Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Nov 2005, 00:41 (Ref:1463663)   #1
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A new Spanish-based and backed F1 team in 2008?

F1racing.net is reporting that a Spanish-based and backed team is being put together by Alfonso de Orleans-Borbon with an intention to enter Formula One from 2008.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=103383

Unlike Super Aguri (apparently), it appears that Senor Orleans-Borbon is taking his time in the planning stages, saying that by the middle of 2006, he'll be in a position to know whether his team will be able to proceed.

It looks like that Repsol and Telefonica, both Spanish companies, as I recall, are going to support the project.

Cue the inevitable media speculation that Alonso will join the team...
Old 18 Nov 2005, 01:45 (Ref:1463702)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
LOL, let us deal with the speculation surrounding the existence of the team before we worry about Fernando! It will be very interesting to see how this develops, and here is hoping it turns into something.

It is interseting that they are picking 2008 for entry. Do we have any idea what the extended Concorde Agreement (ala the 2012 one) has to say about the number of teams? Assuming Aguri will be running by then, and that others hadn't joined, then that would take us up to the 24 car maximum.

Ya know, sod it, I think i will invoke some Fernando speculation after all. However, it is to suggest a reason why he wouldnt join them.

Ignoring the obvious reasons against such a move, could it not be seen as actively in the team's interest to not take him? They will be served better with F1 being as popular a possible in Spain, which is best served by Fernando winning. I dare say that this team wouldn't be able to provide that for some time, if at all.

Anyway, let us remember this is in the most early of feasibility study phases.

Still, it is the off-season and all that!
Old 18 Nov 2005, 01:50 (Ref:1463706)   #3
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing Engineering Grand Prix-Nissan [rebadged renault engine. I doubt Flavio will let his golden boy go easily] in 2008
this should be fun Super Aguri-honda, Dubai-Mercades and RE GP-Nissan to join the grid.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 02:04 (Ref:1463713)   #4
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, we couldn't have all three, everything else being equal, because it would breach the 12-team limit (unless CA extensions allow for more).
Old 18 Nov 2005, 02:20 (Ref:1463724)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I would put money on a Chinese Team/Driver being around in 2008.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 02:24 (Ref:1463730)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Imagine a state-backed Chinese team. Jeez. The spending power would be something else.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 02:47 (Ref:1463756)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The Grandstands at Shanghai would be packed,even if they didn't really want to be there.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 02:55 (Ref:1463760)   #8
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm pretty confidant that the maximum 24 cars rule would be relaxed if a team committed to F1 for a descent period.

Or there would be a return to pre-qualifying...

DKGandBH
Old 18 Nov 2005, 03:05 (Ref:1463765)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
How do you get that commitment from a team though? Any entrant would insist on being allowed to leave should they so desire.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 05:45 (Ref:1463817)   #10
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
[mistaken duplicated post]
Old 18 Nov 2005, 05:46 (Ref:1463819)   #11
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxr
Racing Engineering Grand Prix-Nissan
Now there's an example of a completely pointless duplication of words where none are needed. Just 'Nissan Grand Prix' would state exactly the same message, without wasting half a tree of paper.
Back to topic, would be great to have a Spanish team, just shows how the addition of a national interest in the sport (Alonso) can generate massive attention and open a whole new market. So, as suggested earlier, lets have a Chinese woman and an African American driving for them. (although I am against any form of positive or negative discrimination)
Old 18 Nov 2005, 07:50 (Ref:1463854)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The 24 car rule may well be gone for 2008 - as far as I recall it's a function of the current concorde agreement.

Andy - this team would likely be called "Racing Engineering" because that's what Alfonso's team is called.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 08:09 (Ref:1463861)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
It looks like that Repsol and Telefonica, both Spanish companies, as I recall, are going to support the project.
Since Telefonica apparently will decrease their MotoGP sponsorship due to the mess that is going on there right now, this would make sense.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 09:18 (Ref:1463897)   #14
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that the number of teams is on the rise again I think the 24 car limit will probably be modified/removed in the near future. As far as the Spanish F1 team goes, best of luck to any and all who try and make the grid, i wish them well.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 12:13 (Ref:1464034)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Telefónica by now is said to be "concentrating on F1". This at the moment means Alonso, but if de Orleans's plans come to fruition, the more the merrier.
So far, he's kind of asking and planning everything to see if it would be viable to indeed start a team. There's been talk of Montmeló, Jerez and Madrid all wanting to be the home of the possible team. I would say Montmeló would be the best place as the track is one where everyone tests and there are racing-related industries nearby (including a composites factory which has sometimes helped some of the current F1 teams lacking parts).

I can't say I feel Spanish-pride in this because I'm Catalan but it would be a nice opportunity to see PDLR given a drive. At the moment he would be the top driver from Spain not racing anywhere. Marc Gené, Oriol ServiÃ*... and then you could go down to GP2, where Borja GarcÃ*a has already raced with Racing Engineering (and scored two podiums).

A bit OT, but it's quite a sweet moment for Spanish talent right now. There's potentially 4 drivers driving or testing in the top series and a bunch of young guys coming up. Let's see if sponsors step up.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 12:26 (Ref:1464043)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Racing Engineering appear to be a strong team, who have done well in other championships. In days gone by they would already be close to entering Formula 1, when the expenses and facilities requriements weren't so high. I would love to see this happen - Indie teams could be needed in the long-term when manuafcturers re-evaluate their involvement. I guess one driver would be Spanish, and Jordi is quite right that they have an embarassment of riches on offer at present (same goes for bike racing actually - can the UK have some of what you have in your water please?).
Old 18 Nov 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1464046)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I agree with Draven totallly.

No reason why this won't get off the ground - publicity for the sport in Spain is sky high so businessmen, drivers, sponsors etc.. will all be hoping to exploit it.

Hope it doesn't turn out to be another 'Scuderia Bravo' or whatever it was called that was trying to get off the ground in 1992... I believe that team was supposed to run the chassis that Andrea Moda ended up with?!

Would have been great if only for the fact that it ruined Jordi Gene's hopes of an F1 drive if i remember correctly..

Anyone else remember this story?!!
Old 18 Nov 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1464134)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
The 24 car rule may well be gone for 2008 - as far as I recall it's a function of the current concorde agreement.
Yep, it is a Concorde Agreement thing.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1469308)   #19
bradrive
Racer

Brazil
Italy&Spain&Brazil
bradrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RE to use Dallara chassis and Cosworth engine to enter in F1 in 2007?
Old 24 Nov 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1469316)   #20
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
isnt he registered here? we could just ask him
Old 24 Nov 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1469370)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor
isnt he registered here? we could just ask him
WHO ?????
Old 24 Nov 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1469376)   #22
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
WHO ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
F1racing.net is reporting that a Spanish-based and backed team is being put together by Alfonso de Orleans-Borbon with an intention to enter Formula One from 2008.
HE!
Old 24 Nov 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1469379)   #23
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any new teams would be most welcome and I can see more wanting to join in, especially now with the take off of A1GP, you could see fledgling teams from new countries such as China testing themselves in this formula first maybe ??

I think the more teams the better it might help ease the division between the top teams and rest by increasing their bargaining power, who knows .... off season speculation and all that ....

As for that Nissan Team name what madness, even crazier than the Honda BAR farce ... Why wouldn't they use the Nismo branding I wonder ?
Old 24 Nov 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1469384)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor
HE!

Great ! So you could point to us what is his user name, please.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1469385)   #25
flor
Veteran

http://tentenths.com/forum/member.php?u=10239