress ECG for my Int C licence. I also needed one for my job so off I toddle to the consultant in Harley street, walked into his office and saw loads of pics of well known historic touring cars. I said "I know the owner of those cars". The consultant told me he was the owner's doctor and we spent some time discussing the cars, events and of course the people we knew. Upshot is that my company paid the medical bill and I got the test results for my licence for free.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 08:23 (Ref:1771208)   #61
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Last year I needed a stress ECG for my Int C licence. I also needed one for my job so off I toddle to the consultant in Harley street, walked into his office and saw loads of pics of well known historic touring cars. I said "I know the owner of those cars". The consultant told me he was the owner's doctor and we spent some time discussing the cars, events and of course the people we knew. Upshot is that my company paid the medical bill and I got the test results for my licence for free.
HUH!!!
Old 21 Nov 2006, 08:54 (Ref:1771223)   #62
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:

Money to money, tell me the same old story.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1771272)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Terence.

With an Int C I can race in Russia. Trouble is I never got the time.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1771312)   #64
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Terence.

With an Int C I can race in Russia. Trouble is I never got the time.
Ice racing??
Old 21 Nov 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1771318)   #65
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That's in the winter. Its pretty warm in the summer.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1771424)   #66
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I know someone who did something similar with an HGV licence only the DVLA paid for his MSA test.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 14:25 (Ref:1771466)   #67
Instructor
Rookie

Instructor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm not sure about the medical.
I think if it has been 6months then they may require another.
I agree is a ripoff (not of the visor kind!).
Don't let them kid you into needing the full ECG thing too unless you are going International.

Steve L
Old 22 Nov 2006, 05:26 (Ref:1771997)   #68
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Depends on your age. For a Nat B and Nat A if under 40 you get away with a Bi Annual. Over 40 I beleive its annual.

For an Int C last year it was Bi annual stress test (ECG) and annual GP medical. The annual GP medical applies to Nat A & B if over 45.

Anyway as I'm miles away from the info and the website isn't working very well perhaps someone can correct me.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1772966)   #69
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveng
I haven't got the very small print in front of me but as far as I know salbutamol (Ventolin) is allowed as long as you are an asthmatic. Quite why one would want to take it if you weren't I cannot imagine. The list of banned substances is quite clear from the MSA but the exemptions take more sorting out. Hope that helps.

From what i can work out if you take Salbutomol you need an " Abbreviated Therapeutic Use Exemption Certificate."

Can any doctor confirm this?

Probably still cost you £40 though.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1773233)   #70
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks Rescue Dude. I'd "filed" my form pending the medical but have dug it out and can now read the small print properly (very long arms and a telescope needed). You're absolutely right.

Last year I "forgot" to apply for a therapeutic use exemption, but the doc's involved this year so he's bound to note it on the medical. Bit of a farce isn't it, I barely trouble the scorer, let alone the award engraver so it's clearly not performance enhancing. More use checking my car's fuel tank than my blood stream!
Old 24 Nov 2006, 09:27 (Ref:1773851)   #71
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
steveng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which drugs can be 'performance enhancing' and which are not is a subject that the MSA do not appear to have thought about that hard. Beta blockers for example are very performance enhancing for sports that require a steady hand eg shooting or snooker but can cause airway restriction and would be very performance restricting in say running or cycling. Anabolic steroids are great for athletes but cause testicular atrophy which we all know is bad for motor racing when big balls are sometimes needed. I think that some of the contents of such innocuous cold remedies such as Night Nurse are foolishly banned. My suspicion is that the MSA have just taken the list of banned drugs from the Olympics or similar and applied them to our sport without much thought, I may be wrong.
In my view the only substances that should be banned and policed well are alcohol and stimulants like cocaine. I have a feeling that both of these are used more than we think.
Old 24 Nov 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1774198)   #72
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suppose it's more about being seen to have your house in order than actually having it (oh, and don't forget extorting an extra 40 quid from the competitior). I've got to do the same thing if I take out a full cycle racing licence too.

Are you shaying there'sh driversh racing under the affluence of incahol? Good heavensh.
Old 24 Nov 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1774214)   #73
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Steve, Others.

If you read the Blue Book, you will see (E 9.1.2.1.2) that the MSA, in common with every other respectable sporting authority subscribes to the World Anti-Doping Agency protocols, and in particular the "Prohibited List" published by WADA. Yes, this does come down from the International Olympic Committee, and was started after the cycling scandals of a few years ago.

Read all about it at http://www.wada-ama.org/en/

John
Old 24 Nov 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1774252)   #74
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD
Steve, Others.
If you read the Blue Book, you will see (E 9.1.2.1.2) that the MSA, in common with every other respectable sporting authority subscribes to the World Anti-Doping Agency protocols, and in particular the "Prohibited List" published by WADA. Yes, this does come down from the International Olympic Committee, and was started after the cycling scandals of a few years ago.
Read all about it at http://www.wada-ama.org/en/
John
Aahh, so we have the cyclists to blame....
Old 25 Nov 2006, 09:10 (Ref:1774612)   #75
midgetman
Veteran

There actually is a body of opinion that says - drugs in sport, so what? Can drugs improve your driving skills? Can they improve your bravery? Can they improve your accuracy? Can they improve your racing lines?

At first glance it appears not, in which case why worry? Alcohol and performance REDUCING drugs seem more of a problem. Or have I just led a sheltered life?

Like I said, far more use checking for octane booster and traction control than worrying about whether I take salbutomol or have OD-ed on Night Nurse!