Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Nov 2021, 06:48 (Ref:4081760)   #1
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Todays Super car drivers

Hey guys
As i said elsewhere im an old timer but stopped watching a generation ago.
Now I will give it another go

Give me a primer on the drivers.
Who are the hot shots, the stars, the dark horses and the young newbies showing real promise.... who are the over rated, and the let downs.

Of course im aware SVG Whincup, are the cream, and mostert winterbottom and reynolds are very good, but the rest are just names
rank them and catch me up
( no fighting now)
Old 6 Nov 2021, 15:35 (Ref:4081800)   #2
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watch and make your own Opinion.

Knock yaself out ;O)
Old 6 Nov 2021, 23:53 (Ref:4081879)   #3
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Hey guys

Who are the hot shots, the stars, the dark horses and the young newbies showing real promise.... who are the over rated, and the let downs.

Of course im aware SVG Whincup, are the cream, and mostert winterbottom and reynolds are very good, but the rest are just names
( no fighting now)
Brodie Kostecki is one to keep an eye on, he seems to have a bit of “old-school” in him from an attitude perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Watch and make your own Opinion.

Knock yaself out ;O)
Very helpful comment……
Old 7 Nov 2021, 19:57 (Ref:4082012)   #4
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO, Anton DE Pasquale is a mix of Marcos Ambrose and Scott McLachlan, Anton was a great replacement for Scott = fast and reliable.
Old 8 Nov 2021, 00:35 (Ref:4082079)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are some of the current pilots who are difficult to warm to..

..where their on-camera patter is one dimensional, or speaks as if they have been competing at the top level for years and won a zillion championships when from the outside it could be suggested they are lucky to keep their seat.

I dont know if the teams bother with serious media training, or to introduce them to content creators, to show the world that they are more than just steering wheel attendants

Personal brand matters now more than ever, with so many pilots seemingly coming thru from relative obscurity, and very little distinction between them and the existing crowd.

Some get cut thru despite their on track results. That is probably true as much of the veterans as of the newcomers.

How do you discover you actually like & support a sportsman/sportswoman when you have very little opportunity to discover what they are about?

It is a genuine issue.. especially with the car makers not personally backing drivers any more, and feeding them into their PR systems..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Nov 2021, 23:35 (Ref:4082277)   #6
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep your eye on Will Brown. You'll find him hiding behind a smile, even when his team ruins his race and pitstops.
Old 9 Nov 2021, 01:38 (Ref:4082286)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Keep your eye on Will Brown. You'll find him hiding behind a smile, even when his team ruins his race and pitstops.
An impression I get of Mr Brown is IDGAF....
Old 9 Nov 2021, 04:52 (Ref:4082296)   #8
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Really? I don't see that. I'm sure he cares, he's just not an idiot that carries on and attacks his team. He seems grateful to be there. I am only going by how he comes across in the telecasts (TCR too)
Old 9 Nov 2021, 05:02 (Ref:4082297)   #9
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Just a young gun with a different happy personality seems like to me. Much like a Young Davey.
Old 9 Nov 2021, 06:14 (Ref:4082306)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Just a young gun with a different happy personality seems like to me. Much like a Young Davey.
Is that really a rolemodel to be following?
Old 9 Nov 2021, 11:00 (Ref:4082331)   #11
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
When I read GTR's comment in post #5, this is where I don't relate compared to other fans.

My favourite driver as a kid was Nigel Mansell. Quite frankly I didn't really care much about his personal life. I was interested in his history, how he got to where he was at that point (90/91 season), but my interest in his private life wasn't that deep.

Aside from what footy teams they go for, I'm not attached to drivers outside their driving/racing character/record.
Old 9 Nov 2021, 14:22 (Ref:4082400)   #12
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Is that really a rolemodel to be following?
No one is suggesting he is his role model. IM just suggesting he has a bubbly persona, unlike a number of others in the paddock.
Old 9 Nov 2021, 22:31 (Ref:4082488)   #13
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brown comes across to me as someone who’s happy to have gotten there, rather than unhappy he’s not winning.

The stereotypical modern young drivers whose aim was to be a paid race driver and now he’s succeeded, rather than having an aim to win & anything less is a failure, and being paid to race is just a by product
Old 9 Nov 2021, 23:11 (Ref:4082493)   #14
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
I see your point onefivefive.
Lets see how he handles the path to his first win.
I'd much rather Brown in my garage than someone like Smith at BJR who looks like he's being forced to be there.
Old 10 Nov 2021, 03:51 (Ref:4082514)   #15
Spec83
Rookie

Spec83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’d instantly become a fan of anyone who stands up to SVG and punts him off at the next SMP round

In all seriousness, the younger crew of ADP + WB + Brodie Kostecki (i.e. the quick one) are easy to get behind as they each bring a unique attitude / personality to the grid and will be there winning for a long time to come. A lot of the rest are cookie cutter in their media presentation to the point where it is hard to differentiate them.

Reynolds and his recent anti-vax carry on + his quick backdown makes him a hard no from now on for me.

SVG and Will Davo also like having a dig at each other, which provides some spice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10 Nov 2021, 13:33 (Ref:4082588)   #16
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me Will Brown comes across as an ambitious young boy who's really happy to be there but is humble and doesn't want to be a megastar overnight because he knows it can't be done immediately. Personally, I really like his attitude and it seems to be he can be a really big thing in not so distant future. Can't see any IDGAF attitude in him, not at all.
Old 10 Nov 2021, 14:58 (Ref:4082601)   #17
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
For me Will Brown comes across as an ambitious young boy who's really happy to be there but is humble and doesn't want to be a megastar overnight because he knows it can't be done immediately. Personally, I really like his attitude and it seems to be he can be a really big thing in not so distant future. Can't see any IDGAF attitude in him, not at all.
Totally agree.............we win as a team and we lose as a team, in his words.
Old 15 Nov 2021, 09:55 (Ref:4083556)   #18
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Brown

Quote:
Got that right ...
Old 15 Nov 2021, 10:16 (Ref:4083562)   #19
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Hey guys

( no fighting now)
I've got to be older than you 77, first got to Bathurst in 70 - its a long way from WA; so who were your preferred punters over the years?

I followed Garth Tander through his FF championship to his dotage with 'mic in hand.' The ups & downs have been good value & made me feel relevant as Bathurst rolls around, as my interest waxed & waned.

Before that Colin Bond, going back to Series Prod & the XU1 debut at Warwick Farm. Also a good value driver to watch in every version of 4 wheels, even in the forest.

Will Brown offers similar value in my dotage ...

Last edited by cavvy; 15 Nov 2021 at 10:31. Reason: extra thought
Old 15 Nov 2021, 23:37 (Ref:4083694)   #20
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
Lets see how he handles the path to his first win.
Well that was a pretty short path

Well done Will Brown, first win of many I think. This one was done in a very memorable way
Old 17 Nov 2021, 02:35 (Ref:4083928)   #21
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
I've got to be older than you 77, first got to Bathurst in 70 - its a long way from WA; so who were your preferred punters over the years?
Yes it seems im a fist younger. I discovered car racing in about 76, this beautiful red white and blue 2 door winning ATCC and leading bathurst.
I was a moff fan ever since. He will always be my #1 - I will punch on with anybody who claims to be a bigger moff fan than me!

But also bondy, bobby Morris (even in his holden days "if a holden must when then let it be bob").
Later Bo and Glenn, Lucky Nuts, and DJ then Ambrose.
I was just a little young to appreciate the Geoghegans (too hard to spell!)
but as i got older i realised the talents they were

More importantly was the arch enemies to hate.
Brock (of course), Perkins and Grice. Later years ingall skaife whincup.

In the end I grew up and realised its only a game.
Old 9 Dec 2022, 05:03 (Ref:4136530)   #22
cavvy
Veteran

Garth Tander reinventing himself AGAIN @ Grove Racing.

Mr Whincup very popular right now.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/12/09...-as-co-driver/
Old 9 Dec 2022, 09:47 (Ref:4136545)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Garth Tander reinventing himself AGAIN @ Grove Racing.

Mr Whincup very popular right now.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/12/09...-as-co-driver/
Popular but a bent AMG or two in recent times, and a non-top 10 in Bathurst qualifying were potential signs there is rust there.. mild rust perhaps...