Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Nov 2021, 07:30 (Ref:4084311)   #1
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercars: the new owners

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e8136c66503869

Braking News can reveal that no job at Supercars will be safe when the RACE group officially takes ownership of the sport this week.

'Set to take over from Archer Capital’s Peter Wiggs as Supercars chairman after spearheading the $100-million buyout, RACE powerbroker Barclay Nettleford will not be handing out guarantees to Seamer or any Supercars employee after his group obtained full control of the sport.

Sean Seamer could be on the chopping block.
It is understood that Seamer and his key staff will be asked to audition for their jobs and will be required to present a business plan to the RACE group, which was formed when Nettleford’s TGI Sport formed a partnership with the Australian Racing Group (ARG) to buy the sport.

Despite a push from the ARG side of the ownership group to have ARG CEO Matt Baird installed as CEO, RACE’s decision will be guided by the review and Seamer is not a dead man walking as some have suggested

We have been told the new owners will return to the glitz and glamour that has been lacking since Tony Cochrane’s departure.'

Good luck Mr Nettlefold.
Old 19 Nov 2021, 08:09 (Ref:4084313)   #2
dirtymacca
Racer

dirtymacca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

No jobs for the "boys".... great move and the best way to get the right person for the right job!
Old 21 Nov 2021, 02:32 (Ref:4084685)   #3
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymacca View Post
No jobs for the "boys".... great move and the best way to get the right person for the right job!
"despite a bid from ARG to have Matt Braid installed for the job"

=

Jobs for the boys.
Old 24 Nov 2021, 00:34 (Ref:4085207)   #4
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymacca View Post
Famous last words...
Old 24 Nov 2021, 05:54 (Ref:4085230)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How about the girls? There are/were a bunch of credible female management talent inside AVESCO and co across the years... is all forgiven & they can return to the top of the tree?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Nov 2021, 06:05 (Ref:4085231)   #6
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
How about the girls? There are/were a bunch of credible female management talent inside AVESCO and co across the years... is all forgiven & they can return to the top of the tree?
I guess the name is poisonous but you could do way worse than someone as polished as Jess Dane!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 24 Nov 2021, 23:00 (Ref:4085362)   #7
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I guess the name is poisonous but you could do way worse than someone as polished as Jess Dane!

Not when she owns a chunk of a team competing in the series
Old 1 Dec 2021, 04:12 (Ref:4086083)   #8
cavvy
Veteran

Are we going to be introduced to the new owners at Bathurst ?

If so, who is going to be rolled out ?

Mark Skaife or Craig Kelly Picture: AN1images.com
Yes, thats tongue in cheek, but...

Last edited by cavvy; 1 Dec 2021 at 04:23. Reason: photo from 2004
Old 17 Jan 2022, 01:25 (Ref:4094075)   #9
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
New CEO announced today - starts in role on February 1st.

There'll be plenty on his plate to deal with, some big decisions to be taken (by the Board one assumes) that he'll need to sort out the mechanics and deliver.
Old 17 Jan 2022, 04:11 (Ref:4094091)   #10
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Members of new Supercars Board revealed too. The Supercars Commission now includes a representative from every team - quite a different approach, might be quite long-winded meetings!
Old 17 Jan 2022, 04:37 (Ref:4094092)   #11
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any other sport that has its head honchos also doing the commentary? While some media types like Eddie McGuire in the AFL and Phil Gould in the NRL, appear to have the ear of people of those at the top, those sports don't have Gillion McLachlan or Peter V'landys in the commentary box.
Old 17 Jan 2022, 04:53 (Ref:4094096)   #12
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Appointing someone who’s been there for twenty years is hardly instituting some fresh blood or a fresh approach from the new owners.

Just looks like more of the same from a person who has been a ‘yes’ man for two decades.

Yet again we have a CEO telling us ad naseum how great these “Gen3” prototypes are, aren’t the fans being loud enough in their approval?
Old 17 Jan 2022, 05:27 (Ref:4094097)   #13
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack65 View Post
Is there any other sport that has its head honchos also doing the commentary? While some media types like Eddie McGuire in the AFL and Phil Gould in the NRL, appear to have the ear of people of those at the top, those sports don't have Gillion McLachlan or Peter V'landys in the commentary box.
Is Shane Howard doing commentary ?

Skaife is the public 'race face' on the Board.

Interesting to conclude Henslow were responsible for the DOMA Group investment. Canberra based developers who have cashed in some property in the last 12 months.
Old 18 Jan 2022, 04:29 (Ref:4094204)   #14
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack65 View Post
It is a joke.Motor sport media in Australia fail to recognise the difference between journalism and public relations years ago.Frightened of losing the all important access.It translates to them having zero credibility and not being worthwhile to read or listen to.
Crompton even admitted in his book that since he upset a few people with opinions on an incident at Winton nearly 20 years ago he has never uttered another critical comment.Pathetic.
Old 18 Jan 2022, 07:39 (Ref:4094211)   #15
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Crompton even admitted in his book that since he upset a few people with opinions on an incident at Winton nearly 20 years ago he has never uttered another critical comment.Pathetic.
Exactly, and that was before he was an employee of Supercars.

The way Supercars controls its media has been ridiculous, more ridiculous that the “fans” seem to lap it up and congratulate the commentators on what a good (PR) job they’re doing…
Old 18 Jan 2022, 07:55 (Ref:4094213)   #16
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Exactly, and that was before he was an employee of Supercars.

The way Supercars controls its media has been ridiculous, more ridiculous that the “fans” seem to lap it up and congratulate the commentators on what a good (PR) job they’re doing…
Unlike say the AFL or Cricket Australia, let alone ahem... Tennis

Old 18 Jan 2022, 10:49 (Ref:4094237)   #17
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Making a comparison to NRL Phil Gould (9) and Paul Kent (Fox) are heavily critical of clubs,coaches,players and administrators on a near daily basis when they deserve it.Gives them credibility with the audience.
The greatest cricket commentator of all time Richie Benaud also had no hesitation in criticising players or administrators.I have probably heard more genuine criticism of aspects of the sport of cricket in the last 6 weeks on Fox then I heard in the last 15 years I watched Supercars on tv (I gave up watching Supercars on tv about 6 years ago largely because the commentary was so cliched and vanilla).
It seems that people like Supercars are convinced if you just feed the audience promotional gibberish disguised as commentary people will believe every word and that’s all they want to hear.Maybe those people are all that’s left watching.
Old 18 Jan 2022, 22:17 (Ref:4094332)   #18
one five five
Veteran

Quote:

Do those organisations produce the TV broadcasts for themselves? Do they employ the commentary team?
Old 19 Jan 2022, 22:49 (Ref:4094475)   #19
cavvy
Veteran

Follow the money ... ratings/advertising ..... announcers that cause viewers to turn off would be a factor.
Old 20 Jan 2022, 08:36 (Ref:4094526)   #20
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Follow the money ... ratings/advertising ..... announcers that cause viewers to turn off would be a factor.
Those factors show that commentators with strong and honest opinions are the ones that viewers want to watch.
What causes viewers to turn off are “commentators” with nothing but bland,uncritical non opinions.The role of media is not to stroke the egos of competitors.
Sports bodies who want to relentlessly control the message underestimate the intelligence of their audience and their ability to see through bs.
Old 20 Jan 2022, 10:06 (Ref:4094547)   #21
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Those factors show that commentators with strong and honest opinions are the ones that viewers want to watch.
Unless those commentators happen to be British, with a strong opinion that Hamilton was unjustly denied the title?

Quote:
On the other hand Johnny Herbert,Damon Hill and from what I’ve read in the past month Andrew Benson look at everything with the Union Jack obscuring their judgement.
Old 20 Jan 2022, 10:41 (Ref:4094548)   #22
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Unless those commentators happen to be British, with a strong opinion that Hamilton was unjustly denied the title?
You don’t have to agree with every opinion you hear.As a matter of fact it would be crazy if you do.
However it adds to the entertainment if the coverage has a range of dissenting opinions rather than all plain vanilla.
Yes I think Herbert was almost comically biased towards Hamilton (the look Felipe Massa shot him in the paddock show post race at Monza said more than words ever could) but that is better than the expert commentator getting no more insightful than saying endlessly “the best in the business driving at the very top of their game”.
In the case you mentioned the opinions of Herbert and Hill were balanced by those of Brundle,di Resta,Rosberg,Button and in the case of Monza Massa.
Old 20 Jan 2022, 10:56 (Ref:4094551)   #23
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
In the case you mentioned the opinions of Herbert and Hill were balanced by those of Brundle,di Resta,Rosberg,Button and in the case of Monza Massa.
So when you look across the range of British reporters, there is balance.

At least we know there is a range of British commentary for consumption; a range of dissenting opinions rather than all plain vanilla.
Old 21 Jan 2022, 10:11 (Ref:4094686)   #24
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
It's interesting to me to see that Alan sees Brundle and Joe Saward are balanced. I consider them two huge Hamilton groupies.
Old 22 Jan 2022, 09:45 (Ref:4094840)   #25
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
It's interesting to me to see that Alan sees Brundle and Joe Saward are balanced. I consider them two huge Hamilton groupies.
I have spoken with Joe, and while he holds Hamilton in the highest regards he is also a very big fan of Max.